best setup for best throw at short range

WildRice

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am looking for the best way to set up some optics. I want to use a LUX III to throw AS MUCH light as possible with the smallest amount of spill. I have found if I use a 3/4" half sphere optic right on the LED, and a 2" dia lens with a 2.5" focal length, I can focus the light down to 12-18 inches at about 12feet with minimal loss of light from around the lenses. What would be REALLY nice would be a pattern like a theratical spotlight with a REALLY sharp edge.

Last edited:

Kiessling

Flashaholic
LedLenser offer some lights that do this, they call them "Moon" lights as the beam looks like a moon. Unfortunately though the lights aren't that well made and they use 5mm LEDs for this, but maybe the lens can work in your application, too? :thinking:

Here's a pic of a MoonLenser vs an old Arc AAA:

ll_aaa_-_moon.jpg

bernie

WildRice

Flashlight Enthusiast
Kiessling, originally I was thinking that, but the projection of a 'moon' mode is the lens focusing on the tip on the 5mm casing. I tried it with a short focus lens and a LUX, it kinda worked, but a lot of light was lost before it even hit the lens.
Ideally, a moon mode profile would be perfect, but alas, I need to keep is half-way simple, with a minimal amount of parts.
THANKS
Jeff

enLIGHTenment

Enlightened
Moon beams are hard. Efficient moon beams are even worse.

The best you're probably going to get short of spending a lot of money on a illumination design software is to get an off the shelf narrow angle TIR optic. Note that this won't give you a true moon beam but only a very narrow spot with some corona.

If must have a moon beam then you're in for a challenge. One idea would be to use an XR-E to illuminate a high efficiency diffuser and then image the diffuser with an achromat lens. Note that the diffuser and lens must be large enough to capture the entire 75 degree XR-E beam. As such, the diffusion method can't be used with Luxeons because the beamwidth is too wide. Expect a lot of trial and error.

You might want to hop down to the custom lights forum and ask if any of the micro-manufacturers there have the capability to design and build a custom optical system to meet your requirements.

Mike Painter

Flashlight Enthusiast
WildRice said:
Kiessling, originally I was thinking that, but the projection of a 'moon' mode is the lens focusing on the tip on the 5mm casing. I tried it with a short focus lens and a LUX, it kinda worked, but a lot of light was lost before it even hit the lens.
Ideally, a moon mode profile would be perfect, but alas, I need to keep is half-way simple, with a minimal amount of parts.
THANKS
Jeff

Minimum parts is easy. Use a fresnel lens.
Finding one is hard, but Teckna has such a lens available for one of their lights.