How do you pronounce Fenix?

jon1996

Newly Enlightened
Is it like

Phin-ex or Phoe-nix? I guess you could say it any way but what is the correct way just like this one

Nuwai is it

New-way or New-wah?

NutSAK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've always pronounced Fenix just like the city of Phoenix.

I'm not sure about Nuwai, but I would assume that it has a long "i" sound at the end instead of a long "a" sound.

cdosrun

Enlightened
Interesting, I was wondering about that the other day. I go with "phen-ix" as opposed to "pheen-ix", but I argued with people for ages about the pronunciation of the word "Linux" until I found Linux Tarvold's recording online :)

As for Nuwai, I go with "new-eye"

josean

Newly Enlightened
Spanish guy here!
Limited English skills too, here.

Never understood how a language can be unable to have a complete set of pronounciation rules.

For me the question is easy: Everything is pronounced just as it is written. In my language, once written a word, its pronunciation is fully determined.

So, applying that only rule, fenix is pronounced fenix (just as you'd pronounce it it were a spanish word).

Just4Fun

Newly Enlightened
Interesting, I was wondering about that the other day. I go with "phen-ix" as opposed to "pheen-ix", but I argued with people for ages about the pronunciation of the word "Linux" until I found Linux Tarvold's recording

Well I assumed Fenix was a no brainer, Fen and ix, as the other person said, fen as in pen and ix as in icks..

Now you got me thinking on the Linuk, seeing it's my OS I should know how to say it.. I say it like I always hear it, Lin like you would say pin and then icks so I guess it comes out lin-icks? Wrong? Anyone, anyone?

x2x3x2

Banned
wouldnt it make more sense that it's pronounces like phoenix?
since they make flashlights and phoenix is the mythological fire bird thing, my guess is they went with spelling it fenix cos its shorter n more straight forward spelling ;)

LEDcandle

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are no 'no-brainers' in English, when new and few are not the same pronunciation as sew. :D

Fenix could be :
Fenn-icks
fee-nicks
Fay-nicks

Nuwai could be :
Knew-way
Knew-why
Noo-way
Noo-wai
Or maybe the chinese "nu" (女) which at the moment I can't think of an equivalent alphabetical sound.

Personally, I call it Feenicks and Knew-why.