Would the Cree WR-E fit a LED mini mag

Calina

Enlightened
Would the Cree WR-E fit a LED mini mag? The reflector should be deep enough to focus the LED more or less properly. I know there is more to focus than that but nevertleless, could it be made to fit?

What could be expected in term of output? I figure run time should be about the same but much brigther, the light would also likely run cooler.

Would it require a lot of tweaking to mod beside changing the LED?

If it is fairly easy we could get a brand new crop of modders and a big one at that!

Let's find out who will be the first to try it?

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great observation! Maybe a purpose built reflector to retrofit a Mini MagLED. The new "LED Sandwich".

-Goatee

AW

Newly Enlightened
This optic specially designed for XR-E will fit the mini m@g ( with the case removed ). I got this sample optic from a Cree sales person today.

PICT0149-1.jpg

PICT0148-1.jpg

PICT0151.jpg

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
It does. The challenge is mounting the LED to the converter. Haven't figured it out yet and it's very very low on my list of priorities. I got rid of mine so it's down even further down the list. Having said that, the MM LED reflector works great with the Cree.

Calina

Enlightened
AW said:
This optic specially designed for XR-E will fit the mini m@g ( with the case removed ). I got this sample optic from a Cree sales person today.

What do you mean by "with the case removed" ??? You're kidding..

I like you mini light. I've got one almost the same (no laser, more like the Garrity), your looks better. It weights nothing throws a lot of light (at least at the begining) runs a good amount of time (months actually), I just love it. Got it for one dollar! Too bad there out of stock, I would get another half dozen. I use it everyday.

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the XR-E optic and they are mediocre to say the least. Of all the optics/reflectors I've evaluated, the McR-19 works the best. The KL6 is probably the most ideal but we can't buy the reflector only--we have to buy the entire head.

AW

Newly Enlightened
I have tried the optic provided by CREE and it actually produces a beam like a Lux with a NX05. Same beam pattern like an old style SF L1, not bad at all IMHO.

Calina

Enlightened
AW said:
I have tried the optic provided by CREE and it actually produces a beam like a Lux with a NX05. Same beam pattern like an old style SF L1, not bad at all IMHO.

So the optic you were provided with is an NX05? I'm kind of supprised it fits in the LED Mag head, it seems awfully short. What did you do , just drop it in and it fits over the Cree or there are other adjustments to be made.

AW

Newly Enlightened
Calina,

This is not a NX05. It was given to me by a CREE sales person and it works for the XR-E but not a Lux ( gives out a funny pin size hotspot on a Lux ). It fits perfectly over the XR-E with its two notches mounting on both sides of the emitter.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's not an NX05, it merely projects a beam that is similar to the beam produced by a luxeon/nx05 combo.