Gladius Batteries

thehappyman

Newly Enlightened
So let me ask a dumb question.
Other than to possibly save a few bucks is there any other reason I would want to use re-chargable batteries in my Gladius ?????

Thehappyman

LEDcandle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Erm not that I know of.... rechargeables (and use only the 3v ones x 2, not the 3.7v) in the case of the Gladius is more for cost-saving and not because of the needed current.

Primaries are always great for runtime and for official use, but if you just wanna play around with your lights, its gonna be expensive to keep using primaries. (not to mention that so far all batt venting cases are with primary lithiums and no li-ons so far... knock wood)

thehappyman

Newly Enlightened
I wonder if you get a brighter beam with the primaries ????

Especially the 1500 mah ones like those made by night-ops.
I have found that if you buy the primaries in bulk, the average battery price isnt too bad. I guess it all depends on how much and often you use the light.

Thehappyman

Schnotts

Newly Enlightened
I am using the 900 mah Tenergy's in my Gladius and they are alright. I have to pull them out every few shifts to charge them because i find they loose there charge (why...no clue?) after a while if I don't use them and they certainly don't last as long as standard batteries.
I find that standard batteries after awhile in the Gladius, the output decreases (see output/time chart in flashlightreviews.com) but with the rechargeables, I always have 100% output.:) (As long as you don't mind pullilng them out to charge them)

Last edited:

T4R06

Enlightened
thanks schnotts, did they last at least 30mins? if they, i will be happy with that. i just ordered 4. i dont mind if they wont last that long. important is they will work on gladius without any problems..

thehappyman

Newly Enlightened
T4R06 said:
i ordered Tenergy 3.0V 900mAH from batteryjunction. i hope they will work fine on gladius

With 900 mah batteries youre going to loose max power really quckly compared to the night-ops 1500 mah cells.
And depending on the true max current drain of the Gladius with those rechargables you may not have much bright time at all........
If you buy the primaries in bulk thier unit price isnt bad at all.....

Thehappyman

T4R06

Enlightened
got the tenergy 3.0v 900mAH. thought i did a test on nuwai TM-301X-5 (lux V) runtime is 20mins full power then it went off.
gladius is coming tomorrow!

Optic Nerve

Newly Enlightened
I got an aluminum C123A dummy cell from AW. I use the dummy cell with RC123a and it works great in my gladius.

LEDcandle

Flashlight Enthusiast
3v 600mah batts run about 58 minutes when the Gladius is left on on full.

Remember that it steps down to about 85% output at 5 mins and steps down further to about 65% at 15 mins and stays there all the way till it shuts off.

On a second test, running the Gladius at 50% output right from the start, I got 2hrs 20 mins of regulated constant light.

Schnotts

Newly Enlightened
LEDcandle said:
3v 600mah batts run about 58 minutes when the Gladius is left on on full.

Remember that it steps down to about 85% output at 5 mins and steps down further to about 65% at 15 mins and stays there all the way till it shuts off.

On a second test, running the Gladius at 50% output right from the start, I got 2hrs 20 mins of regulated constant light.

Why does it "step down" like that? I assume thats the design of the light? I wish my Gladius gave 100% until the batteries died.:huh:

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
The circuitry assumes that if you have your light on for several minutes at a time, you'll prefer having more runtime over full brightness. I believe that this feature can be circumvented by cycling the power.

LEDcandle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Schnotts said:
Why does it "step down" like that? I assume thats the design of the light? I wish my Gladius gave 100% until the batteries died.:huh:

What Tigerhawk said.

It's actually quite a smart feature as it 'gradually' steps down, which is not too jarring to the eye but adds a lot to runtime.

When we use non-regulated torches with alkaline batts (like the torches of old), we don't really notice the difference even though the moment you switch it on, the output keeps dipping. Only maybe at around the 50% mark or so do you feel the need to change batteries.

If the Gladius ran full on all the way, I would assume it would last too short.

Why not try out setting the Gladius at around 80-90% from the get-go; it might not step down then.