Surefire Beast 2 and Hellfire

NAW

Enlightened
Hmmm... your question is kind of vague.

Is there something you would like to know? Would you like to get one? ;)

Okay I think that second question was a bit unneccesary. :grin2:

I seen some people who own those lights, but not much. Those lights as bright as they are, are expensive, and the newer HID lights that are coming out (like the Helios, and the Xeray to name a few) are starting to easily outshine Surefire's HID lights at a fraction of the price.

wakemare

Newly Enlightened
The Beast 2

just curious if any one here has one or if they have seen one in real life... i dunno US$4500 for a flashlight... seems a bit stiff...:huh:

Size15's

Flashaholic
Re: The Beast 2

I know that Shelby Chan has handled a Beast 2 recently. I've handled one at the last SHOT Show. I don't know anybody who owns a Beast 2.
It is a military/gov/law enforcement tool and not intended for public market.
I have no doubt the price is reasonable for what you need it for [if that is, you do need it]. I assume that if the price is a concern to the user the need is not sufficient.

In my opinion products such as the Beast 2 and HellFighter are made for those who need them and cost what they cost. Not priced for those who want them.

Al

Mark2

Enlightened
Al, everything any military around the world purchases is paid for by regular citizens, by taxpayers like you and me. It is therefore 100% legitimate to question pricing of products sold to the military, in fact pricing of such items should be analyzed and questioned even more than "normal" products sold on the civil market. No consumer must buy them after all, but we are all forced to pay for the things our military purchases.

Are the prices of Surefire lights reasonable? IMHO, some are, some are not. The C2 for example seems to be okay, the Kroma on the other hand is totally over the top. You get a Luxeon III and 16 3mm LEDs, each with 2 levels and current regulation for $300? Then the people in Denmark who make the Wiseled Tactical must be masters of efficiency, since for ~$470, you get 7 (!) K2 Luxeons with current regulation, 12 levels, strobe, SOS, a 53Wh Li-Ion battery, all of it in an ultra-tough aluminum body with awesome magnetic switches, dive rated to 300 feet. I like the Kroma very much, but when I received the Wiseled Tactical, I once again realized how totally off some of Surefire's prices are. If Surefire were able to produce a light like the Tactical, it would cost at least $2000, probably more.

As for the Beast 2, I never had the opportunity to test one, I will therefore not comment on its price.

NAW

Enlightened
Re: The Beast 2

Size15's said:
I have no doubt the price is reasonable for what you need it for [if that is, you do need it].

In a way I have to disaggre. I mean the Beast 2 is over $4000 and my $500 32/50W Rayzorlite HID can outthrow the Beast 2. (from the pictures I seen)

Theres also the 40W Helios, and 75W Barnburner (just to name a few) that can easily outshine the Beast 2 at a fraction of the price. Heck I think the Barnburner would be able to outhrow the Beast and Hellfire combined.

Look at post number 84 to see what I mean. Heres the Helios against the Beast.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/126818&page=3

Although these other HID lights don't have the laser imprinting words "SUREFIRE" on them... doesn't mean they are not better. :grin2:

Last edited:

leprechaun414

Enlightened
There are those lights that can "outshine" the Beast and and the Hellfire BUT, they don't have the stamina of the Surefires. The Beast is designed to be mounted and fired from a machine gun and the Hellfire from a tank. Try that with your BB or Helio and you would be lucky to still have anything left working. Surefires are built for abuse and punishment and designed to keep things going.
The price comes to represent this. If I was looking for as a flashaholic massive beams and lumens to play around with I would look for something cheaper. As far as the question if someone has one or both of these lights, I would love to find out some info myself. Beamshots would be a +. Maybe a passaround :naughty:

NAW

Enlightened
leprechaun414 said:
Beast is designed to be mounted and fired from a machine gun and the Hellfire from a tank.

Just so you know the Beast isn't meant to operate on a machine gun. And the Hellfire wasn't meant to be mounted on a tank.

