Surefire Beast

knife guy

Newly Enlightened
I have been looking around the forums here for a while. It seems that the polarion is putting out much more light than the surefire beast. And it cost 1/4 of the price. Is the SF beast worth the $4,100.00? Is the Polarion durable? It looks like it's made of plastic. I like SF brand lights the best, but think 4,100 is too much money for 2000 lumens. Or are the other superlights just claiming higher numbers than they really put out. I've read the reviews and see that the SF is not meant for throw, but how does it compare to the M6's throw. Is it less than that, or more? These are some questions I need to know before making the purchase. Thanks.

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I shouldn't even be posting, as I have neither, but I will say that the M6 isn't really a throw monster. I'd guess that the beast would out throw the M6 by at least double. Hopefully, some of the members who actually have both will post.

What are you planning on using the light for? There may even be cheaper or better options that the polarion.

knife guy

Newly Enlightened
I just want a light that is super powerful just for the wow factor. I really don't need anything in this power level, as the M6 is pretty much all I need. I just kinda want it. The x990 I wouldn't consider buying because I really don't like the way it looks to put it nicely:) I like the construction of SF lights as posted above. Plus I like the 12 lumen led option built in. If it out throws the M6X2 Then I might seriously consider buying one as the M6 throws pretty far in my opinion while still giving off plenty of corona. I don't want a spotlight. They are not really of much use to me. My major use would be while walking around in the woods.Thanks.

Ken J. Good

Enlightened
The Polarion PH40 Helios body and bezel are made of aerospace grade aluminum (6061 T6) with a Type III Hard Ano finish.

Throw, compared to a 350-500 lumen M6, not even in the same category of lights.

Don't get me wrong, I have an M6 and it is a great light, but you are comparing a car to a semi-truck.

NAW

Enlightened
Although I don't own the Helios, I think it is just one heck of a engineering marvel. From what I seen it is one awesome light. Keep in mind the Helios is a 40W HID and the Beast is a 35W HID. The Beast wouldn't stand a chance...

Free

Enlightened
I have The Beast (original version) as well as the Helios.

The Helios is more compact, brighter, and more reasonably priced. The Helios is also a very solid well built light, there is nothing plastic about it.

Hard to say which one looks cooler. That would be personal preference, but I think they both look pretty cool.

BVH

Flashaholic
Free, I definitely think the Helios looks cooler - but then again I may not be impartial! Unless you've held a Helios, its not too hard to think it may be made of plastic based on some of the photos here on CPF. You've got to see it in-person to get an idea of its beauty!

HammerSandwich

Newly Enlightened
knife guy said:
I just want a light that is super powerful just for the wow factor. I really don't need anything in this power level...
You're considering dropping $4k for "wow factor"?

Size15's

Flashaholic
HammerSandwich said:
You're considering dropping $4k for "wow factor"?

In this world there are ever increasing numbers of people for whom $4k isn't a lot of money and as a result the number of people with the means and motive to drop $4k for the "wow factor" buy spending it on anything is increasing also.

EVAN_TAD

Newly Enlightened
Can the Helios use lithium and rechargeable batteries like the Beast?
Is there a low setting?
The beast comes in a nice lockable case.

The Beast 1 was released well before the Helios.

I own the original beast and am very happy with it.

Ken, is the Helios made in the US?

Ken J. Good

Enlightened
Helios is made in South Korea.

It uses a proprietary Lithion-Ion rechargeable battery.

1 setting...LOUD, no low setting at this point.

Best to you.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
If you want a WOW factor, get a XeVision 50W and try to work your way into Dan's graces when he offers the Barn Burner 75W upgrade to those of us who bought them at the first 50W GB. None of these lights comes remotely close to the Barn Burner, which I also recently bought from a person who needed to sell his. The spotlight shootouts make it clear.

KROMATICS

Enlightened
NAW said:
You mean the Mini Beast?

I heard its around $4000.

Ack! They really need something in the sub $1500 range above the M6 but below the Beast II. I thought this would be it but I guess not.

NAW

Enlightened
KROMATICS said:
Ack! They really need something in the sub $1500 range above the M6 but below the Beast II. I thought this would be it but I guess not.

The base price I heard was $4160.

I have no idea as to why the price is so high compared to other small HID lights like the Nextorch, Microfire, etc...

It better be Instant On, instant restrike, rechargeable, a one hour runtime at least, should incorporate LED as secondary illumination, etc. And it better be able to outshine the 24W Microfire HID.

Because if it ain't then I think there should be no reason as to the high price tag... but maybe someone who knows more about the specs of the Mini can pitch in with more information.

Last edited:
The Beast

I just took a look through the SF cat. and spotted this flashlight called the Beast.Anybody have one of these or used one? This thing looks amazing and the price of it is crazy,$4900.00 WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Re: The Beast

I have jsut handled a Beast II at the IWA (Germany) and it is rpetty clear why it is more expensive then other HIDs of similar output. It is built like a tank. It has secondary output. It has rechargeable and non rechargeable option. It breathes quality. None of the others I know ca match this.

The Helios is less sturdy but maybe a bit brighter (I can't say for sure). It is also blessed with a very short start-up time, just like the Beast. It is smaller and a bit lighter, too. And it should throw further due to the different beam shape, but I couldn't check this for sure.

Both destroy a SF M6 hands down. Except for carry options maybe :D

The X990 is a very good performer, especially for the price. It isn't watertight though.

*I* would get the Beast II ... for the CR123 option and secondary level as well as build quality. But that is just me.

bernie

P.S.: isn't the Helios now at about $2000?

seery

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had a Beast II on order for several months and according to SF last
week, it may be shipping to my dealer very soon!

Evan - The points you made are some of the exact reasons I chose the
Beast II over the Helios or any other HID light. I'm envious you have one
of the original Beast lights.

Here are my personal reasons for choosing the Beast over the competition.

- Extreme build quality. Nothing else even comes close.
- The fact that SF is in no hurry to release it. Some may look at this as a
negative, it proves to me SF's promise to make sure it's done right.
- Low level LED's. A huge plus.
- Perfect blend of throw and intense flood for my needs.
- Ability to use primary 123 cells and the included rechargeable handle.
This is extremely important IMO.
- The well thought out case with integral charger and charger options. The
spare handle threads into a dedicated spot in the case!
- Everything needed/desired is included from the start. No getting nailed on
all the extras.
- Surefire's great track record and customer service here in the states.
- LIFETIME warranty. SF recently fixed a 13 year old 9N, no questions asked.
- MADE IN THE USA! This alone would be reason enough.

At SHOT 2007, I checked out the Helios at Matt Burkett's booth as well as
the Beast II and other HID's. Compared to the Beast, the others IMO seemed
like well made toys. Just my opinion of course.

EVAN_TAD said:
Can the Helios use lithium and rechargeable batteries like the Beast?
Is there a low setting?
The beast comes in a nice lockable case.

The Beast 1 was released well before the Helios.

I own the original beast and am very happy with it.

Ken, is the Helios made in the US?

hoppy1010

Newly Enlightened
I have the Helios PF40 and it is one amazing light
Surefires are nice just a bit out of my price range.
For the money I would go for the helios. I don't
think you could find a better guy to deal with than
Ken. Thats just my opinion and everyone is entitled
to one.:thumbsup:

Regards Jay