How can I tell if my TV can play HD?

fire-stick

Enlightened
Monolith said:
Are you trying to hook your camcorder directly to the TV set? What model TV do you have?

Yea, I was wanting to hook it right up to the TV set.

The model number is Sanyo DS32424.

It has a S-video cable. I thought that the S-video cable was for HD?

I also have a Sylvania DVR90VF. Would that record the video in HD?

What about my PC. That could probably do HD right?

elgarak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Form what I read on Sanyo's page, the TV should be able to display HD-video.

However, you will not get HD via the S-video jack. S-video is limited to normal SD 480i.

You have to connect to the TV over the component inputs (three RCA cables, in red, green and blue). Dunno if this possible directly from the camcorder. I would have suspected that the manufacturer of the camcorder would supply something like this. All HD camcorders I checked (not many, rather quickly) came with a component cable.

The Sylvania will NOT record HD. Neither VHS nor DVD is capable of storing HD video. DVD is limited to 480 lines, HD is considered 720 lines and higher. However, the camcorder should be able to downscale and provide higher picture quality than normal SD camcorders.

The PC should have no problems with HD video, if it's a reasonable new machine.

Last edited:

jtr1962

Flashaholic
elgarak said:
Neither VHS nor DVD is capable of storing HD video. DVD is limited to 480 lines, HD is considered 720 lines and higher. However, the camcorder should be able to downscale and provide higher picture quality than normal SD camcorders.
I always thought DVDs were HD even though it wasn't until the last few years that we had TV sets capable of displaying HD. That's the reason we never bought a DVD player until we had an HDTV. We figured what's the point of getting one since the picture wouldn't look any better than VHS on the regular TVs we had. I guess you learn something new every day.

Funny thing is despite all the hoopla over HD only about 10 or 15 channels out of about 1000 on our cable system are in high definition. I wonder when they're all going to be HD.

Nebula

Enlightened
Fire-stick. The short answer is NO. The longer answer is your iLink (a/k/a firewire) is digital. Unless you have a corresponding digital input on the monitor, i.e., iLink, you cannot pass the digital signal from to HD recorder to the monitor (a/k/a "TV").

All display devices (front projection, rear projection, direct view), available today contain a mix of analog and digital inputs - from lowest resolution to highest they are: composite, s-video, component RGB, component RGBHV, DVI (DVI-A, DVI-D & DVI-I), and HDMI. A few may contian Firewire but its use is restricted most often to proprietary functions. Currently only DVI and HDMI can pass a digital video signal. Firewire can as well but it is usually in a proprietary connection. Analog inputs will be gone from all display devices within the next five years. Not to worry, most providers will supply downconvertor boxes so you can still watch your favorite shows in analog.

With the advent of HD and the implementation of the ATSC standards (there are 18 but most of the world knows only three - 720P, 1080i, and 1080P) several additional "safeguards" have made their way onto consumer sets. The most prolific of these is the HDCP standard. Unless your "TV" - and for that matter computer monitor - is HDCP compliant you cannot view HD in full resolution, i.e., 720P, 1080i, and 1080P. The impact of HDCP is lower resolution - say to 480P. The upside for most folks is that 480P is WAY better than the 480i we have been watching since it was first implemented in 1953! Keep in mind that most of the world was perfectly satisfied with the VHS tape, which was limited to 270 lines horizontal res. Theoretically 480i, but in implementation much less.

I could go on, but will stop at this point. In summary, if you want to watch HD from your video recorder you need to upgrade your set. Should you desire a more technical response, or further clarification feel free to pm me. Kirk

Last edited: