Pet Peeves

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
What are some of the little things in life that bother or irritate you?

Mine is ladies and their shopping carts. I've noticed when I'm blasting through stores like Target or WalMart, heading for the flashlight aisle, that I'm always having to dodge ladies pushing empty, except for their purse, shopping carts. Is it a security thing, or being prepared, or just because the purse is too heavy? I joked about it to my wife, who saw no humor at all.

Geoff

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast
A good vent thread. :D j/k

Drivers who don't use turn signals.
Drivers who drive with two feet-where the brake light is constantly lit.

Milder one: When ordering buttered popcorn they drench the top layer to the soggy point but mid-point and below is bone dry. :(

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a sweet spirit, so I don't allow things to bother me.

Not really. :laughing:

Lets see. People who ignore the solid white lines on the driving surface and get into the turn lane way before they are supposed too. People who tailgate. Women who pay with a check at the store, but don't get the dang thing out of their purse until the cashier tells them the amount. They could have it 90% filled in already, but nooooo. People of the wrong political persuasion.

Thats it for now. :)

peace

Danbo

Enlightened
People who talk on cell phones LOUDLY(as in, if I can hear your intimate conversation, it's too loud) in public places. If mine goes off, I immediately tell the caller I'll call them back if I'm in a public place.

Morons who run red lights. Maybe I was raised differently, but I distinctly remember my Driver's Ed teacher telling us that when the light turns yellow, it means to prepare to stop, NOT speed up. Perhaps it wouldn't bother me so much, but a good friend of mine, along with his 8 year old daughter, were killed by some idiot running a red light a few years ago. Now, if my light turns green and somebody is still in the intersection(and it's dark), they get a good shot of the ole Surefire M6. :)

Cliffnopus

Enlightened
Men who dance out of the Men's room without washing their hands. What's that all about ? (not just a urinal issue either :ohgeez: )

How were these idiots brought up, were their parents as dense as they are ? I have to nail men because I don't know what women do.....but I've observed so many of these filthy jerks that I don't even want to shake anyones hand anymore.

Cliff

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hate drivers who are so incompetent that they cannot pass me on my bicycle even when there's 6-8' of free space in addition to the width of my bike and their car. I see this all of the time. Idiots. Two weeks ago I even had a cop behind me who thought that there was no room for him to pass when there was at least 6 '. Like many, he honked his horn. What does that mean, anyway? Is it like they are saying, 'oh, you there outside, there's someone behind you just in case you don't notice? Or does it mean 'pull over 'cause I'm gonna run you down?' For the cops I pull over and stop -- if they can't drive a car and they're carrying a gun, God knows what they're capable of.

Don't get me started on people who don't use turn signals.

Bright Scouter

Enlightened
People who tailgate me, pass me, then hit the brakes and stop traffic because they immediately want to turn left.

People who pass on the shoulder or an exit/entrance ramp on the highway because all the lanes are packed. Just how much farther do you think you will get ahead of us?

People who jack their trucks or suvs up, I mean WAY up, and never aim their headlights.

Guess that's enough for now.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
Flying Turtle said:
Mine is ladies and their shopping carts. I've noticed when I'm blasting through stores like Target or WalMart, heading for the flashlight aisle, that I'm always having to dodge ladies pushing empty, except for their purse, shopping carts. Is it a security thing, or being prepared, or just because the purse is too heavy? I joked about it to my wife, who saw no humor at all.
Speaking of shopping carts, one thing which drives me nuts these days is when people wait on the checkout line standing in front of their cart when they were behind it pushing for the whole rest of the time in the store. What exactly is that about anyway? It annoys me because if I'm behind them in line then my things will go past the cashier while I'm not in a position to either make sure they're rung up correctly or pay for them. I suppose this practice annoys me all the more because I just don't see any logical reason for it. Another annoying thing in grocery stores is when people just throw those little hand baskets in a messy pile when they're done with them. It takes exactly one extra second to put them back properly in a neatly stacked pile.

