Prototype Flashlight - I need advice

frank777

Enlightened
I would like some advice. I am a design engineer working on a prototype flashlight that will use 4 AA batteries. The engineering team is trying to decide which type of beam consumers prefer. One design is a focusable spot powered by a single Luxeon 3 LED, while the other is a floodlight-type beam provided by 25 Nichia 5 mm LEDs. I would be very grateful for your advice as well as your opinions.

Last edited:

Amonra

Enlightened
With focusable beam you mean a fixed focused beam or focusable beam from wide to spot ( like maglight ) ?

A focusable beam ( like maglight ) would be the best of both worlds and preferrable.

Also i would suggest using the new Cree XR-E LEd instead of the luxeon 3 LED as is it twice as bright at the same current and voltage. the Cree XR-E leds also seem to throw farther.

frank777

Enlightened
It focuses from spot to flood, but is slightly different than mag-lite. Our lense system leaves no major rings or holes, but does not provide a beam as wide as a mag-lite's.

MillerMods

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the use of optics being focusable because I haven't seen it done before. As long as the system is set up to capture as much of the light being produced as possible, then it's a very nice idea.

I've done some basement prototyping using half spheres and reflector combinations with limited success. If your team has managed to come up with a good optics system then I really think you have something here.

The nice part about a flashlight that focuses all of the light being produced into a beam is the amount of throw that should be possible. For the size and power consumed it should be second to none.

stoven

Newly Enlightened
Making a spot to flood light would add a feature to your product making it more marketable. Using 5mm Nichias would be considered old technology so I would stay away from having a cluster of them. I have a 3W Coast LED Lenser flashlight that has a pretty good spot to flood optic. It cost $50 and runs on three AAA batteries. The Coast LED Lenser sounds like your main competition. I would purchase one to see what you are up against. The main downside of the Coast light is that it's direct drive circuit.

Since you are early in your design phase I would go with a Cree XR-E instead of the Luxeon3 unless you already have a spot to flood optic designed. Designing a custom spot to flood optic will probably be pretty expensive. A half ball lens works okay but a custom optic would work better.

Beam pattern preference is probably dependent on the task. For close up work a flood light works better. For distance a tight beam will work best.

Amonra

Enlightened
if you managed to do a focusing system that leaves no rings or marks USE IT !! as rings and marks are the major downfall of all focusable lights i have seen. a big flood is nice but if the optics you have give a smaller sooth beam it should be great too.

I again recommend the XR-E led if your lens system can be adapted to it.
a dimmable output would be nice too.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
no chance to help, this writing is just too small
write readable to get answers
:(

Calina

Enlightened
Of course a Cree X-E would be more efficient than a Lux3 : (80 Lm at 350 mA and around 150 Lm at 700 mA at lower Vf) it would also run cooler but it might already be to late to change your design. It all depends on the amount of effort you already put in the optics or if you're already committed with a production set up for Lux. I can think of a number of factors that would preclude a change of LED.

Your project sure seems interesting, a focusable optic with no artifacts would be quite an improvement over what I've seen so far.

As you've probably figured by now, not many of us seeem very keen on 5mm LEDs arrays but we are sort of maniacs; not necessarily the market you are trying to reach.:grin2:

Good luck with your project.

Newuser01

Enlightened
Coming from regular flashlight user, cluster is better suited for indoors and general outdoors use. Lux 3 is better suited for longer range use which CPF'rs seems to prefer. I would choose the cluster but it would be harder to sell to folks especially here.

Goodluck.
noob.

Calina

Enlightened
Newuser01 said:
Coming from regular flashlight user, cluster is better suited for indoors and general outdoors use. Lux 3 is better suited for longer range use which CPF'rs seems to prefer. I would choose the cluster but it would be harder to sell to folks especially here.

Goodluck.
noob.

It seems the Lux3 would have a focusable beam which means it could be use as a "thrower" or as a "flooder".

Who said you can't have your cake and eat it too?

