Surefire waterproof?

ADDICTED2LITE

Newly Enlightened
A couple of my modded KL1 heads leak around the bezel, I need something to seal them up with. Whatever surefire uses works great, but its a pain to remove the bezel, is there anything that doesn't lock it down so tight?

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I am correct you can use the Blue Loctite which will help seal and hold the bezel, but can be loosened when needed. Check for more information.
ADDICTED2LITE said:
A couple of my modded KL1 heads leak around the bezel, I need something to seal them up with. Whatever surefire uses works great, but its a pain to remove the bezel, is there anything that doesn't lock it down so tight?

greenLED

Flashaholic
Without knowing more details about how you did the mod (ie. are you using a thicker window, does the bezel ring sit all the way down?, etc.):

thicker o-rings?
add more lube: first to the o-ring groove (with o-ring off) and then on top of the o-ring

louie

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've looked for years for the same answer. I don't like any of the Loctite products, as even the low strength ones, which can be hard to find, don't look to me like they will fill all the voids. Any fluid not in the threads stays liquid, and minor readjustments after a minute require breaking the seal, and they leave crumbs when (if) you take it apart again. The original Surefire stuff looks a bit tar-like to me. Looked in the plumbing section at Home Depot, didn't see anything that looked appropriate. Someone suggested Vibratite, couldn't find it locally.

Right now, I'm trying teflon plumber's pipe tape, which looks promising on an initial suck/blow test. Easily available in many sizes.

22hornet

Enlightened
Surefire E1L and Fenix L2T leaked

Yesterday I took my Surefire E1L and my Fenix L2T with me in the shower, and, after showering I found both lamps had some, but not much, drops of water in their interior!:mad::sssh:

If a Surefire is meant to be able to withstand depths of 10m/33ft, it is rather BAD that it leaks under a shower!

Could it be that the clicking on and off of the lamps caused this??

Thank for any information.
Kind regards,
joris

Lamps that do very well under my shower are the Peak Matterhorn and the Fenix E0, P1 and E1 :grin2:

BBL

Enlightened
where did the surefire leak? I wash my KL1 with various bodies regularly under water and have never had it leak.

ADDICTED2LITE

Newly Enlightened
The mods were replacing the emitter and reflector, the way I test it is fill the sink with water and drop in the light, watch where the bubbles come from.

Size15's

Flashaholic
22hornet said:
Difficult to say, but I guess water must have come in from the bottom.
Bottom of what?
Was the TailCap screwed on all the way?
Is the o-ring sufficiently lubricated and undamaged?
(Did you rotate the TailCap whilst it was in the water?)

Components really require double o-rings if they are to be rotated underwater.

22hornet

Enlightened
Size15's said:
Bottom of what?
Was the TailCap screwed on all the way?
Is the o-ring sufficiently lubricated and undamaged?
(Did you rotate the TailCap whilst it was in the water?)

Components really require double o-rings if they are to be rotated underwater.

Thanks for the reply, Size15's.
The tailcaps srewed on all the way and remained so all the time. (I know not to twist tailcap or head while in the water) The only thing that happened was the clicking on and off.
Both are new lamps (less than a month old); the rubber of the L2T was lubricated and the E1L seemed well lubricated so I left it as it was. O-rings on both lights seem in good shape.

Kind regards,
Joris

Size15's

Flashaholic
So where exactly inside the E1L was it wet?
Inside the TailCap in the area of the spring contact?
Inside the body including the SF123A battery?
Inside the bezel in the area of the +ve contact? (You should not disassemble the KL1 bezel and if you haven't and there is water behind the window then you should arrange to return it to SureFire).

If the threads are wet then its possible that is the water remaining at the o-ring seal that was not visible when the external surfaces were dried off (assuming you dried it off before opening it?) and that by unscrewing the bezel or TailCap the water was dragged over the o-ring so that the threads became wet...

22hornet

Enlightened
When I saw the small drops (it was nothing more than that) I quickly dried them. The only drops of water - as I remember - were near the bottom on the sides of the battery that was nearest to the tailcap.

Latest posts