Jetbeam        
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Disaster Ready

Default Re: disaster ready

I have used a simple heating pad to warm myself up when I didn't want to run a space heater or the main unit. The heating pad I've got is big enough to cover my thighs, or most of my chest/stomach area.

It only uses 40 watts so that's a pretty efficient way to warm yourself. Put the pad against your shirt, then overlap your coat or a blanket on top of that to seal in the heat, and you'll be toasty warm soon. Heating your core like that makes a big difference.

If you've got some automotive or other large batteries to use with an inverter, you'd probably get hours of use per charge.

Poppy- I am sorry to hear we're thinking alike... I like the idea of trash cans with liners for water, hadn't thought of that. I have two clean metal cans with chicken supplies and food in them which could be repurposed, and usually have a box of contractor bags somewhere. Bykfixer: The idea of a big tent in a small room really makes sense from a conserving energy standpoint, I need to give that some more thought. As long as I could fit a queen sized matress or the entire bed in it, Mrs. Scout may be receptive. Sleeping bags on the floor might be a tough sell, lol. Idleprocess- I found a two burner Coleman camp stove that needed some cleaning on FB Marketplace cheap, one of the green metal clamshell or "suitcase" ones . Great for boiling water, making coffee, and light cooking. I was gifted a white gas version, but that's for outside use. No need for liquid fuel indoors...
    Last edited by scout24; 03-01-2021 at 06:29 AM.
    The TK20. Yes, it still rocks- WoodsWalker

scout, I have a suitcase white gas style stove too. When I wasn't allowed to bring liquid gas camping anymore, I bought a propane adapter for it. Sometime over the past 50 years, the pump/tank has been discarded. The adapter can be had for 15-$20.

Shortly after, or during Sandy, I gifted a single burner propane cook top that I got at Kmart, or Walmart for about $15-20.
    I see that butane ones are more prominent, but propane ones are available. There are adapters to run camp stoves off of 20lb BBQ tanks.
    Last edited by Poppy; 03-01-2021 at 07:55 AM.
    My Grand Kids call me Poppy

Quote Originally Posted by Stress_Test View Post
    That is excellent advice about the list. In my line of work we have written procedures (for pretty much everything) that we're supposed to follow. The procedure serves as a checklist to make sure you don't forget anything; it's easy to forget or miss steps when you're highly stressed and under pressure.

Same reason pilots have checklists that they supposedly follow.
    +

I realize that one may not have time to go and read through steps in a disaster,, I get it.
    Having a list knocks the off rust off between the ears & makes you think of what needs to be done,,, reading them a couple times a year for a refresher.

__________________________________________________ _______________

My very favorite phrase is a French culinary one:

Mise en place

..it literally means 'everything in place' not just physical things in place, but more mental organization in place.

Quote Originally Posted by scout24 View Post
    ... No need for liquid fuel indoors...
    Hah! I used to cook on one back in college... indoors. Was doing ok till it malfunctioned, started pouring black smoke, and set off bldg fire alarm.
    This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time.
    Be prepared for the truth.

Ha! Good story, Turbodog. After our house burning down, I'm leery about liquid fuels indoors. Oil lamps scare me too. Fire wasn't related to either, but I'm skittish. And I bought a bigger fire extinguisher.

Quote Originally Posted by scout24 View Post
    Ha! Good story, Turbodog. After our house burning down, I'm leery about liquid fuels indoors. Oil lamps scare me too. Fire wasn't related to either, but I'm skittish. And I bought a bigger fire extinguisher.
    FYI, there was a recall on kiddie extinguishers going back like 3-4 DECADES. I let the kids use them for practice and trashed the remaining ones.

Bought 5 brand new ones, size large. Keep 3 in the house (hall, kitchen (away from stove), and laundry), and 1 each (combustible liquid rated) in each outbuilding.

Almost lost a house to a brushfire myself. Forestry service sent out the dozer and cut a trench to save our place.

https://www.kidde.com/home-safety/en...-extinguisher/
    Last edited by turbodog; 03-01-2021 at 04:46 PM.

Great recall info, thanks! I wasn't aware.

You mentioned the 2-burner stove. I have the classic green Coleman propane. $40 on Amazon a few years ago and only used it once. But still worth the money just in case. Very handy to have and well worth the money.

I think I'll buy another 20lb propane tank to just keep around for emergencies.

And then the wood backpacking stove, man, I could run that thing boiling water for months. Wouldn't really want to, but I could.
    GOOD TINT!

Quote Originally Posted by markr6 View Post
    I think I'll buy another 20lb propane tank to just keep around for emergencies.

