Pocket Clip for MiniMag?

S

stdlrf11

Has anyone seen a good quality pocket clip for the MiniMag? I've seen some cheap, flimsy ones, but they looked too small and fragile to hold up to daily pants pocket wear. I'd like to get one as tough as the clips on my pocketknives.
If anyone could point me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks in Advance,
stdlrf11

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
If you can tap some 4/40 holes in the Tail cap, this clip is probably the best money can buy. To bad the clip cost more than the light though! :laughing:

Heres the same clip on one of my lights....

ti003.jpg

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
The one that comes with the Minimag accessory kit is pretty good. I have used it on my Minimags for years without breaking it. And it does fit the new Minimag as I have put mine on it. Sadly the square rubber bezel is not to be found so I dont know it that fits the new one or not, might need a bit of tweeking.

S

stdlrf11

The clip that comes in the accessory kit looks flimsy. It looks like the size of a pen clip. I'd imagine its intended for shirt pocket carry. I need something stout enough to fit in my back pants pocket without breaking.

If you can convince me that clip will work, I'll give it a try, but I don't like wasting money. I'd rather find a really stout one.

Also, I don't have the tools to drill or bend metal, so mods are out for now.

Thanks,
stdlrf11

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
Of course I or anyone else cannot convince you of anything. I can simply say that I have had it for probably close to 15 years or so. It has held up for me, however, I have not way of knowing how hard you are upon your tools, nor do you have any idea of how hard I am upon mine. Therefore, you either wait and hopefully find some other, or give the couple bucks the kit costs a try and find out. Your choice, very simple, it would seem that your choices are extremely limited as there has been only one other suggestion, sorry.

S

stdlrf11

Darn!!
I was hoping to be told about some cool new toy.

Heck, if it lasted you fifteen years, Lee1959, then it should hold up for me. :)

Thanks for the help. I'll try it out.

stdlrf11

Monocrom

Flashaholic
The clip that Maglite makes for their Mini-Mag model is indeed an oversized pen clip. Before I bought more powerful, clip-mounted lights, I carried a black mini-Mag in my back pocket with the clip attached. I still have that light. The clip kept it from falling out of my back pocket, and the clip never did break.

S

stdlrf11

I want to put the minimag with the LED conversion in my back left pocket next to my wallet. That is the only space I have left in my pockets for a light. (too many other toys, I guess) I tried putting my TL2 back there, but it made me sit crooked.:) When I put the minimag in the pocket and then sit down, it slips out and hits the floor. That's a no go.

I'm going to try it out. Thanks.
stdlrf11

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast
The only problem I have with the Mag pocket clip is it is always sliding off the light when I go to pull it out of my pocket, or out of the holster. If it would simply stay in place on the light, I'd have no problems with it. I think it's plenty strong, though.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Big_Ed said:
The only problem I have with the Mag pocket clip is it is always sliding off the light when I go to pull it out of my pocket, or out of the holster. If it would simply stay in place on the light, I'd have no problems with it. I think it's plenty strong, though.

Perhaps the fit on your clip is too loose.

Also, are you mounting the clip towards the bezel or the tailcap?

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast
Monocrom, I'm mouting the clip so the head is facing up when in the holster or in my pocket. The clip was straight out of it's package, so if it's loose, it's that way from the factory. It just seems to slip down the barrel when I pull it out. Maybe I could bend it a little to tighten it up, or tape it, although I'd rather not.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Big_Ed said:
Monocrom, I'm mouting the clip so the head is facing up when in the holster or in my pocket. The clip was straight out of it's package, so if it's loose, it's that way from the factory. It just seems to slip down the barrel when I pull it out. Maybe I could bend it a little to tighten it up, or tape it, although I'd rather not.

That's how I carried mine. But yeah, the clip is not supposed to slide that easily. It's supposed to be a bit of a chore to slip it on, then pull it up towards the head. Sounds like your clip is definitely loose. No need for tape though, just bend it in alittle, then try slipping it back on. If it's still too loose, repeat the process. You don't want to bend it so much that you'll have to use a pair of pliers to strech it out again.

strat1080

Newly Enlightened
I can say that the clip is pretty strong. What a coincidence, the other day my wife was playing around with my modded Minimag that has the Mag clip on it. She took off the Mag clip and put it in upside down and kept pushing forward towards the bezel. The clip hit the bezel and followed it and bent upwards with the bottom of the clip about where the lens on the bezel is. Surprisingly when I moved it back and put it on the right way it worked just find and still grabbed my pocket with very good strength. There is no sign of it warping, cracking or bending.

Mag does tend to produce very tough products. They may not be the most innovative or cool but they are tough and high quality. I haven't heard a whole lot of cases of Mag products simply breaking or not functioning. I can't see how Mag's clip would be any weaker than another clip. I feel that the clip for the Minimag is actually stronger than the clip on the SL TL2. That clip actually is flimsy and bends very easily. The Minimag clip doesn't bend very easily. Besides it only costs $3-4 and comes with other cool things like filters and a anti-roll cover. I don't consider that to be a terrible waste of money. I would think a bigger waste of money would be spending more on a clip than the actual light costed and have it be equally or marginally stronger.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
strat1080 said:
I feel that the clip for the Minimag is actually stronger than the clip on the SL TL2. That clip actually is flimsy and bends very easily. The Minimag clip doesn't bend very easily. Besides it only costs $3-4 and comes with other cool things like filters and a anti-roll cover. I don't consider that to be a terrible waste of money. I would think a bigger waste of money would be spending more on a clip than the actual light costed and have it be equally or marginally stronger.

My Streamlight TL-2 LED has been my EDC for several weeks now. Never had a problem with the clip. Still as sturdy as the day I got it. I like the Mag clip, but I don't think it's better than what SL provides on their TL series.

strat1080

Newly Enlightened
My Streamlight TL-2 LED has been my EDC for several weeks now. Never had a problem with the clip. Still as sturdy as the day I got it. I like the Mag clip, but I don't think it's better than what SL provides on their TL series.
I too like the Tl2-LED and didn't say the Minimag clip was better. I just stated that I felt it was stronger. Its pretty obvious when you think about it. The clip on the TL2 is more flimsy than the clip from the Minimag. I do feel the clip from the TL2 is more handy.

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can build your own clip. Take a plate of 2mm Titanium or Stainless Steel , make a model of paper and cut it out from the plate. Then bend a little and...voila:

6Tinys.jpg

The clip at the InovaX5 is selfmade:)

Best regards

____
Tom

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used to EDC a 2AAA Minimag, and I went through the Mag accessory clips every few months. I'd put them on near the tailcap with a drop of glue so I could carry them in my pocket bezel-down.

S

stdlrf11

Long John, Did you have to use any heat to bend the metal? If so, what kind at what temp?

Thanks,
stdlrf11

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
stdlrf11 said:
Long John, Did you have to use any heat to bend the metal? If so, what kind at what temp?

Thanks,
stdlrf11

Yes, I heat it up with a gas burner until it glows red. You can't go wrong with the heat.:)

Best regards

____
Tom