DST ends

yuandrew

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, since I'm going to sleep in a little while, I went to set my clocks back an hour since DST ends this Sunday morning at 2:00am. I just did the alarm clock, my watch, and the clocks in the kitchen and the living room. The programmable thermostat, sprinkler timer, outdoor lighting controller, and car clocks can wait until tomorrow morning.

This will be the last time we are observing the "traditional" Daylight Savings Time. Starting next year; DST will begin on March 11 and end in November 4.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daylight_saving_time#United_States

Last edited:

fnmag

Flashlight Enthusiast
:rant: DST should be done away with. The original reasons for its implementation are no longer valid. It's a pain to reset all the clocks, watches, etc, etc. :rant: It has negative effects on the human condition. :rant:

allthatwhichis

Enlightened
:awman:
This is my first night back on the job after a nice vacation... moving... now I have to be here an EXTRA hour... :ohgeez: Atleast it is OT. :grin2: I want to go HOME though... :sleepy:

edit:
I should have left work 15 minutes ago... :rant: :dedhorse:

Last edited:

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I was just going to post about setting your watches & clocks back one hour, but I see I was beaten to the (Subzero Ice) Punch (obscure Digimon reference there). :) I got up this morning at 5:51am, but when I looked at my watch while I was in the bathroom, it read almost 7:00 - it wasn't until I fired up the computer almost ten minutes later that I noticed it was just after 6:00am, and then I had one of those "Damn!!! I could have had a V8!!!" moments and realised that we were now on Standard Time.

eluminator

Flashlight Enthusiast
fnmag said:
:rant: DST should be done away with. The original reasons for its implementation are no longer valid. It's a pain to reset all the clocks, watches, etc, etc. :rant: It has negative effects on the human condition. :rant:

What reasons? It would be nice if all laws that had negative effects on us would be done away with. What then should we do with the millions of highly paid but useless government employees and the tens of thousands of even higher paid thugs that run all the government agencies?

eluminator

Flashlight Enthusiast
idleprocess said:
I wish I knew why farmers were big proponents of DST. QUOTE]

I think this is a myth. When DST was first put into effect, farmers were against it. Maybe people somehow were vaguely familiar with farmers and DST and got it backwards. Most farmers then had cows to milk and the cows wanted to be milked every 12 hours, despite what those in power in Washington decreed.

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like it. I like the way Halloween is dark suddenly. It's spooky. At 5:30 the kids start coming out, and they're done by 8:00. After handing out candy and scaring kids, it's time for green too go out, too, for some fun. Well, next year, without DST, halloween will start at 6:30, and end at 9:00. You just can't start while it's light out. For one, the homes will not be ready. And it's not scary. That means that if you have plans for a concert or something that starts at 8:00 sharp, it's still Trick'or'treat time.

This really gets me. I'm used to the current system and like it better than the proposed system. Was anybody thinking when they came up with this lame idea?? It's just another thing for people to have to keep track of in their lives so they don't think as much about what's really going on (/end conspiracy rant).

mauiblue

Newly Enlightened
Hawaii doesn't fool around with DST thank God. I like it though when you guys over the pond fall back an hour. It gives me another hour to do business over the telephone with mainland merchants. It is just a bit more convenient for me.

Empath

Flashaholic
Seth Thomas, Chaney Instruments, Emerson, and likely more clock manufacturers have some clocks that contain an additional clocking circuit that permits their clocks and clock radios to reset themselves properly at the beginning and end of DST. Unlike atomic clocks and watches, they don't receive a signal by radio indicating DST.

I'm surprised they didn't have lobbyists making sure that Congress understood that modifying the dates next year makes that feature useless, and actually complicates matters, and will require four manual correction a year. Who knows how many obsolete clocks and radios are out there now?

I've got one clock from Chaney that is installed up high, and difficult to get to that automatically set itself for DST. Now, I'll have to get up there four times a year to reset it; twice at the new change dates, and twice at the old change dates. Of course I could just take it down and replace it with an atomic clock, which is what I'll probably do.

BVH

Flashaholic
We should all lobby for perm daylight time. Then clocks will be cheaper because no intelligence is needed in their circuitry. We won't have to stand on ladders, chairs and other objects to reset them so we won't get hurt when we fall - less medical costs, less prescription costs. Man, we can save a lot of money here!

fnmag

Flashlight Enthusiast
eluminator said:
What reasons? It would be nice if all laws that had negative effects on us would be done away with. What then should we do with the millions of highly paid but useless government employees and the tens of thousands of even higher paid thugs that run all the government agencies?

Throw the bums out! :poof: Let the chips fall where they may!

yuandrew

Flashlight Enthusiast
Seth Thomas, Chaney Instruments, Emerson, and likely more clock manufacturers have some clocks that contain an additional clocking circuit that permits their clocks and clock radios to reset themselves properly at the beginning and end of DST. Unlike atomic clocks and watches, they don't receive a signal by radio indicating DST.

I have an alarm clock by Emerson which sets itself when plugged in and has the automatic DST feature; I though it was the "atomic" model when I first got it but that turned out not to be true. I like the automatic DST feature but due to the change, that feature is pretty much useless now and more of a hassle.

My only workaround was to program the clock to Arizona or Hawaii's timezone but set my local time into it since those two places don't observe DST then manually reset the clock myself on the next DST.

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast
God created creatures with the ultimate body clock...when the sun is up, it's get up and eat. We had to re-think that with DST. :ohgeez: ;)