20lb tank holds 4.5 gallons propane, weighs 37lb full
    30lb tanks holds 7.0 gallons propane, weighs 55lb full, and takes up practically the same space

What do you guys think about keeping cash at home? Maybe a fireproof bag (never heard of such a thing until today)...inside a fireproof safe for double protection?
    GOOD TINT!

Quote Originally Posted by markr6 View Post
    What do you guys think about keeping cash at home? Maybe a fireproof bag (never heard of such a thing until today)...inside a fireproof safe for double protection?
    Grandfather kept cash in coffee cans hidden in the barn. I just keep a reasonable amount of cash on my desk, next to the stamps, letter openers, and assorted lights.

Last edited by Poppy; 04-24-2021 at 06:09 AM.

Five days ago, my neighbor asked... "How good are you about picking up dead animals? I'm a real sissy when it comes to that!"

It ended up being a dead rabbit, right at the foot of his mailbox. Tossed it into a garbage bag, and tied it up.

He asked... "What are you going to do with it?"
    I'll throw it into the garbage. With that he shivered, and backed up a bit. So I brought it home and threw it into my trash.

The following day, it started to smell, and the next day, there were flies galore! I had a gallon of bug spray, I put some into my sprayer, and sprayed it down, and dragged the trash can to the curb, three days early.

It reminded me of Sub_Umbra's thread about staying bugged IN during a disaster and the need for bug killer. If one little dead rabbit produced so many flies, I can't imagine, what things would be like if there were multiple carcasses lying around, and no trash pickup... YUK!!!

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...Water-Epiphany

It is a good read.

Quote Originally Posted by Poppy View Post
    It reminded me of Sub_Umbra's thread about staying bugged IN during a disaster and the need for bug killer. If one little dead rabbit produced so many flies, I can't imagine, what things would be like if there were multiple carcasses lying around, and no trash pickup... YUK!!!
    The crows and vultures would get fat.
    I apologize that this letter is so long; I did not have time to write a short letter

Great thread here !

With the current flurry of Online-Hacking,
    our vulnerable electric grid could be rendered
    "out of service" for a VERY long time . . . . .

One thing I've learned during my 60+ years as a Flashaholic:

With dark-adapted eyes, in total darkness,
    I can quite easily manage with very little light.
    (in a non-threat situation)

Today's LED lights are very "thrifty" with their battery power.
    And they often have multiple brightness settings, also.

Oh, BTW --
    Today's vehicles don't seem to have their cigarette lighter operable
    unless the engine is running. So be advised . . . .

_

Hackers don't have to do anything for the power to go out in the west. We're running out of water so hydroelectric dams won't be working for much longer. Hoover dam is at a record low and the hydroelectric dam is producing 25% less power now. I heard that by August, it could be shut down completely. Oroville Lake in California is so low, they are removing houseboats from the lake. Oroville Dam is the tallest dam in the U.S. Get ready for some interesting times this year.

Overall, I think we are learning that we need to have back ups to our back ups. And we need to have the ability to overproduce, so that if one sector falters the others can crank up output to compensate for the loss.

Maybe we'll be looking at more nuclear, wind, wave (ocean), solar, etc.

Oh, BTW --
    Today's vehicles don't seem to have their cigarette lighter operable
    unless the engine is running. So be advised . . . .
    In my Dad's and daughter's cars, I found that there is a way to activate the cigarette lighter/power port for a couple of minutes by having the key fob nearby and pressing the START button, without depressing the brake pedal. Unfortunately after a couple of minutes the "Accessory" implementation failed. SO that is hardly way to recharge your phone, or flashlight.

In my daughter's car I ran a always HOT fused line to her cigar lighter.

Flashaholic

If space permits, it can be worth fitting a second, deep cycle battery to a car or truck. When the engine is running, a relay connects the two batteries together and both are charged by the vehicle alternator.
    When the engine is stopped, the relay opens and the extra battery may be used for many purposes, even if it be fully discharged in an emergency, the main vehicle battery is still fully charged and the engine may be started as normal.
    The drawback of this arrangement is that the weight of the second battery increases the fuel consumption, by a small percentage, but the cost adds up over a year.

A neighbour of mine has fitted the extra wiring and a box for TWO additional batteries to a vehicle. The batteries are stored at home, but can be quickly fitted in an emergency. The extra batteries power multiple 12 volt outlets in the vehicle or could be removed for use elsewhere.

Take great care if dong this, the extra battery MUST be well fixed to prevent it becoming a lethal projectile in the event of collision.

