How safe are high powered lasers?

cutlerylover

Banned
Hey guys...I was thinking about buying a high powered laser..the more power the better, but my budget is keeping in the 50 - 75mw range...I want to know exactly how dangerous these lasers are?

More specifically when exposed to the skin and eyes...I am a carefull person but I was thinking if I accidentally shined this on somethign and it reflected off and got me in the eye how bad will it be? Even if it is for a slpit second I heard about permanent eye damage...Now I am very interested in these lasers but if there that dangerous I amm not sure if I want to have one in the house...there is a 12 year old in my house and although I keep dangerous items like my knives locked up and out of reach I even though I am cautious, and try not to leave things around, I am still worried that it could be a problem if found and played with...anyone has experience with these getting them in the eye? or on your skin?

Special goggles or other safety precations taken when using your lasers? Any and all information welcome, Thanks!

emrbrtn

Enlightened
If you're worried about it hitting your eyes get some goggles. They can usually be found pretty cheap on ebay. You probably don't need them, but it doesn't hurt. I almost always use goggles when using my 100mw. Don't worry about hitting your skin, no damage there it just stings a bit. Lasers are perfectly safe, it is the user that is dangerous.

cutlerylover

Banned
Thats the problem...thats why I don't have any guns in the house (there all at my fathers house) because 12 year olds seem to have this gift of getting into thigns they shouldn't and I was just affraid something bad might happen...So I might hold off for a little bit, but if I do decide to get one I will just have to lock it up in a special place where no one has any access to it and even if they find it they won't be able to open the box its in...I think I have a money box that locks somewhere I can throw it in there and back in the closet of something...thats if I do decide to buy one...they do look fun!

Latest posts