the new guy help needed

crashtestway

Newly Enlightened
ok i am new here so bear with me.. i am looking for super bright flashlite to replace my ageing mags" #1 3d/ #3 2aa/ #1 1aaa plus some older ones tha suck... i have tried the led upgrade for both my mag 2aa and 3d and even my 3d does not put out the light i need more but would like it to be smaller i have heard good things about surefire g2 iam trying to stay under 45 bones:broke: if i can here also what do i do with all of these old flashlight??? Maybe i should go to a "FLASHLITE ANONYMOUS" meeting? Any info would be great???

thanks crashtestway

lightemup

Flashaholic*
Welcome Crash,

Firstly, Welcome to cpf!

You can't go wrong with the G2 with LOTC, its a real winner. Bear in mind though that it will run CR123 lithium batteries. As long as you shop around you should still be able to get them for about $1 or $1.50 each.

I'd even consider an Inova T3, as it is bright, an led, and you won't ever have to buy any more bulbs for it. Runs on the same batteries as the G2.

If it were me, i'd stash your older lights in places you might need them: in the car, inside the front door of the house etc. I'd even suggest getting a led drop in for the 2aa so you can use it as a REALLY long running pretty much bash proof light.

I think you'll have some good fun finding what you want :) Good luck!

Mikeg23

Enlightened
crashtestway said:
...i have tried the led upgrade for both my mag 2aa and 3d and even my 3d does not put out the light i need more but would like it to be smaller

I understand the desire to go smaller, but the new C/D cell mag LEDs put out a lot of light, when they are focused down they throw more than a G2. Though I still prefer the G2, everyone should have a G2 you know.:grin2:

I'm sure you can find use for the old lights just stash them in various places.

ETA: On second thought, you mention that you upgraded your AA as well so I am wondering... which LED did you use for the 3D Mag? The one made by NiteIze or the one made by Mag.

Last edited:

Concept

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome aboard

If you like the size of the 2AA try a Fenix L2S or L2T. Great light, right on the money and great value for money too.

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello crashtestway and welcome to CPF:)

Hmmm..., you said, you own a Mag 3D with Led drop-in and it isn't bright enough. You are looking for a brighter, smaller light under 45$.

It would be helpfull, if you could specify your tasks for the light. Do you want more throw, sidespill or overall output? What's about the runtime you are looking for?

I doubt, that a G2 or Inova T3 fits your needs, since a Mag 3D-Led is hard to beat for the money in therms of throw and brightness.

I guess, you have to stock up your budget.

Best regards

_____
Tom

crashtestway

Newly Enlightened
leds....

i use the one from mag in my 3d and a walmart brand in one of my 2 aa still need more lite then what leds put out

Ledacholic Anonymous

Newly Enlightened
Look into the INOVA range. You will more than likely find one that suits you. The INOVA T5 uses 3 CR123 and it is very bright with good through. The X5 has a better flood and very nice for close up job. Its uses 2 CR123 and lasts a decent 6 hours. The newer model has brighter LEDs.

carrot

Flashaholic
My first "real" flashlight was the Surefire G2. You can't really go wrong with the G2, but I'd also recommend considering the Inova T3 or the Fenix L2T...

But if you want the best "bang" for your buck, I'd recommend the Streamlight TL3, for $50 shipped at Amazon.com and other retailers. It's bright and has excellent throw.

fishx65

Enlightened
Do a search on the 4AA Luxeon pro-poly. Seems like everyone on here has a couple of these. 50 bucks will get you two!

Mikeg23

Enlightened
crashtestway said:
leds....

i use the one from mag in my 3d and a walmart brand in one of my 2 aa still need more lite then what leds put out

If the 3D Mag LED isn't bright enough then most of the suggestions here will fall short as well.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Replacement for your Mag 2AAA = River Rock 2AAA model: LED, pocket carry clip. Available at Target for $10

G2 Alternative. = Brinkmann Maxfire LX: Same performance, uses same batteries. Also available at Target, and for only $17. No reason to buy a Surefire G2, unless you want to show off that you have a genuine Surefire.

Mag 2AA replacement = Inova Radiant 2AA model: Very bright LED for a reasonable amount of money. Flashlight is mostly made out of plastic I believe.

BlackDecker

Enlightened
I never found that just ONE flashlight filled all my lighting needs. I like my Streamlight ProPoly 4AA Luxeon for the big lighting needs, a Fenix L1P for medium range stuff, the Fenix L0PSE for EDC (every day carry).

Another light to consider are the Streamlight Twin Tasks. They come in various cell sizes, give you a Xenon bulb and LED's which allows 2 different types of lighting for the conditions you experience.

I haven't paid over $50 for any single light; part of the reason I don't own a Surefire :)

carrot

Flashaholic
Mikeg23 said:
If the 3D Mag LED isn't bright enough then most of the suggestions here will fall short as well.
I think the Streamlight TL3 (incan) definitely outperforms the MagLED.

Mikeg23

Enlightened
carrot said:
I think the Streamlight TL3 (incan) definitely outperforms the MagLED.

You may be right. I have a Surefire 9P and I have read that the TL3 out throws it quite a bit. In comparison the Mag LED will throw farther than a 9P. I just thought it was funny that many of the posters in this thread don't seem to have read the lighting requirement before making a suggestion.

Crashtestway is going to have to give a better description of what qualifies for bright. Crashtestway, are you looking for a light that throws well and shines on a tree across the yard or are you looking for a light that lights up everything in the immediate vicinity.

crashtestway

Newly Enlightened
immediate vicinity is what i want..... i don't want to blind pilots as they fly over head..........hmmm..............that next months thing to put on the old to do list:lolsign:

Calina

Enlightened
Did you try cleaning the contacts on your lights?

The bottom spring could have oxidized over the years. I'd guess the led part should be OK since it is new.

This could easily improve your light output at no cost.

thunderlight

Enlightened
Hi Crashtestway,

The 123 batteries are going to cost more than comparable standard batteries. So, even if the light, itsellf, is relatively inexpensive, the batteries, even at $1 a pop will be. I use a mix of 123 battery lights and lights with standard batteries depending on my needs and interests.

Some more decent standard battery light suggestions that are relatively cheap:

- Inova 2C Radiant - LED
- Craftsman 4AA Rubber Light - INCAN - IMHO light output rivals G2/Maxfire
- Princeton Tec Tec-40 [4AA] - Good General Purpose Incandescent
- UK 4AA Zoom Eled - Good LED light with safety light certifications - [a bit pricey in my opinion]
- Gerber Sonic [New Model with recessed LED] - Good 1AAA light that could replace a 2 AAA minimag / also like the 2AAA radiant and the River Rock 2AAA mentioned above
- Eveready Lantern or similar -- Get a 4D-to-lantern-battery holder - Garrity makes these - dirt cheap powerful incandescent.

Also, whatever you may think of Mag incan lights, I like the Magnum Star Xenon bulbs and use these in all of my incans [assuming I'm not trying to overdrive the bulb]. I find it a PITA to hunt down exotic proprietary bulb types. This is contrary to general consensus on the forum and does limit my choice of incans..

Last edited: