Help with Light to mount onto a Picatinny Rail!

lightemup

Flashaholic*
Hi all,

I need some help with working up some options for mounting a light onto a picatinny rail. Before I get started I already have the following:

Surefire x200a (set up for pistol), Insight M6x (with the pistol backplate), Surefire M3, 6P, 9P, E2D, L4, and a Black M2 Bezel. I'd love to mount my M6 to it but I don't think its possible?

What I need is a way to convert / adapt any of the above to mount onto a Picatinny rail. Preferably a budget conscious solution (but throw me every idea you have :) ) that will allow for a remote tapeswitch.

1. I was thinking maybe putting the M2 bezel on the 9p, adding a xm07 switch and finding a mount to attach the 9p to the rail.

2. I've priced the accessories for the M6x to convert from an Australian dealer (along with a flip open cover, spare bulb and the remote switch) and it ran to nearly $500 Australian!!!!

3. I thought about finding a mount of some sort that will fit the E2d / L4?

Any thoughts / comments suggestions etc would be appreciated!

Mikeg23

Enlightened
It sounds like you have most everything you need. I have a G2 with a Z32 bezel on it, I mount it at 9:00 with what looks to be a very short 1" scope ring. At 9:00 I can activate it with my thumb while holding my tango down vertical grip.

A lot of the pressure switchs are pricey, but the cost is worth it. When I first tried mounting a light to a rifle I purchased a cheap presure switch and I'm glad I did because I quickly decided I wasn't crazy about the idea of a tape switch.

Had I decided that I like having a tape switch though I would have had to get a nicer one because the cheap one required a great deal of finger pressure. Most of the nicer tape switchs that I have played with though don't require enough finger pressure, they are easy to accidently push.

Mikeg23

Enlightened
Another thing I might add is that you probably want to go with the lightest combination possible. Though it may not make a big difference.

Paladin

Enlightened
If you can mount your light on a 9 oclock rail where your support hand thumb can hit the tailcap button a tape switch won't be needed. Then the Surefire M78 (e sized bodies) or M79 (1 inch light bodies) ring/clamp could be used to attach your light to the rail. Very secure, fairly inexpensive, and the light can be removed for handheld use in moments.

Paladin

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like an offset mount which puts the light at 5 O'clock position. I highly recommend anything made by Mark Larue (www.laruetactical.com). He makes the best QD mounts IMO and also makes an offset mount for flashlight. He has ones sized for the E series as well as the C and M series surefires. Larue's mounts are not cheap but compared to the competition like A.R.M.S. his are preferred by a lot of folks who are serious about their equipment.

lightemup

Flashaholic*
Nekomane: Thanks for the link!

Mike: Unfortunately my setup with the Remmy won't let me use my support hand to use the light in momentary. If this was the case it would be a click on and leave the light on until everything was finished. Copy that about the weight :)

Paladin: Can't do because the light will be attached to the rail in line with the optic. If this was the case I would have mounted my Gladius and kept going :) I'll definitely be checking out the Surefire M78 and M79 though, I take it they're quick release rings?

CM I'll check Larue out too!

Thanks all for you suggestions so far. Al it is to mount onto a Remington 7615 using a Weaver tri-rail. We've been exhaustively searching for a solution to mount a light on the Remmy for a while with no success. I'll be mounting the tri-rail later today to see how it goes. I think I will mount the light on the 9:00 piece of the rail.

Al, the intended purpose of the setup is:night time varmint hunting, for use in a 2 gun competition, and probably the overriding reason is because I can and i'm a flashaholic :)

So what lego to put on?

Last edited:

lightemup

Flashaholic*
Mike:

Quote from Mike: "When I first tried mounting a light to a rifle I purchased a cheap presure switch and I'm glad I did because I quickly decided I wasn't crazy about the idea of a tape switch."

So does that mean you don't like the idea of the xm07? Why don't you like the tape switch? Thanks

Mikeg23

Enlightened
A pump action, I see, when I posted I was thinking AR15 or some other style semi-auto rifle.

No I don't like the idea of tape switchs at all, but that is entirely personnal preference. As I said my cheap tape switch required a lot of finger pressure and the xm07 doesn't require enough pressure in my opinion. In my opinion the XM07 would be too easy to accidently push.

Another reason, which isn't very important, is that I generally leave the G2 off of my AR and the tape switch, even with velcro, would make it that much more to take off.

lightemup

Flashaholic*
I mounted the Tri-rail and its a mixed bag: it lifted the eotech waaaay high so that I can't get a cheekweld and still see through the dot. What i've done for the time being is wrapped a bandage around the stock, put a black wrist sweatband around it, and 100MPH taped it at both ends to secure it. I can get a sight picture again but its not exactly high speed low drag...

I took it to the range and rezeroed it, took about 15 or 20 clicks to get it in. If it wasn't for the height issue it would be perfect! I've got the x200 on it at the moment, on the left side. A bit close to the ejection port on the right side for my liking.

I'm holding off on getting the other mounts just in case the rail gets ditched entirely.

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is an "economy" parts light. Surefire 6Z, M2 shock isolated bezel, cheap weaver mount, Surefire XM07 clickie and tape switch (the most expensive part of the setup)

SOCOM1.jpg

The Knight grip is now replaced by a Tango Down with a tape switch holder. I wasn't a big fan of tape switches but the TD vertical grip made it much more user friendly. Just make sure you secure the cord to prevent snagging on anything. The holder on the TD recesses the tape switch far enough to prevent accidental white light discharge. You have to really press (or squeeze) to activate, yet it's not so heavy as to make it difficult to activate. I have other plans for this setup as it already has evolved since taking this picture several years ago. Maybe a C to M converter to put a KL6-Cree on the rifle. Larue mount is in the works.

quokked

Enlightened
Last edited:

lightemup

Flashaholic*
Cheers CM, I think thats exactly the direction i'm travelling with either my 9p or 6p, m2 bezel, and i'm trying to get a hold of a xm07. Yeah I was worried about the snagging, but I fugure a bit of 100mph tape'll do the trick.

Quok: Thanks for the links mate, I nearly did what cm said and just got a weaver mount, but a good quick release one would be ideal. It doesn't look like those Surefire clamps are quick release? They just went to number one on my list anyway :)

lightemup

Flashaholic*
Thanks Al, so the mount is designed to stay permanently attached, and its just the light that is released...

Anyone have one lying around :)

CM: How did you secure the tape? 100mph tape or velcro?

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
lightemup said:
...CM: How did you secure the tape? 100mph tape or velcro?

I used tie wraps originally, then went to velcro for quick removal. It doesn't have to be super secure, it just has to hold it out of the way. There are velcro strips now at the 2, 4, 8, 10 o'clock position on the handguard. It doesn't get in the way when mounting on the rails themselves but they're there to attach to when needed.

lightemup

Flashaholic*
By tie wraps do you mean cable ties?

I'm just trying to think where i'd get velcro strips from: a hardware store or sewing shop?

Would you have a close up photo so I can see the velcro strips on it?

Thank for the help :)