XR-E vs. K2 graphs

davidefromitaly

Enlightened
i have compared some graphs from the respective data sheets, K2 in yellow, XR-E in blue, hope it can help

white%20tint%20binning.jpg

this is the comparison of the tint binning

Typical%20Relative%20Luminous%20Flux.jpg

this is how % increase the lumens when current go up (100% at 350ma)

Typical%20Forward%20Current%20Characteristics.jpg

here the voltage vs. current but all we know that the K2 is much higher for now...

light%20output%20vs.%20J.%20temperature.jpg

here the lumens drop due the die temperature raise

relative%20spectral%20power.jpg

spectral power

Typical%20Radiation%20Patterns.jpg

beam pattern

Last edited:

HEY HEY ITS HENDO

Enlightened
cheers David, .... can anyone explain the massive dip around 470-520nm does this suggest there is a particular colour missing ?? and would or does this have any adverse affects ?? Thanks in advance .... :)

ICUDoc

Enlightened
Davidefromitaly

Many thanks for the data. Do you have comparisons of lumens output fot XR-E vs U-bin at different currents?
It would seem to me that running a Cree at 700mA will give us 1.6 times the output of a Ubin But I would love to see data.....

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
david, you can resize them with photoshop or some other editing program, and it will use a differen algorithium than just simply dropping pixels and they will look nicer. If you wish, I could edit them for you..

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Hendo, what you see is the blue peak of the blue LED die and then the gentle peak of the phosphor while there is a weakness in between the two and in the red end of the spectrum. This is typical for the white LEDs that we know that use a blue die paired with phosphor to make white light.
The light isn't full spectrum though, and this can be seen in real life, too, depending on the bin of the LED.

Davidefromitaly ... they aren't ugly at all. They are quite nice in fact :nana: :wave:
Thanx for the hard work there !!! :thumbsup:

bernie

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now that the point has been brought up about the weakness in the cyan range of light from a white led, I wonder who will next make a multi luxeon light with a cyan in there in addition to a red-orange or amber for ultamite color redition? hehehehe

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Excellent comparison. I've done some of these before but having it all in one place makes it 100x more useful.

davidefromitaly

Enlightened
by comparing the tints all we see that cree WC is equal to luxeon X0, WD is like W0 and WI is like V0

but cree binning the xr-e at 350ma and all we know that the tint become cooler with overdrive and warmer with underdrive.

so if we buy a WC tint and drive them at 700-1000ma we will have a blue tint.

for me if we think to push hard the led is best to take a WI (lux V0) tint, WC tint if we stay around 350ma, WB tint if we will stay under 200ma

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
davidefromitaly said:
by comparing the tints all we see that cree WC is equal to luxeon X0, WD is like W0 and WI is like V0

but cree binning the xr-e at 350ma and all we know that the tint become cooler with overdrive and warmer with underdrive.

so if we buy a WC tint and drive them at 700-1000ma we will have a blue tint.

for me if we think to push hard the led is best to take a WI (lux V0) tint, WC tint if we stay around 350ma, WB tint if we will stay under 200ma

Tint shift with the Crees seem less apparent to me. I've underdriven them to around 100mA and it just looked "dimmer" Same with overdrive.