• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired ***SOLD**** KL1-Infra Red LED Head

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is a KL1 with the TIR optic modified with a high power Osram Golden dragon IR emitter. The emitter is driven at 1A per spec below. It will run off a single 123, 2x123, 3x123, 1 or 2 RCR123, 1 or 2 Li-ion cell, anything between 3 and 16V. It will run in regulation close to an hour and a half from a single 123 cell.

This is better suited for long range type viewing, especially with latest generation NV equipment. This will illuminate objects well over 100 yards with Generation 3 tubes. Because of the amount of IR emitted with such a narrow focus, using indoors is not recommended unless you bounce the IR off the ceiling or use a diffuser.

Data sheet for the IR LED here:

Osram SFH4230 data sheet

The 4230 emits at 850nm with spectral width of 40nm and emits a VERY faint red glow. It is not totally invisible so it cannot be used for covert applications. However the TIR optic narrows the beamwidth sufficiently that one cannot detect the faint glow unless one is almost on axis.

The radiometric power output is spec'd at 440mW. THIS IS NOT A TOY and should be kept away from everyone but a knowledgeable operator Because there is virtually no photons emitted, you cannot rely on normal "blink" reflexes if one were to turn the light on accidentally while looking into the business end. KEEP THIS AWAY FROM CHILDREN I cannot emphasize enough that this is a potentially dangerous but also very useful tool.

(E1L and tailcap not included)

KL1_IRa.jpg

Next shows some "beamshots" using ATN-PS14 Gen III, 64lp resolution tube

IMG_8799.jpg

Same picture but with IR (range is 45 yards according to my range finder)
IMG_8800_Annotated.jpg

IMG_8802.jpg

Same as above but at 121 yards aiming for where arrow head is.
IMG_8803_Annotated.jpg

If you've read this far and heed the warnings ...
I'm asking $130 shipped. I can take paypal cash only or money order. I post a lot on candlepowerforums (screen name CM) and have had many positive transactions there doing custom modifications for others.

Thanks for looking

Last edited:

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: KL1-Infra Red LED Head

wow cool! Yeah IR is bad for the retina! I bet you can feel the heat on your skin with 440mW! This sure beats SureFire's IR led as that's only 10mW!!!

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast

IsaacHayes said:
wow cool! Yeah IR is bad for the retina! I bet you can feel the heat on your skin with 440mW! This sure beats SureFire's IR led as that's only 10mW!!!

I bought one (the M1?) and it was very anemic. Good for viewing things indoors but it had no range. Since then I went on a quest and finally made three of these KL1's. One's on my rifle, the other is a handheld and this one's for sale.

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast

Bump to add pictures thru Gen III tube