It sounds like a lot of work to make room for more batteries in a vehicle when you don't really need them normally and only use them when they are removed. It would be simpler to just use a set of jumper cables and hook them up and let the vehicle idle for an hour to recharge them instead of carting them around to recharge them. Lead acid batteries are expensive and if not used much in a 4-7 year period the money is wasted on them better spent on tool batteries and power banks IMO. Around here we haven't had any outages for coming on 14 years now and I've replaced my battery twice during that time. A 12v lithium ion jump starter may be a better choice it is smaller, lighter and likely has a longer life and can easily be charged in a vehicle.
    Fenix Split rings 1400+ sent, SWIVELS now available also!
    Psalm 112:4 Light shines in the darkness for the godly. They are generous, compassionate, and righteous.

Quote Originally Posted by broadgage View Post
    If space permits, it can be worth fitting a second, deep cycle battery to a car or truck. When the engine is running, a relay connects the two batteries together and both are charged by the vehicle alternator.
    When the engine is stopped, the relay opens and the extra battery may be used for many purposes, even if it be fully discharged in an emergency, the main vehicle battery is still fully charged and the engine may be started as normal.
    The few uses I see for such setups are people who routinely need to run low/medium-draw electronics for long periods in their vehicles without idling the engine: law enforcement, penetration testers, site security, private investigators, overland campers.
    I apologize that this letter is so long; I did not have time to write a short letter

+

Another light 12V option.

Take two of these https://www.rcjuice.com/clearance/hobbystar-6500mah-11-1v-3s-7
    connect them in parallel (13Ah)
    https://www.rcjuice.com/hardware-accessories/series-parallel-

The use this extension https://www.rcjuice.com/hardware-accessories/terminals-adapter-plugs/ to connect to an inexpensive 12V inverter.
    ..then just find a basic inverter & make a connector.

All the battery stuff is like $86 shipped

AC power for emergency use (approx 2 pounds total & all the Amps you would ever need)
    Last edited by orbital; 06-16-2021 at 08:18 AM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by orbital View Post
    +

Another light 12V option.

Take two of these https://www.rcjuice.com/clearance/hobbystar-6500mah-11-1v-3s-7
    connect them in parallel (13Ah)
    https://www.rcjuice.com/hardware-accessories/series-parallel-

The use this extension https://www.rcjuice.com/hardware-accessories/terminals-adapter-plugs/ to connect to an inexpensive 12V inverter.
    ..then just find a basic inverter & make a connector.

All the battery stuff is like $86 shipped

AC power for emergency use (approx 2 pounds total & all the Amps you would ever need)
    Using hobby lipo packs without the overdischarge protection needed is asking to create an all-new disaster.

Quote Originally Posted by turbodog View Post
    Using hobby lipo packs without the overdischarge protection needed is asking to create an all-new disaster.
    +

No problem at all,, any inverter worth while will have Low Voltage protection.

Also: there are these for fun, they beep loudly at 3.2V
    https://www.amazon.com/CAMWAY-Batter...s%2C228&sr=8-8
    Last edited by orbital; 06-16-2021 at 09:26 AM. Reason: add

+

Another added benefit to that 3S I mentioned:

It'll jump start your car in an emergency

I gotta hate Costco and The Home Depot. It seems that whenever I walk into either store to get something, I come out with more stuff I didn't know I needed it until a saw it

Today in costco, I came out with three cases of water, a case of paper towels, and a Scepter 5 gallon gas can. $17 they are $25 at Home Depot, and Amazon.

I now have three empty, 5 gallon cans. I figured that I would fill them up if there was an obvious chance of a power failure, such as an incoming hurricane. But now considering cyber attacks that come without any warning what-so-ever, I guess that I should keep more fuel on hand.

+

No problem at all,, any inverter worth while will have Low Voltage protection.

Also: there are these for fun, they beep loudly at 3.2V
    https://www.amazon.com/CAMWAY-Batter...s%2C228&sr=8-8
    And those that don't... will create an all-new problem.

+

We were talking about inverters,,, NO deep cell has a low voltage either.

lol

The inverters do low voltage internally.

+

We were talking about inverters,,, NO deep cell has a low voltage either.

lol

The inverters do low voltage internally.
    You're missing the point. Badly-handed lipo packs spontaneously decompose/disassemble into violent fireballs. Lead-acid batteries simply lose lifespan.

Poppy- See if there's a fuel station nearby that sells ethanol free gas. It'll be about the same price as premium, but stores a LOT longer without noticeable degradation. I routinely use it 12-18 months after purchase with no ill effects. No stabilizer, just the straight fuel. And you're right, it may be prudent to have a few full cans put aside. I called to have my two propane tanks here at the house topped off this week, the young lady on the phone must have thought I was crazy.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast