Afraid of the dark?

• I still get scared of the dark.

Votes: 7 9.2%
  • It's not the dark that scares me.

Votes: 69 90.8%

• Total voters

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Darkness certainly compounds the potential dangers of an unknown environment and can make an unknown sound creepy...

Not a problem if you know what's around you, expecially now that the kids have left home. The dog can hear me coming in the dark and knows enough to stay out of the way...

jtr1962

Flashaholic
I hate to admit it but for a good three or four years after 9/11 I just couldn't sleep with the lights off. In fact, come to think of it since I'm noctural by nature it seems more natural to me to sleep when it's bright outside.

Omega Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I was a kid I was scared of the dark, but I could aleviate it by plugging my ears. For some reason, being in the dark was scary, but not hearing anything calmed me down. So I'd always stick my fingers in my ears if I had to venture downstairs at night.

TorchMan

Enlightened
As a child, yes, I was for a time. Now, I'm not certain, but it is much reduced at least. Of course I have lights and night vision equipment. I've often speculated if the childhood fear fueled the adult obsess, er, hobbies!

I didn't vote in the poll however, the reason being that the two options didn't really seem to fit my situation.

Greenlight, how about you?

Last edited:

sniper

Enlightened
Not scared of the dark, just cautious!
When I was about 14, I used to go rat hunting with a friend in his dad's nursery barns. That wasn't so bad, but going home, I needed to pass through about 50 yards of road where the palms on either side and over blacked out ALL light!

I just KNEW there was something in there, breathing. I would hem and haw, sometimes for as much as 5 minutes, then load and **** my 22, and run as fast as I could through the darkness. Fortunately for me, nothing was ever in there. I probably would have shot myself.

Of course, you haven't LIVED till you are all alone in the house, and a Screech Owl cuts loose from the tree out back! Pucker factor to 9.675 or above, guaranteed!

Lite_me

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not really afraid of the dark. Just what it might conceal. Worked nightshift pretty much all my life. My waking hours are still most of the nighttime. Guess that's part of the reason why I like flashlights so much.

Mike Painter

Flashlight Enthusiast
sniper said:
Of course, you haven't LIVED till you are all alone in the house, and a Screech Owl cuts loose from the tree out back! Pucker factor to 9.675 or above, guaranteed!

If that is on a scale of 20, I might agree. Being in the dark woods and hearing a peacock for the first time (Think of a baby screaming.) seems a bit worse.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like going in dark places, without light. Doesn't bother me. But I do like making lots of photons! especially colored light!

I almost ran over a peacock once. I was driving in the country and there was one on the side of the road!!! I freaked!! I was like THATS NO TURKEY!! lol.

Illum

Flashaholic
IsaacHayes said:
I like going in dark places, without light. Doesn't bother me.

thats something you should attempt only when the room your walking in doesnt have chairs in the middle of the room and 4 legged tables that are held up by stacks of books and a tripod and piled high with books and half of your collection at the entrance....not to mention little toy cars on the laminax flooring

been there....:ohgeez: