How much are members donating to this BBS?

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Hello,

Some of you have donated money to DavidW to offset the costs of running CPF. How much did you give? I'm not sure what the appropriate amount would be. Any thoughts?

Thanks.

DavidW

Flashlight Enthusiast
First off, I've done this because I really don't want to go to banner ads. I hate them because they make it just a little slower to load pages. I'm stuck with dialup. And I hate them even more now that they insist on pop-ups.

9 people have donated so far for a total of $323.99. More than enough to cover about 6 months at the current rate of usage. I'm signed up for 20GB of bandwidth at about $45/month. We exceed that on a montly basis. I think the highest was 37Gb of bandwidth for the month of Jan or Feb. The bill for that was about $200.00. But the typical monthly bill for CPF is about $100.00 to $150.00.

If you really feel the need to donate I think $5 to $10 is appropriate.

I'm looking for other options here. I'll ask Mort Scneider of Asch Web on what can be worked out. I really don't want to switch hosts. I've delt with others and really like Aschweb.

I'm thinking of running the flashlight links section with banner ads. While keeping banner ads out of the forum area.

Another thing I'm looking at is a monthly online raffle of a featured flashlight/lantern/spotlight. At least one person will get something in return.
tongue.gif

Maybe giving flashlight accessories out for donations. Like a Carley Lamp Xenon Star for each $10 given. Or a Brinkmann Nexstar pack. Maybe a Luxion Star.

I'm open to suggestions.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

First off, I would like to thank you for founding and supporting CPF! You are truly a giant among BBS administrators!
smile.gif
CPF is, by far, my favorite bulletin board.

Secondly, please allow me to extend my condolences to you for only having a dialup connection. I can sympathize with you since I'm on a 26.4 connection. My 56K modem used to connect at 28.8 but after the installation of new cable to the CO, my speed has dropped!

I was considering a donation in the range of $25 - $50. Some money should be coming my way soon, so I will make a donation as soon as possible.

Your idea of giving Carley lamps to people who donate is a great. Which ones do you have?

Thanks.

LEDagent

Flashlight Enthusiast
As a struggling college student still living off of mom and pop, i'm limiting my funds to $10 max every other month...Just wait till i get a job.
grin.gif

As soon as i get the funds all saved up (gotta pay for other stuff too) i'll send it via snail mail. Thanks Craig for the address!
grin.gif

Empath

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DavidW:
I'm thinking of running the flashlight links section with banner ads. While keeping banner ads out of the forum area.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Another option is a sponsor page, with ads. A link could be included at the top or bottom of your other pages.

Those targeting the marketing characteristics of the average CPF member would have an advantage others advertisers don't. The average CPF member welcomes properly presented informative product announcements.

The sponsors would have to realize, though, their product may receive criticism as much as praise.

PhilAlex

Enlightened
Some of the sellers of flashlights have affilliate programs.

Signing up for them is free. Sticking them on a link page would cost nothing.

Can you kill my bandwidth by having no smileys and such? Cookie me to remember it?

--Phil

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast
I believe I was the one that originally suggested a regular monthly contribution might be the most helpful way to go. At the time (& now) I was figureing $10 would be appropriate. (1) I get at least $10 worth of "entertainment" from the board (at least when Darrel's on here regularly
grin.gif
) per month. (2) $10 is not going to put a crimp in my budget. (3) If all the regulars can contribute $5-$10, David won't have to be messing with the running auctions or what-not. I imagine he has enough to keep him busy. Just my 3 cents again (inflation).
smile.gif
wink.gif
smile.gif
TX

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I give it when I have it. Some months, I have it, while other months I'm forced to choose between a package of bread or a roll of toilet paper by the 15th. (The TP usually wins this battle).
smile.gif

So it all depends on the bills. If they're high, nobody gets any, and I don't buy any flashlights. And if they're low, I tend to spread my newfound, albiet temporary "wealth" around a bit. Some through donations, some through the purchase of flashlights & batteries.

This month I gave David $35 for CPF. Around Christmas I think I gave $15 or $20. And I even managed to save enough to get my hands on an Arc-LS "second" when they become available; although that pretty much leaves me circling the drain for awhile as far as money goes.

Size15's

Flashaholic
I'd prefer not to have adverts etc slowing down the board.

I think the flashlight raffle is a great idea.

If Flashlight companies made up a Special Edition (Limited to 10 or less) with a CPF Supporter Logo.

I'd buy tickets.

Al

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by darell:
Cool. Does that mean that if I send 10 real dollars AND I stop leaving for vacation, that it'll be like matching funds?
shocked.gif
Can't pass up that opportunity!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I don't even mind you going on vacation as long as you post some pictures when you get back. You daughter looks like a handfull. My daughter just moved out of the house about an hour ago. The grow up really fast. TX

Darell

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by txwest:
I get at least $10 worth of "entertainment" from the board (at least when Darrel's on here regularly
grin.gif
) per month.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Cool. Does that mean that if I send 10 real dollars AND I stop leaving for vacation, that it'll be like matching funds?
shocked.gif
Can't pass up that opportunity!

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll be tossing some ca$h David's way as soon as the family accountant (read: the wife
shocked.gif
) gives the approval based on this month's expenses.

I really hate banner ads.