Pax et Lux

Enlightened
It's probably just me, but I never got that excited about lights that focus.

Whenever I used a stock minimag I never tended to change the focus. I would always switch it to the same level, sort of midway between spot and flood, and leave it at that. Maybe that would change if someone could fix beam pattern issues. . . but I tend to see focusability as more of a marketing thing.

I don't currently have an adjustable focus light - the minimag has the floody Nite Ize drop-in, and that's enough flood for me. When I want flood, I don't really need anything brighter, because I tend to see flood as an indoors option, and don't seen the need to sacrifice runtime.

When I want throw I use a Streamlight ProPolymer 4AA Luxeon. I'm not saying this is the best light on the planet, and I don't have expensive lights by CPF stadards, but it's a useful yardstick here. If you can come up with an inexpensive light that trashes the PP Lux, you are in business.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
You mean like the one that Mag uses for their Minimag LEDs? I think that is a great achievement. Maybe you can base your design on something along the those lines in a full sized light. And since you're relatively close to Ontario, perhaps there is a business opportunity with Mag to revamp their line of full sized lights (or introduce a line of permanently mounted LED products with deeper reflectors.)

frank777 said:
It focuses from spot to flood, but is slightly different than mag-lite. Our lense system leaves no major rings or holes, but does not provide a beam as wide as a mag-lite's.

Lighthouse one

Flashlight Enthusiast
Go buy a streamlight poly 4AA Luxeon...it has a perfect combination of throw and a smooth spillbeam. If you can improve on that light- by a brighter overall light and maybe a longer runtime....you'll sell a million of them! It's important to have a nice smooth beam!

Lighthouse one

Flashlight Enthusiast
I forgot! Focusing lights aren't what most of us buy. They must be smooth with no holes! Better to make a great combo without the focusing...rather than an ok but not great light that can focus. Go for quality - there are lots of cheap lights around- make a great light and we'll be back waiting for your next one!

Amonra

Enlightened
Lighthouse one said:
I forgot! Focusing lights aren't what most of us buy. They must be smooth with no holes! Better to make a great combo without the focusing...rather than an ok but not great light that can focus. Go for quality - there are lots of cheap lights around- make a great light and we'll be back waiting for your next one!

He did say that the focusing mechanism they have did not produce any artifacts. in my books that makes a great light that can replace two flashlights.

MorpheusT1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I may be wrong but i dont think he ment focusable,but rather a focused beam with the Lux III.

Similar to the SF L1,which has its purpose.

But i would go for something in between like a reflectored beam with a orange peeled reflector.

The cluster leds are old style and gives a hideous color imho..

Go with a Cree XR-E behind a optic or reflector which produces a tight beam with a nice spill beam.And you have a winner product right there ;)

Benny

frank777

Enlightened
The light IS focusable from spot to flood. It focuses from 11° to 32° as measured from the center through the radius. I appreciate all the VERY useful comments so far. We will definitely be making some design changes.

Last edited:

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
MillerMods said:
I like the use of optics being focusable because I haven't seen it done before. As long as the system is set up to capture as much of the light being produced as possible, then it's a very nice idea.

I've done some basement prototyping using half spheres and reflector combinations with limited success. If your team has managed to come up with a good optics system then I really think you have something here.

The nice part about a flashlight that focuses all of the light being produced into a beam is the amount of throw that should be possible. For the size and power consumed it should be second to none.

frank777 -

I wanted to reference MillerMods' post. This is important.

I can't tell by looking at the video if your focusing system is using a single optical lens or multiple optical lenses. It stops focusing before the image of the die would have been projected. If your system uses multiple lenses and incorporates an Internal Reflection Optic or a rippled (not stippled) parabolic reflector and is capturing most of the emmited rays that would be interesting.

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Luxeon III shown in the video seems to have no sidespill, and as such would not appear to be useful in many situations. To me, a beam that cannot be made to have some spill is rarely useful.