Specifically the Beast isn't designed what so-ever to be used with a gun. Its supposed to be a hand held HID light. :)

The Hellfire on the other hand isn't supposed to be mounted on a tank but on the M2 50 caliber machine guns(those type of guns can be seen on the Hummers and on choopers)

I have a Rayzorlite HID and I'm impressed with it. I seen videos of the Rayzorlite being tossed and abused and still working. Although I personally don't want to see such things happening to any of my flashlights. :grin2:

Also I personally don't know much about the durabillity of other HID lights like the BB or Helios. I know the Helios is aerospace grade aluminum (6061 T6) with a Type III Hard Ano finish (that is what Ken said)

leprechaun414

Enlightened
Ya I know the Hellfire is designed to be mounted to heavy machine guns and I have seen some photos of them on a tank, and the Beast doesnt have a light machine gun mount but im sure could be modified. The Helios does look like a pretty durable combat style light so I wouldnt compare it with a BB. I wouldnt want to mount your Razorlight to a heavy gun unless you insure it but it would be pretty cool dont you think:naughty:

EVAN_TAD

Newly Enlightened
I am thinking about selling my Beast and getting the Beast 2 when or if it comes out.
It has everythng the first model should've had when it came out. Carry strap, and rubber to protect it from drops.

Mark2 said:
Al, everything any military around the world purchases is paid for by regular citizens, by taxpayers like you and me. It is therefore 100% legitimate to question pricing of products sold to the military, in fact pricing of such items should be analyzed and questioned even more than "normal" products sold on the civil market. No consumer must buy them after all, but we are all forced to pay for the things our military purchases.

It's not quite that easy. Sometimes there is a 'use it or lose it' regarding unit money. You can order stuff through the supply system or directly from various civilian sources.

NAW

Enlightened

wakemare

Newly Enlightened
lol, all in all i have no worries with torch prices, just seems a bit steep for commercial applications. but everyone is right, u buy what u need and i dont need a beast, lol i like my gladius thankyouverymuch. but i wanna buy a Wolf Eyes soon, that 300CP one looks delightful:sssh:

but yeah, those beast flashlights sure the hell r nice tho. god. i want EVERY flashlight man!!!!:naughty:

EVAN_TAD

Newly Enlightened
Mark2 said:

I guess you were never in the military as a California citizen being stationed in the state has to pay federal and state taxes (unless in a combat zone, then there is no federal tax). So in essence, military personnel pay for their own equipment.

Since when has regular citizens questioned what uncle sam bought?

Size15's

Flashaholic
The price of the HellFighter has been discussed before here on CPF. I drew the conclusion from that discussion that once it is better understood just how difficult it is to make a light durable etc under the conditions it is demanded to be used, and just how complex the surrounding issues such as designing mounts to secure it to various weapon platforms etc, there is less shock at the price SureFire are stating they cost.

Lets try not to get into a discussion here about 'Government employees being tax-payers themselves and therefore self-employed...' (a topic for a Cafe thread perhaps?), nor a discussion about the cost of things procured by Government-funded organisations etc.

Thank,
Al

ShortArc

Enlightened
Evan,
If you make the switch to the Beast 2, please post your findings. I have considered doing the same but have not been able to equate the benefits to price point (may be mood point).
Willem.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Size15's said:
The price of the HellFighter has been discussed before here on CPF. I drew the conclusion from that discussion that once it is better understood just how difficult it is to make a light durable etc under the conditions it is demanded to be used, and just how complex the surrounding issues such as designing mounts to secure it to various weapon platforms etc, there is less shock at the price SureFire are stating they cost.

QFT....but $4,160 is still a pretty hefty price IMHO.

Size15's

Flashaholic
Perhaps if you order 100, or 1000 there is a discount for even a small bulk order like that?
Buying one of anything is usually more expensive compared to buying a multipack after all

NAW

Enlightened
Size15's said:
I drew the conclusion from that discussion that once it is better understood just how difficult it is to make a light durable etc under the conditions it is demanded to be used, and just how complex the surrounding issues such as designing mounts to secure it to various weapon platforms etc, there is less shock at the price SureFire are stating they cost.

Uh oh... looks like Polarion is gonna give Surefire some serious competition!

Polarion is working on weapon mounts for there 4000 lumen Helios.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/139719

I wonder how the Helios will compare to Hellfire?

The Helios is 4000 lumens, and the Hellfire is 3000 lumens. The Helios is 40W, and the Hellfire is 35W. The Helios is around half the weight of the Hellfire. Hmmm... :lolsign:

Last edited: