Guns and Ammo questions from a Brit beginner

lightlover

Flashlight Enthusiast
I posted a brief note in another topic, asking for info on "new" gun design, because it's fascinating stuff. I got some e-mails from friendly members concerned at my lack of knowledge - thanks guys.
smile.gif

(I've looked at http://www.thefiringline.com/ )

As a Brit, well, you know we don't have a gun culture. So I'm a beginner.

Anyone got links for info on these designs in particular:

H&K PDW
Alliant Techsystems OICW
H&K G11
H&K CAWS **
VEKTOR CP1 PISTOL
H&K SOCOM Mk 23 PISTOL
FA MAS

Plus the interesting designs of Ammo

Another gun thing that interested me was a site I've lost. The company fits a Laser inside a gun itself, (down the *slide spring* ?) so nothing shows on the outside at all.

TIA,

lightlover
smile.gif

WillnTex

Newly Enlightened
It's a Lasermax I think that is the correct spelling. I have one in my Glock 21.

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
VEKTOR CP1 PISTOL. Stay away from this one. Major piece of crap. Safety issues. AFAIK this is no longer sold in the States.
grin.gif

mikep

Enlightened
I heard bad things about the Vektor also. Actually, I though private citizens can't own conventional handguns now, can they? I thought that only blackpowder arms are allowed these days. (Of course, this is not based on any reliable source)

Unicorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
For good Heckler and Koch (HK) information try www.hkpro.com There is also a great forumn. Shooters.com has lot's of ads, but I got a little turned off by some of the members in the forumn. A little too much flaming, and a bit of what I considered racism.

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Unicorn. I only use shooters.com for searching out company web sites. That HK site is a good one.

lightlover

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Guys !

Fascinating stuff there.
I finally found a confirmation of something I read over 20 years ago - that a gun could fire 3 rounds so fast that they were on the way before recoil could affect the shooter. Now, I know it was the H&K G11.
(Y'know, PK took some of the photos on the hkpro site.)

As you know, firearm ownership is discouraged in the UK: I don't think it matters what colour the powder is ......

Strangely, when I click on shooters.com, I get "HTTP Error 403 - Forbidden".

lightlover
smile.gif
smile.gif
grin.gif
wink.gif

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Hey everyone. I obviously missed this thread while on the road. Just wanted to respond to the Vector CP1 replies.
Perhaps I was just fortunate or the unit that I beta-tested was "smithed." Nonetheless, it functioned flawlessly when I worked out with 200 rounds of Hirtenberger through it. A good friend showed it to me in 1999 when it first became available on our shores. I am quite conservative regarding tools of this type so I wasn't too enamoured with the CP1's esthetics. After all, although the materials and "smithing" of my Les Baer Stainless Premier is state of the art, the JMB design is almost 100 years old and has been battle-tested for 90. Additionally, I do not care for polymer guns, although my Glock Model 19 has grown on me.
Despite my preferences, I will admit that the CP1 did 'catch' my eye. When the offer to 'wring' it out was presented after I 'static-eval'd and dry-fired' it , I casually took it with the expectation it was more form that function. Much to my surprise after I 'limp-wristed' the first 50 "Hirts,' the plastic thing kept on working. The next 100 rounds were clumped in a foot-cirle at 30 feet (distance sound familiar?) after I got 'grip-serious.' The last 50 was done a la modified Harries (a technique I've been teaching and will describe some other time) and went into the center ring of the evil B-27. After getting comfy with the Mini-14-type safety, I cleaned it and carried it Mossad-style in my friend's Thunderwear for the duration of that hot July weekend in SE Virginia. He later told me that he had 'smithed' it a bit. Overall, it was a VERY comfortable handgun to EDC as a CCW due to its smooth profile. I read numerous reviews and the poor devil got literally lambasted by the gunwriters and 'typewriter commandos.' It is still marketed in South Africa. I had almost forgotten about it were it not for this thread. I'll pick-up one the next time I'm there.

KT