Handloading

mikep

Enlightened
I've just taken on a new hobby (that is, black hole for time and money). I've been loading ammo for my Kimber 1911. It's been pretty fun, and it's satifying because "it saves money".

I know Daniel R mentioned he handloads for rifle, any other 'bullet stuffers'?

(Or, if you shoot .45ACP and don't load, wanna send me your once-fired brass
smile.gif
)?

Daniel Ramsey

Retired Account
Welcome to the wonderful world of reloading!
Check out MidwayUSA for great deals on components...they have an e-mail service that you can sign up for the latest deals. Are you a novice? If I may politely assume by ALL MEANS make sure you follow the safety steps! I prefer LEE equipment and Hornady but if you want the best go for Dillon. I use both an RCBS scale and a Hornady electronic scale.Also Cabelas has a complete reloading catalogue you can ask for, its free.
Safety and proper loading techniques needs to be observed at all times, start with the lower figures and work up, some handguns work better with different powders, I do not have a .45 but I do have a Ruger Redhawk .44 magnum, its heavy enough to handle the 325gr. bear loads. Semi-autos are very critical as for the cartridge length, get a good micrometer and I recommend using it.Also some powders work better. I use mostly Winchester and Hodgdon with some Vhituvouri(?) for my 9mm Beretta.For affordable plinking bullets look for the Rainier ball ammo, for stopping power try the Hornady XTP and keep the velocity down for better accuracy.Keep your powder and primers seperate and try not to store in your home but still in a dry environvent, do not touch primers by hand and get a Lee primer tool with the inserts, the RCBS, LEE and Lyman reloading books are pretty good. Last but not least for rifles, use Barnes X-bullets! They are awesome for game, especially when loaded for a fast velocity.They act like a spinnig propeller at 30,000rpm plus you can use a lighter bullet which makes for a flatter trajectory.

mikep

Enlightened
Yep, I'm pretty new- I'm starting my second thousand rounds.
The paper manuals I've got are Lee and Lyman.
I'm using a Lee Turret press, Lee carbide dies,(including the factory crimp die), RCBS hand prime. I'm using West Coast brand plated bullets, Win231 powder.

I'd love to get a Ruger SA revolver in 44mag, especially since ammo is cheaper reloaded yourself.

Daniel Ramsey

Retired Account
Midway sells once fired brass and also the Rainier bullets, they are lead but are electroplated with copper.For a semi auto and personal protection unless you can bet your life on your handloads buy off the shelf ammo.