My Fenix L0PSE popped like a balloon!

RipplesOfLife

Newly Enlightened
Well, not exactly. But it did make a loud pop when I unscrewed the head.

After having it on for some time, it got harder to twist. And this is with using smaller supplied o-ring too.

I'm positive it's the battery (this particular one) together with the high current drain.

To start with, the battery is old and leaky type (not leaking yet), but still has a lot of energy left.

Actually, I just tried this battery in my arc-p. Same thing happened, but not as intense.

Ok, I guess since these lights are pretty air tight, pressure can build quite fast inside. And by using batteries that are not in good condition, a lot of pressure can build up if it goes unnoticed. Also, the rate of pressure build up depends on the current too.

So the little-loud pop I heard was all that pressure escaping when opening the light.

I just tried it in another light, no pop. Guess the lower current drain and not so air tightness is keeping the battery happy.

Last edited:

eebowler

Flashlight Enthusiast
I assume you're talking about an alkaline cell? These things are hazardous to aluminium bodied flashlights when they are almost dead. You're lucky it didn't leak and wreck your LOP. :sweat:

chesterqw

Flashlight Enthusiast
air tight= water proof to some degree.

unless you get something that has the gas release valve or some catalyst pellets, that gas build up will create some high pressure.

also, use fresh batteries and don't use those almost dead ones. when you over use the cells, they build up gas...

RipplesOfLife

Newly Enlightened
eebowler said:
I assume you're talking about an alkaline cell? These things are hazardous to aluminium bodied flashlights when they are almost dead. You're lucky it didn't leak and wreck your LOP. :sweat:

Yes, it was an akaline. Actually, the last flashlight I tested also gave out a puff.

I remember that I read somewhere that lithium (AA, AAA) batteries are not as proned to leaking as other batteries?

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, what's the story with the big o-rings? How do I get more of the traditional size?

I've noticed the same thing with an E0 I just got, compared to ones from weeks ago. It seems they went from slightly-loose to too-tight. Krytox isn't helping much.

savumaki

Enlightened
RipplesOfLife said:
Yes, it was an akaline. Actually, the last flashlight I tested also gave out a puff.

I remember that I read somewhere that lithium (AA, AAA) batteries are not as proned to leaking as other batteries?

No offense, but at some point you should chuck them and replace with new. You seem to be getting a message each time.

BTW, you either work the night shift or get up VERY early :)

Karl

mcmc

Flashlight Enthusiast
So you know how some ppl have "battery drainer" lights to use up cells that won't start other lights? Is that no good?

greenLED

Flashaholic
savumaki said:
No offense, but at some point you should chuck them and replace with new. You seem to be getting a message each time.
Yup, that's a sign of a cell venting. While it may still generate some light, it's a matter of time before it leaks and ruins your lights. Time to replace it.

soapy

Newly Enlightened
Just a note:

Waterproof =/= Air tight

Waterproof means it won't let water in or out, but air molecules are smaller, so they may be able to get in or out. Just look at Gortex.