WIP Vintage HOMART brass 50's Flashlight - M@G85

missionaryman

Enlightened
This is a work in progress of a beautiful vintage light I saw on eBay and picked up fo $40 delivered to Australia - the delivery was about 2/3 of the price.
It seems since AW made his awesome vintage ROP everyone's getting the bug to modify a classic and I'm no exception.

The light hasn't arrived yet but is on it's way from Wyoming, It's a 3 D cell brass and Steel body.
The reason I singled this one out and paid so much - a 3" diameter head with steel reflector and glass lens.

Homart4.jpg

homart3.jpg

Homart2.jpg

Homart1.jpg

My first step will be to polish and clean up the body and then to either clean or replace the lens, looking at the pictures either the lens or reflector are very discoloured - don't know where I'll get a lens that big from.

The ideal set up will be 3 x Li Ion D Cells + a Hotdriver and a bi pin socket with a Mica heat shield between the 1185 and the grenades.

If the D Li Ions don't come through then I'll try 9 x 4/3A 4500mah Sanyo NIMH with a smartpack. This method will also give me a place to mount the KIU on the end of the pack. I'm counting on the body being bigger inside than a D cell M@g.

I will also try and reduce switch resistance - I don't really know anything about electronicals :huh: other than if you use lots of copper and make the path of current as simple and clean as possible you minimise resistance.

It may take ages for this light to finish because I'm a bit :broke: and I'm waiting for D Li Ions to surface.

Last edited:

missionaryman

Enlightened
I guess I'll reserve this space for the completed light so I can do a before and after..

I just noticed that the seller has tried to cover up what looks like a hole that's been repaired on the head just under the bezel, I can see what looks like a copper patch on the head close up - :shakehead naughty fellow isn't he.

I guess I'll just try and not look at that side when I'm holding it

Last edited:

missionaryman

Enlightened
It finally came in yesterday that was the longest month of my life!
I've been de-scuffing and polishing all night and it's coming up nicely, that blemish wass just tape and it cleaned off - not a hole which is great.

missionaryman

Enlightened
progress pics
Head after polishing & cleaning:
restoredhead-1.jpg

One side before cleaning, other side after cleaning:
unrestored1side.jpg
restored1side.jpg

The Homart logo - this really is a beautiful light and feels very nice in the hand:
restoredHOMART.jpg