Any disadvantages to using Eneloop in lights?

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not sure of what you might be looking for, but one of the tradeoffs might be the lower current capacity. Not sure that it's really a disadvantage though as some of the higher capacity NiMH batteries seem to lose much of their usable charge in as little as a couple of weeks.

Al

Enlightened
Lower current capacity - yes ... longer shelflife - yes.
Flatter discharge curve under load - preferable?

MrAl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi there,

The biggest disadvantage is for the companies that sell regular NiMHs, in that
soon they wont be selling any more ha ha :)

eluminator

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lower current capacity, or lower energy capacity?

I've never heard they could pass less current. Their internal resistance seems as low as any of my NiMH.

Al

Enlightened
eluminator said:
Lower current capacity, or lower energy capacity?

I've never heard they could pass less current. Their internal resistance seems as low as any of my NiMH.

Energy capacity

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Yes, let's not get confused on this.

2000 mAh is less than 2500 or 2700 mAh. That is capacity.

As far as current goes, in the NiMh Battery Shootout thread I tested them at 10 amps and they held up fairly well. Most higher capacity cells fell flat on their face at that load.

Tom

lrp said:

Usually, none.

Regular NiMHs are available in up to 2700mAh in AA size(*1), but you lose around a percent a day, so over one month, your sacrifice to self discharge is 810mAh, leaving you with 1890mAh.

eneloop is 2,000mAh but only loses around 15% of charge i one year.

For GPS unit that you start up and eats through the battery in one to two days of use, definitely 2700mAh. Same with camera equipment you use up the charge within a week.

Anything that takes you over a week to use up the charge, it's a toss up. but as you approach the one month, the larger capacity NiMH loses advantage and after one month, it goes downhill compared to eneloop

http://data.energizer.com/PDFs/nickelmetalhydride_appman.pdf

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Tom, that's good to know, even though I can't think of a time when I might run a 10A draw on a AA sized battery. Picked up 3 packs of Eneloops a couple of weeks ago, but haven't opened them yet. Uh ... I'll check for the HR stamp when I open the to see if they're real Sanyos ;) :D

SilverFox said:
As far as current goes, in the NiMh Battery Shootout thread I tested them at 10 amps and they held up fairly well. Most higher capacity cells fell flat on their face at that load.

Tom

aosty

Enlightened
SilverFox said:

I've been using Eneloops in a 9-10A hotwire and they work fine. :naughty: :cool:

ps56k

Enlightened
interesting point - comparing a traditional 2500 vs 2000 eneloop - but at different elapsed calendar times vs usual run times....
So, if you need lots of capacity for "right now" then you would want the overall highest capacity battery... but if you want a higher grab off the shelf after a week time, then the 2000 eneloop might be the better choice.

max52

Newly Enlightened
I just purchased Eneloop AA, and AAA. The instructions do not mention any specific re-charging procedure. Should they be recharged just like my Sanyo 2500s'?

Also, although not necessary, SHOULD they be charged prior to use for maximum effiency? Do they need to be cycled?

Many questions...

thekobk

Newly Enlightened
[font=&quot]I have put 12 titanium enduros and 8 raovac hybrids "believed to be the same battery" through cycle testing on my bc-900 and get about 2150mha on all of my battery's. I would have bought the enduros but there not available were I live and at under $9 a 4 pack aa or aaa for the hybrids at Wal-Mart I had to by them.[/font]