A 9/11 Memorial Built On Beams of Light

Darell

Flashaholic
Don't know a thing about it, but I like the rendering.

I28013-

Which doesn't seem to show up here...

D

**DONOTDELETE**

looks like ghosts. tell me it doesn't.
Another wasteful indulgence of power..wasteful of electricity...
and does anyone understand this;
"Con Edison, the electric utility, is donating the electricity, which will be drawn not from existing electric service in the area but from a power grid once used by an Embassy Suites Hotel that has yet to reopen since Sept. 11..." Is that doubletalk, or what?
And this clinched my opposition to it:
"...The beams will be lighted from nightfall until 11 p.m., but are subject to temporary shutdown based on Federal Aviation Administration concerns about how the light plays in certain weather conditions and conservationists' concerns about the impact on bird migratory patterns. They worry the lights could draw migrating birds to their deaths..."
...after all it's just some grand exercise of ego for some 'artist'...better he should go carve something in a rock somewhere...
imho
frown.gif

L.E.D.

Enlightened
Ted the LED, MANY places in the US of A could be seen as a wasteful indulgence of electricity almost every day, lol! (Las Vegas, Water theme parks, Theme parks, Lots of things in the malls, etc.)
And, if you think about it, a lot of art is just a grand exercise of ego for their creators. (concert, fireworks, martial arts demos, giant "abstract" sculptures, MANY more)

L.E.D.

Enlightened
most people probably wouldn't enjoy those though, they're stupid but they're a majority.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

...and that's why dozens of species become extinct every day, and more of the planet is chewed up into oblivion every day, and more USAnians become obese and diabetic every day, and more people die of starvation every day... here's to the do-do, the passenger pigeon, and the carolina ivory billed woodpecker, and here's to the 'stupid majority' (not really stupid, but kept in ignorance) soon to be extinct itself if it doesn't wise up...
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ColdLight:
most people probably wouldn't enjoy those though, they're stupid but they're a majority.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

D

**DONOTDELETE**

all the more reason not to use the circus- like lights of Vegas as a solemn memorial...they can all go too...
how about a memorial incorporating the theme of self-sufficiency instead of world
dominion, like maybe a giant solar panel? Or wind turbine; a huge kinetic memorial, that produces energy and protects the world, instead of 'using it up'
until it's completely gone...?

L.E.D.

Enlightened
yes ted it's quite sad. Think about this: Everytime you breathe air anywhere on earth, you are inhaling minute amounts of Strontium-90, which was dispersed throughout THE atmosphere when atomic bombs were detonated. Strontium 90 is a mutagen, (carcinogenic). it causes cancer. Every human now contains strontium-90, as well as many other harmful ingredients.

Humans are experiencing what you call "exponential growth". Most organisms do too, but they are exposed to many limiting factors (i.e. temperature, sibling rivalry, food, predators, water, etc.) once they reach a maximum due to limiting factors, their population chart goes into a sinosoidal movement. Now us, we have destroyed almost all limiting factors for us (ie. Air-conditioning, our babies don't kill each other, we horde food, we have guns to kill any predator, we have flowing water from our faucets, etc. compare this to limiting factors listed above) so, our population will keep growing until something REALLY bad happens (nuke, all natural resources drained, etc.)
And to make it worse, we are all over-consumers, I'm sure I don't need to explain what an overconsumer is. and, we're pissing in our own pool figuratively speaking (we are polluting like crazy). If you really think about it, Humans ARE DETRIMENTAL TO THE EARTH! We haven't helped it one bit, and if you say we created Carbon Dioxide for plants, large mammals (elephant, rhino, etc.) easily do enough of the job. It's as if we DON'T BELONG on earth. please help Ted the LED this is starting to get really creepy.

Tree

Flashlight Enthusiast
Geez! All I meant to say was "look at the pretty lights", and ask if anyone knew the specs.

But on the new subject of my post. I make my living on wasteful indulgences of electricity. Does a 5 piece band need 128 575watt lights so that an audience can see them, no. But it makes for a better show. Does the same show need 40 of the same lights to illuminate up walls in different color, 60 more of the same lights to illuminate tables and bars, 18 more lights to display custom gobos, 12 1025 watt moving lights to move even more gobos and colors around the room? Not to mention the ridiculous size of the sound system and video screens and the intense skytracker lights that surround the building. And this is a medium size show!!

On any given night there are a couple of these shows, but many nights in my city there are dozens like this and even more are bigger and more elaborate. None of it is necessary to our survival, but it is done simply because we can.

I like the idea of having a self sufficient memorial instead of a power draining one. But if the US passed a law that any memorial had to provide it's own power, then we would have a lot less memorials for public view at night. Right now anyway, people have to take the initiative on their own to utilize the resources that are productive to the future.

Will we use up all of our natural resources and have the human race fade away and die? I don't know. Looking at the earths past, there have been many "civilizations" that have come and gone so it's not unlikely. I would like to believe that there are many people out there who are figuring out ways of not using the earths resources to keep us alive in today's society. I read about them all the time, but they are not being publicized because it's not a "hot" new story of the moment.

In my opinion (UH OH) it mostly boils down to greed and convenience. There are companies/people that are greedy and use up whatever is convenient to save them money no matter what they destroy in the process. And we use those products/services because it's convenient to us and we don't have to hunt for food and fend for ourselves and light up the night with fires like we did in the recent past. (I know this is a simplified version.)

It is at the same time scary and awe-inspiring how far we have come in the past 100 years, a nanosecond in the grand time scheme of the earth. Without modern technology we would not be having this conversation for the whole world to see. But all this technology is using up the planets resources.

Are the Amish better off than the rest of American society? There are still entire countries in this world that live off the earth without any modern technology to help them. I'm sure there is a middle ground somewhere. I hope we figure it out because we realize it's better for us and not because there is no other choice.

I don't have all the answers, heck, I don't have any answers. I know there are a lot of incomplete thoughts but I was tired of typing, I just wanted to post some of my opinion within my own thread. Maybe if I got a voice controlled computer, or better yet install a chip in my head to transmit thoughts to the computer, Hmmm... necessity is the mother of invention. Here we go again.
smile.gif

D

**DONOTDELETE**

...well said Tree...and did you realize that because of our 'capitalist society' (if you call that a society) the evolution of mankind came to a halt a long time ago (a few thousand years)? Natural selection of the physically fittest, has been ceased -- and look around -- obviously smarter brains no longer have anything to do with survival either! Looks like it's survival of the most selfish, greediest, least compassionate...but read *Ishmael* (by Daniel Quinn)...the gorilla tells it better...
wink.gif

Tree

Flashlight Enthusiast
For those who catch this in time and are interested NBC news is doing a small report on the lights in few minutes. It's 5:40pm central time now.

Tree

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great pics. Any real life observations?

It seems the rendering looked more like the towers where the actual lights look more like a monument.

busbar

Newly Enlightened
The Saturday 10PM news carried a clip from the WTC "light sculpture," showing one demounted [xenon arc] lamp that looked ~3"OD 'at the bulge' ~12" glass-envelope length. 88 lamps combined for 0.616 megawatts. The TEK specs list "208/480 volt, 3 phase power"...I love it!! Now, do airborne critters experience pleasantly bucolic warmth or horrifying spontaneous combustion?

Latest posts