Traveling Light

sskyy

Newly Enlightened
I am looking for a small, relatively cheap, probably single cell light to use while traveling/backpaking. Any suggestions?
Thanks for the help :)

DaveG

Enlightened
The Palight or Paklite both run on a 9 volt battery. Both small and take up no room.

NutSAK

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 on the Dorcy 1AAA, especially if you can find one with the old reflector, and not the "fisheye" optic.

Another great choice would be the Gerber Infinity Ultra. It's $15, and I would much rather have this for the AA battery size and excellent runtime on alkalines. It tailstands for ceiling bounce and has a handy clip for clipping to the brim of a hat for headlamp use. Takes up very little room.

Last edited:

smokelaw1

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Fenix P1 is a nice travel light, IMHO. Not cheap-cheap, but compared to some of what we call a "standard" light around here....pretty cheap.
It's single cell, but the 123 can be hard to come by, depending on where you are.

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
Flashlight Reviews reports that a very big travel website (cannot remember which one, will have to look) recommends the Inova X1 (new version) as the top travel flashlight. Who am I to argue with them, it is my EDC and would fill your bill nicely as $20 and uses 1 AA battery.

speederino

Enlightened
Lee1959, that big travel website I think you are referring to is Doug Dyment's onebag.com, an informative 'pack light' travel site. Doug recently upgraded to the Innova X1 from a lowly minimag. I spend a fair amount of time travelling on business and I have recently upgraded to the L0P-SE from the Fenix L0P. The L0P fits in well with my travel battery power scheme which is centered around NIMH AAA's.

Flash_Gordon

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another vote for the excellent Fenix L1 (P or T). Very good quality and excellent output for size.

If you are traveling light with only one light, stick with an AA battery size. They are the most common and generally available anywhere in the world you can find any battery.

Mark

l1s125

Newly Enlightened
I agree with the Inova X1 as a travel light. It uses easily found AA batteries but will probably last so long that you won't need to find extra batteries before you come back home from shorter trips.

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think I will recommend a headlamp in every "I need a..." thread from now on.

Seriously a good headlamp rules, most have features that are only starting to appear on handhelds. Like multi levels. There are some good values on cheapies but the best values are the Princeton Tec (PT) EOS and the PT Quad.

For a handheld the Fenix L1S is a great value, Two level 1AA Luxeon light. Its worth the extra $12 over the Infinity or X1.

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also like the Inova X1. It's tough as nails, bright, and runs for a long time on 1 AA cell. I like the fact that it (like the old CMG Infinity Ultra) can make lots of light on used batteries that won't work in other lights or other devices anymore.

TORCH_BOY

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome, The Fenix L1T is the one I use when traveling, 1 AA cell and two levels
of brightness, fits in the pocket perfectly

sskyy

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the response. Looks like the Inova X1, any experiences with the switches on these as I have heard some bad reports?
Also out of interest what would your ultimate travel light be, regardless of price etc?

whippoorwill

Enlightened
Lee1959 said:
Flashlight Reviews reports that a very big travel website (cannot remember which one, will have to look) recommends the Inova X1 (new version) as the top travel flashlight. Who am I to argue with them, it is my EDC and would fill your bill nicely as $20 and uses 1 AA battery.

Good choice!

Casual Flashlight User

Flashlight Enthusiast
sskyy said:
Thanks for the response. Looks like the Inova X1, any experiences with the switches on these as I have heard some bad reports?
Also out of interest what would your ultimate travel light be, regardless of price etc?

HDS EDC U85GT with a 2xCR123 tube in reserve.

CFU

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to CPF sskyy.

Get a yellow Surefire G2. Then retrofit it with a BugOutGear 3W LED module. Keep the lamp in a SC1 spares carrier along with 6 extra batteries. That way if the LED craps out or you need a brighter light you can reinstall the lamp. The down side is the LED module won't fit in the spares carrier.

I travel with a E2O and a full SC3 spares carrier. Good runtime and output. I know its an incan but it is a very simple and reliable light. I use a twisty switch so if it doesn't light its either the batteries or the lamp which I can replace both out in the field.

As for an LED I travel with a Arc-P AAA. Not a lot of light but it is always in my pocket. I also travel with a Petzl Tikka.

I try to keep it simple.

kelmo