3 lights that benefit most from Cree XR-E

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
Most lights would benefit from a Cree XR-E but some more than others

What 3 lights would benefit most from a Cree XR-E and why?
Try limiting the lights to 3 or less or we'd just get a listing of everylight ever made.

My 3 picks are:
1)
Orb Raw NS
The tinest brightest WOW light needs the Cree to stay the BRIGHTEST.
2)
Electrolumens My Little Friend
The current Little Friend is bright enough on high, but with a runtime of 20 to 30 minutes. Low is no brighter than a MagLED. Cree XR-Es would give the same brightness on low as thcurrent luxeons on high but extend the runtime to 1-1/2 hours making it a more useful worklight.
3)
fenix L0P-SE
The Luxeon is less efficient than the CS in the E0 and the Rigel of the E1 making it rather dim at the lower 2 modes. A Cree upgrade would
-bring the low level from Arc AAA to Arc AAA-P brightness.
-bring the mid level from less than an E1 to an SMJLED PR brightness.
-Bring the high level from below the Q3/L1P baseline for pocketable EDCs to a L2P/P1 level.
The current L0P-SE is dimmer than the standard lights for it's 3 levels (Arc AAA-P for 5mm, SMJLED PR for 1/2 watt, L1P for 1 watt) and a Cree upgrade will fix that and turn it into one awsome pocket EDC.

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fenix E1...love the feel of the three sided body. And easy to clean.

Fenix P1...I`m not crazy about it. But I know their are folks around here that are.

You know, would it be better to ask what lights would benifit the least?

Ken

FrogsInWinter

Enlightened
LEDninja, I couldn't agree with you more on picking the Elketro Lumens Little Friend as a light that would benefit from the new Cree XR-Es. I think the Pierce Light would also benefit greatly, mostly because it comes the narrow and wide beam varieties.

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
MinimagLED would benefit a lot from the XR-E, the reflector even works with it. Nothing like an adjustable beam 2AA that will run 3 or 4 hours.

LRI Proton Great technology but the 5mm LEDs suck. Match it with an XR-E and two 3mm red LEDs and the original concept and hype could actually be produced.

New Arc (LS?) Peter is always about the brightness AND the runtime and the XR-E will give him both. A nice match.

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
According to cy IIRC - one of our Arc experts/collector the old Arc LS series have a driver that puts 350ma to the emitter. Since that is exact current Cree says is the optimal current for efficiancy with the XR-E it sounds like the Arc LS might be a perfect host for the XR-E. The Arc is one of the lights that has been modded a lot over the years for a lot of reasons but because it's got a tank of a body with possibly one of the best HA III coatings it seems like a good choice - especially since the original Luxeon in these was fairly low output and a lot of them tended to be purplish in tint. Other than the Arc I'd say the Orb is a good easy mod that will be again a real 'wow' machine and possibly the CR2 ion.

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd like to see a Surefire L5 or L6 with the new Cree. The Inova TIROS series would definitely benefit from it.

Not to mention smaller lights such as HDS, CR2 Ion and the P1 that would be totally incredible equipped with XR-E's.

nine

Newly Enlightened
TORCH_BOY said:
I argree with the L0P-SE,
The EL- Xm3, Very robust light with crappy Leds

XM-3 4-life.
As soon as I figure out the best reflector/optics, an XR-E is going to be my next Mod.

glire

Enlightened
ALL lights would benefit from a more efficient LED.

I hope Lumileds is listening... Otherwise, long life to Cree !

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,
+1 to the CR2-Ion

Also, I'd add the Arc AAA-P, which is what MillerMods is trying to do right now.

Thujone

Flashlight Enthusiast
jch79 said:
+1 to the CR2-Ion

Also, I'd add the Arc AAA-P, which is what MillerMods is trying to do right now.

I would be interested in a replacement head for my Ion, But is MillerMods gets an Arc with an XRE in sooner I will be all over that!

CaLux

Newly Enlightened
I am afraid that if you can find good optics or reflectors to mod those flashlighs. If anyone found direct replacement without new optics or reflector ?

lightrod

Enlightened
LEDninja said:
1)
Orb Raw NS
The tinest brightest WOW light needs the Cree to stay the BRIGHTEST.....

My vote to the Raw NS also. It's status as (by far) best output per size will be challenged if not!

I think, however, that for this light only about 50% of the Cree efficiency advantage should be directed to more lumens - I'd also try to extend the high output runtime from 15-20 minutes up to about 30 and run the light a bit cooler on high.