People making a mess in stores is another thing which bothers me. If you take something off the rack to look at it and decide you don't want it all it takes is one lousy second to put it back on the rack where you found. And this brings me to my next pet peeve-the lack of time people complain about.

People these days are apparently so pressed for time they can't make their kids peanut butter sandwiches or lunch. Therefore, they need to buy those stupid, expensive, ready-made sandwiches and, gulp, lunchables. Any parent giving their kids crap like that should be drawn and quartered. And of course nobody has time to cook any more so people spend a small fortune eating out. The irony about all this is if you add up all the extra expenditures because of supposed lack of free time then it often means one parent could quit their job by doing without them, and suddenly have free time to do all the things they say they can't now. I personally think it's more laziness than lack of free time. My mom worked full-time after I was about eight. She had time to cook, clean, wash clothes, make lunch, etc. It's all about where you priorities lie.

Since someone here talked about not washing you hands after using the men's room I'll go one better-I hate it when people sh*t in urinals! If you have to go so badly that you can't hold it until a free stall becomes available maybe leaving the house that day in the first place wasn't such a good idea. And when they're done "blessing" the urinal don't they still need to wait for a stall to properly clean themselves? Or maybe they don't bother doing that either! :huh: :sick2:

People who ride roller coasters with their hands in the air drives me nuts for some reason. WTF is that about anyway? Does it serve some hidden purpose I'm totally unaware of? To me they look like a bunch of morons doing that.

Chris201W

Enlightened
People who ride their bikes on windy roads that are way too narrow to pass without going into the other lane. Particularly exasperating is when they ride in packs, five or six single file. Then, it really is impossible to pass them...

I don't have any problem with people riding their bikes, but FIND A WIDER ROAD!!!!

Thujone

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have plenty but the recurring one lately is shopping in stores with 40 Checkouts but only 10 of them manned and lines that make you want to scream.

LumenHound

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hot dog buns.

Why do these things always come 8 to a bag when a package of wieners is 12 regular or 6 jumbo size??!! :wtf:

Thujone

Flashlight Enthusiast
Chris201W said:
People who ride their bikes on windy roads that are way too narrow to pass without going into the other lane. Particularly exasperating is when they ride in packs, five or six single file. Then, it really is impossible to pass them...

I don't have any problem with people riding their bikes, but FIND A WIDER ROAD!!!!

Bikes... Oh boy... Here it is like bike a$$hats think they own the place. They follow vehicle laws when it is convenient, pretend they are pedestrians when it isnt. Ignore no bikes on sidewalk areas. Next one i have come at me on the sidewalk because the one way isnt going the right direction and they cant be bothered to go a street over is getting closelined. :mad::mad::mad:

Manzerick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Esp. when you hear the loud speaker ocver and over "attention Wal-Mart shoppers, the time is now 8:05 and your local Lynn Wal-Mart is closed. Please bring all last minute items ot the reguster...blah blah"

and i've already been in line for 20 minutes!!!!!!!

Thujone said:
I have plenty but the recurring one lately is shopping in stores with 40 Checkouts but only 10 of them manned and lines that make you want to scream.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
Thujone said:
Ignore no bikes on sidewalk areas. Next one i have come at me on the sidewalk because the one way isnt going the right direction and they cant be bothered to go a street over is getting closelined. :mad::mad::mad:
Sometimes cyclists ride on sidewalks when traffic gets so heavy that riding in the street would be unsafe, or maybe they just feel like riding slower than normal. That's why no sidewalk cycling laws are about as stupid as they come. They put cyclists in needless danger by forcing them into the street regardless of traffic conditions. And as an experienced cyclist I would rather that the inexperienced cyclists stay on the sidewalk out of my way. Nothing worse than to be stuck behind some novice going 8 or 10 mph for blocks with no room to pass. :mad:

There is no good reason cyclists and pedestrians can't share the same sidewalk (they do in most other countries) but there's no reason either for cyclists to use pedestrians like a slalom course when they do or otherwise ride like idiots. In general, if you must ride on the sidewalk it's a good idea to keep your speed under 20 mph even when the sidewalk is totally empty, to go much slower when pedestrians are around, and to cover your brake at all times just in case you need to stop quickly. Staying alert at all times goes without saying. Never expect pedestrians to get out of your way but rather go around them instead. And if pedestrian traffic is so thick that you can't ride faster than walking speed then just get off the damned bike and walk it. Nothing more unstable than a cyclist wobbling along at a few mph.

