Power outage at motel yesterday

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I was in a motel yesterday when the power went out at night. Their generator started up but the transfer switch didn't throw, so the whole building was pitch black! Not even a working emergency light in the hallways.

I felt bad for the guests who didn't have a flashlight. I saw a couple of dim yellow incandescents moving around in the hallways but nothing worth writing home about. Mosty of them were fumbling around in the dark.

I had my QIII with me but the RCR123 didn't have much of a charge left, so I dug out a Dorcy 2-C LED and a River Rock 2AA from my vehicle, and my MiniMagLED was already in the room. I grabbed my Dorcy and spent a little bit of time in the hallway, lighting the way for other guests.

:candle:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
PhotonWrangler said:
I grabbed my Dorcy and spent a little bit of time in the hallway, lighting the way for other guests.

:candle:

I wonder how many of them actually thanked you.

Casual Flashlight User

Flashlight Enthusiast
We never get power cuts in the UK...
frown.gif
...good job all the same.
goodjob.gif

CFU

Mundele

Newly Enlightened
Same thing happened to me on a business trip a few years back... I had my trusty headlamp with me (always when I travel)

--Matt

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Monocrom said:
I wonder how many of them actually thanked you.

Most did, but there was one woman who said absolutely nothing as I illuminated the hallway and then her door while she fumbled for her key. Later on she ventured out into the dark hallway again, and I overheard her complaining to someone else that I wasn't out there anymore with the light.
:ironic:

MG_Saldivar

Newly Enlightened
PhotonWrangler said:
I overheard her complaining to someone else that I wasn't out there anymore with the light.
:ironic:

She's probably still wondering why all those people in New Orleans last August "didn't just leave.":wtf:

Bullseye00

Newly Enlightened
re: I overheard her complaining to someone else that I wasn't out there anymore with the light.

PhotonWrangler, she probably thought you were part of the motel staff and you were just doing your job.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Bullseye00 said:
PhotonWrangler, she probably thought you were part of the motel staff and you were just doing your job.

Yeah, that's possible. It's not the kind of place where the staff wears uniforms, so it's possible that she couldn't tell me from an employee. Still, she could've said thanks, ya know?

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
watt4 said:
or, the thanks alternative, Nice light!" :)

Yeah, that would've been much nicer! :)

I did catch a quick glimpse of one LED flashlight way off in the distance. I think it was a single 5mm LED light.

I'm going to recommend that they keep a stash of LED keychain lights on hand for these situations when guests are caught without a light. It would be good P.R. for them, and it might even bring some new LED fanatics into the fold.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Last summer (05) I brought my tri-lux3 mag with me when I went with my Dad to Orlando Florida. We also went to Daytona, and were up high in a hotel overlooking the beach. I was lighting up the beach down below at night, was pretty fun. A little overkill if the power went out, as it would of lit up the whole room really well!

Monocrom

Flashaholic
PhotonWrangler said:
Yeah, that's possible. It's not the kind of place where the staff wears uniforms, so it's possible that she couldn't tell me from an employee. Still, she could've said thanks, ya know?

I came to the same conclusion. She probably thought you were a staff member.

But even if that was the case, she still should have Thanked You. Especially considering that she didn't come prepared with even a keychain light.

You're a better man than I am. Living in NYC, I've just about run out of patience with the rude & obnoxious folks who are around me on a daily basis. I would have let her get to her door, then turned the light off; and waited for her to say something..... before calling her on her obvious lack of manners. But that's just me, and I'm being honest. Folks like her are a dime-a-dozen, where I live.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Monocrom said:
...Living in NYC, I've just about run out of patience with the rude & obnoxious folks who are around me on a daily basis. I would have let her get to her door, then turned the light off; and waited for her to say something..... before calling her on her obvious lack of manners. But that's just me, and I'm being honest. Folks like her are a dime-a-dozen, where I live.

I spent sime time working in NY... I know what you're talking about! :laughing: Having said that, I've also met some very sweet and caring people while I was out there.