PSM's Super Shootout! A19 Cree XR-E vs. 17 of my best led lights!!!

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
Had the house to myself tonight, time for a shootout!

Well, I received my A19 Cree XR-E in the mail, and their is so much going on with these being brand new to the scene. I had to share with the rest of the community! I pulled out 17 of my favorite led lights to go up against this tiny single celled light. I am dissapointed though, my 27LT is loaned out at the moment. :ohgeez:

All 18 lights were on their brightest setting. Also the camera was in manual mode, so it took the same exposure for all lights. I am no photographer, but I set the camera to show each lights brightness realistically as possible. I am pleased with the results, because it shows the spot, AND spill of each light.

***This was led only, no HID, Incan, etc, this is a led shootout!***

Heres the pics, you decide for your selves.

The cluster of trees is approx. 80 feet out.

Ashootout001.jpg

Ashootout002.jpg

Ashootout003.jpg

Ashootout004.jpg

Ashootout005.jpg

Ashootout006.jpg

Ashootout007.jpg

Ashootout008.jpg

Ashootout009.jpg

Ashootout010.jpg

Ashootout011.jpg

Ashootout012.jpg

Ashootout013.jpg

Ashootout014.jpg

Ashootout015.jpg

Ashootout016.jpg

Ashootout017.jpg

Ashootout018.jpg

Ashootout019.jpg

Thanks for lookin.

zapper

Enlightened
Incredible!! Outstanding work! I appreciate all the effort that must have gone into this!

:goodjob:

Loomy

Enlightened
Awesome pictures, thanks for doing them.

For my benefit, XRE A19 vs U2 :)

XRE A19
Ashootout002.jpg

Luxeon V U2
Ashootout017.jpg

fnmag

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the great pics. That's a big help to a lot of people. I'm thankful that you had the HD 45 XX1T to compare it to as I was curious about that XX1T. I assume you are well pleased with your new A19. Cheers. :grin2:

Last edited:

digitaleos

Enlightened
PSM,

Thanks for the great pictures, you have convinced me that I made the right decision in buying one of these gems early this morning.
buttrock.gif
goodjob.gif

Chris

x2x3x2

Banned
output from the Aleph 19 XR-E seems somwhat close to a Surefire L4 of U2.. im not a Surefire fan, but for $230, i would have definitely gone with the U2, or get 2 L4's :)
just my thoughts...

MorpheusT1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Holy S#¤#,

Thanks for the shootout PSM.

Can you tell me a little about the throw on the Cree XR-E McR19?

I always figured the MCR19 for a flood reflector,so i would guess it doesent throw very far.
Boy was i wrong :whistle:

How about Some beamshots taken at a greater distance :D

Im getting a Mcree for sure :grin2:

Benny

Chronos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great shots PSM! Is the cree a single cell light? If so, it is even more amazing at how it compares to the U2. Similar beamshots (to my weary eyes) yet what appears to be 1/2 of the draw.

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good grief! That ARCMania XX1T tower module is SICK! Glad to see the U2 pretty much holds its own against all this Cree craze. :) I'm aware however that the Cree is in a much smaller light.

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
MorpheusT1 said:
How about Some beamshots taken at a greater distance :D
Benny
Like they say in the mafia, fughedaboudit! :laughing:

This was enough work!

80 feet IMHO is ideal, its realistic. Anything over that you have to get your camera to look harder. I wanted these pics as realistic as possible.

The throw in this light is phenomenal! I would compare it to my Don-made 27LT.

The best part about this light is the size. It is the Ideal EDC size, with big boy brightness! There is a 2 stage 2x123 version at the shoppe. It is driven @ 917mA instead of 825mA. I find 2 cell lights a bit to big for my EDC purposes.

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
PSM,
What is so amazing about the A19 is it's ability to hang with the V's that have much larger reflectors.

Does the A19 run from a cr123, correct? And is it a rechargeable cell?

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
Nitroz said:
PSM,
What is so amazing about the A19 is it's ability to hang with the V's that have much larger reflectors.

Does the A19 run from a cr123, correct? And is it a rechargeable cell?

Yes, this light takes one cell, primary or rechargable.

The Cree emitters are different, they emit more light fowards than sideways, or something like that. I'm blown away! :drool:

MorpheusT1

Flashlight Enthusiast
:D

Well its enough to color me interested.
That kind of beam from a PD Sized light is just incredible.

Benny
PoliceScannerMan said:
Like they say in the mafia, fughedaboudit! :laughing:

This was enough work!

80 feet IMHO is ideal, its realistic. Anything over that you have to get your camera to look harder. I wanted these pics as realistic as possible.

The throw in this light is phenomenal! I would compare it to my Don-made 27LT.

The best part about this light is the size. It is the Ideal EDC size, with big boy brightness! There is a 2 stage 2x123 version at the shoppe. It is driven @ 917mA instead of 825mA. I find 2 cell lights a bit to big for my EDC purposes.

x2x3x2

Banned
@Nitroz

If u are solely looking at an output standpoint, u could say that.
If u look further into their specs, u will find that the XR-E's effeciency leaves all of the current Luxeons in the dust be it I, III, V or K2.

If u are talkin about the Aleph 19 in particular, i would have to agree that it's nothing more than a "new toy" which was put out asap from the hype of the XR-E release. It needs to be more fine tuned, still tihnk that $230 is better spent on a Surefire U2.

i have to say tho, the reflectors right now are still pretty mych developing for the XR-E. i would think the best used for the XR-E's now would be a small, effecient flood light until someone can make a serious throw outta these be it with reflector or other optics.

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
x2x3x2,

I find the beam of the A19 more to my taste with it having a nice flood and a great spot. PSM hit the nail on the head saying, "80 feet IMHO is ideal, its realistic."

I have many mags modified with Lux III's, V's, and even k2's. While these throw very well the light is a pencil beam. When I use the mags in the very dark woods I feel like I am looking threw a straw, except for the Lux V. :) The UYAN K2 LEDs that I have need alot of juice to wringe out some decent output, but nothing overwhelmingly stunning.