UK Currency

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can't find this on the web. How many Quid to a Pound? What other coins are used?
TIA, Dana
confused.gif

Alchemist

Newly Enlightened
Phred.

a quid is just a slang term for a pound and both terms are in common usage. The only other coins are pence (pennies, 100 = 1pound), coins are 1p, 2p, 5p, 10p, 20p, 50p, £1 and £2 (£5 coins are rare).

The EURO is not common currency (YET!!) and only the large stores and banks accept it.

Hope this helps.

Alan.

lightlover

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by phred:
... How many Quid to a Pound? ...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey phred, at a guess - you're an American, right ?

Quid is a slang term for a pound. (I think it comes from quid pro quo ??)

We have 100 pence to the pound, and the coins are 1p, 2p, 5p, 10p, 20p, 50p, £1, and £2.
Notes are £5, £10, £20 and £50.

[ Specials are occasionally minted, for coin collectors and to mark National occassions: these are usually worth at face value 25p, or £5. They are legal tender, but not really meant for spending, so they don't go into circulation.]

And the exchange rate for a British Pound Sterling to the Almighty Dollar is around $1.41 = £1.00

lightlover
smile.gif

Ps - phred, I can do you a good price if you want to buy London Bridge ......
wink.gif

[Edit - Alan, looks like we post-crossed. Just shows how slow my tpying is.]

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks guys. It was driving me nuts.
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR> Ps - phred, I can do you a good price if you want to buy London Bridge <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> How many Quid?
grin.gif

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR> London Bridge is in Arizona and all <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> SSHHH. They may not know that. I'm trying to pitch a deal. I want to trade the Tacoma-Narrows Bridge and maybe put a few Guinea's and Shilling's in my pocket.

lightlover

Flashlight Enthusiast
Spud:
you've been and gone and spoilt a nearly-done deal !!

Dontcha worry phred, I know what the Tacoma Narrows bridge was - that's the one that twisted so spectacularly, like a ribbon.

You can't fool me ......

lightlover
grin.gif

Size15's

Flashaholic
And here was me thinking that the only real legal tender in the UK was the Gold Sovereign, and all other currancy was just a promise (like our notes)

I have solid Gold £1, £2 and £5 coins (for some reason) in my desk drawer. I tried to pay with a normal £5 coin once and they wouldn't take it.

You can spot a fake £7 note because it has "Monopoly" printed on it. Real ones don't...

There was a move to produce a 99 pence coin because it made paying for things easier.
It wasn't made because people wanted to spend a penny after all the waiting.

Al
tongue.gif

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Size15s. I know what you mean on "real" money. I have a Gold Sovereign from my Grandfather, circa 1918, when he spent a couple of years in the UK as a consultant. "Real" Silver also has a nice sound in the hand.
grin.gif