I've ridden over 55,000 miles since college. Probably less than 5% of that has been on sidewalks but that could still mean I went one or two thousand miles on them. Never hit a pedestrian or even came close to hitting one. Since I know I'm intruding on what is basically their space when I'm on the sidewalk I'm very careful. If I see someone walking erratically I just slow down enough so as to not hit them if they happen to walk in front of me. The majority of pedestrians never even know I'm there until I pass them.

Tritium

Enlightened
Married couples who want kids. Then they turn raising of these kids over to Day Care, TV and Public Schools instead of taking ALL the responsibility for their own. They then wonder "where they went wrong"! Kids belong with their parent or parents not in the equivalent of a kenel for kids.

Thurmond

richpalm

Banned
Other drivers, period! All idiots out this way. :xyxgun:

School buses. Not even as high as idiots on the food chain.:banghead:

#1: When I'm in a shopping line and (usually) the little old lady ahead is counting out change, coin by coin, while my ice cream turns into liquid. :mad: :mad: :mad: :xyxgun: Give me a .45.

Rich

Thujone

Flashlight Enthusiast
jtr1962 said:
Sometimes cyclists ride on sidewalks when traffic gets so heavy that riding in the street would be unsafe, or maybe they just feel like riding slower than normal. That's why no sidewalk cycling laws are about as stupid as they come. They put cyclists in needless danger by forcing them into the street regardless of traffic conditions. And as an experienced cyclist I would rather that the inexperienced cyclists stay on the sidewalk out of my way. Nothing worse than to be stuck behind some novice going 8 or 10 mph for blocks with no room to pass. :mad:

There is no good reason cyclists and pedestrians can't share the same sidewalk (they do in most other countries) but there's no reason either for cyclists to use pedestrians like a slalom course when they do or otherwise ride like idiots. In general, if you must ride on the sidewalk it's a good idea to keep your speed under 20 mph even when the sidewalk is totally empty, to go much slower when pedestrians are around, and to cover your brake at all times just in case you need to stop quickly. Staying alert at all times goes without saying. Never expect pedestrians to get out of your way but rather go around them instead. And if pedestrian traffic is so thick that you can't ride faster than walking speed then just get off the damned bike and walk it. Nothing more unstable than a cyclist wobbling along at a few mph.

I've ridden over 55,000 miles since college. Probably less than 5% of that has been on sidewalks but that could still mean I went one or two thousand miles on them. Never hit a pedestrian or even came close to hitting one. Since I know I'm intruding on what is basically their space when I'm on the sidewalk I'm very careful. If I see someone walking erratically I just slow down enough so as to not hit them if they happen to walk in front of me. The majority of pedestrians never even know I'm there until I pass them.

I, like you, cycle. We however are not the problem. For me it is the 70k UNL students that are < 1 Mi from my work. And as for the streets being too busy to cycle in the street we actually have bike only lanes for them so they will keep off of forbidden side walks. But they only use them if they happen to be going on the right one way, otherwise they jump onto the sidewalk instead of going a block over like they are supposed to. :scowl:

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,
Cliffnopus said:
Men who dance out of the Men's room without washing their hands. What's that all about ? (not just a urinal issue either :ohgeez: )

How were these idiots brought up, were their parents as dense as they are ? I have to nail men because I don't know what women do.....but I've observed so many of these filthy jerks that I don't even want to shake anyones hand anymore.

Cliff

+1 to this - I've adopted a strict "open the bathroom door as I leave with the paper towel I just dried my washed hands with" policy - I can't believe that people don't do this simple thing. Sick.

Cliff - if we ever meet, the only reason to be afraid to shake my hand is that I might crush your hand with my Kung Fu grip.

john

Status
Not open for further replies.