Interesting... Kroma tailcap + SF L5 = 2 stage L5!

Chronos

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is interesting. I swapped the tailcap off of my Kroma and onto my L5. Instant 2-stage L5!

Chronos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pretty dramatic. I've got to run in a min or two, but I'll get a better idea later tonight when I get home. The lower level is visibly lower, maybe 25% or so of the output on high.

My "fatty" SW01 does not work on the Kroma. I'll try an SW02 later.

Another interesting note- the rubber grip ring from an M2/C2 body fits nicely on the Kroma!

KROMATICS

Enlightened
I just tried a PKEF tailcap on an L6 Porcupine. Screwed in all the way it clicks on to low and gives me momentary high when pushed further. Normally it would only click on to high with the stock SW02 tailcap. I'd say it was about 30 lumens. Brighter than my L2 on low which is 15 lumens.

Last edited:

Chronos

Flashlight Enthusiast
On my L5 I can tighten the cap to get constant low and click for high; tighten further for constant high; loosen and click for low, harder for high (functions just as the cap worked on my old L1). Pretty cool.

New: Tried the SW02 and it works on the Kroma- the Kroma will only turn on in "high" mode, and the colored LEDs work on high and low.

Last edited:

redcar

Enlightened
I tried the same thing and could hardly tell any difference at all. Bummer. Glad it worked out for you Chronus, I had been thinking of buying another Kroma switch just for that reason.

Redd

Chronos

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm going to have a dedicated 2-way tailcap made for my L5 so I won't use the Kroma tailcap on it... But it is interesting all the same. Now if I could find a black SW02 I'd be tempted to use it on the Kroma in those situations when a low-level light isn't needed... just because it looks so damn cool on it! :)

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmmmm. This thread makes me wonder why Surefire just doesn't make the tailcap for the L5 the same as the Kroma.....

Chronos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmmm.... good point Kdog3...

One wonders. A C-bodied and M-bodied Lux V light w/ 2 stages... sounds pretty attractive to me, at least.

Per some thread I read on this site the low is not regulated on the L5 when using the Kroma tailcap... oh well (sheesh)... I don't really care. It extends the functionality of this light dramatically though.

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had an L5 a while back with the McE2S 2-stage tailcap switch (30 ohm) and LOVED it. I sold it and regret it ever since, even though I have a U2.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
The L5 is as simple as it gets. Less things to break, less errors to make when using it. Simplicity has a great value depending on the task you need the light for, even if it sacrifices versatility. And SF offers other lights with multiple stages, so the choice is there.
bernie

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well thats a good point Bernie, but its' also nice to be able to upgrade an existing light if you wish, WITHOUT having to buy a whole new light.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Oh yes ... I like the LEGO system, too :D
You can have a McGizmo McE2S-equipped Z41 on the L4. But you already know that ... :p
bernie

Chronos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Kiessling, I agree about the simplicity of the L5. However, SF doesn't manufacture a Lux V light with the same combo of throw and spill in a stock 2-stage setup. Hence, I can't wait to get my 2-stage tailcap done.

Surefire Lego is awesome!