Dating an SL-20

Wetterman

Newly Enlightened
I bought a couple of old police trade-in SL-20's. Now I need your help to date them. I asked Streamlight and they couldn't even tell the year they were manufactured. If you could share the serial and when you bought your SL-20 I would be really thankful. The serials on my lights are SD150802 and SD151275.
If I could figure out even the year that would be cool.

DonL

Enlightened
Oh, I thought you wanted to "date" date it.

I was gonna suggest dinner somewhere nice and quiet followed by a chick flick. Don't invite it out for a weekend in the country until you know it better.

Anyway, never mind.

I find it hard to believe that they don't have any kind of manufacturing records that they can reference, unless they do, and they're not electronic, and somebody would have to do a little work and look them up.

Last edited:

Wetterman

Newly Enlightened
They told me they don't have serials number records from 20 years ago. Some guy from there told me that they made the last SL-20's in 1987.

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have several. I bought mine in 1982. I can check on the serial number for you after I get home

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
If these are the ones with the slide switches (the original SL-20, not the SL-20x), they're commonly referred to as "Pre-86" You can use all of the current SL20 accessories and most of the parts, to restore those lights (lamp assemblies, batteries, lens,) and you can still get chargers and switch assemblies from some of the Streamlight regional distributors.

Wetterman said:
They told me they don't have serials number records from 20 years ago. Some guy from there told me that they made the last SL-20's in 1987.

Wetterman

Newly Enlightened
They are exactly the ones and I know all that. I actually ordered a charger for them and couple of spare switches. Now share your serials and dates of purchases please...

Brighteyez said:
If these are the ones with the slide switches (the original SL-20, not the SL-20x), they're commonly referred to as "Pre-86" You can use all of the current SL20 accessories and most of the parts, to restore those lights (lamp assemblies, batteries, lens,) and you can still get chargers and switch assemblies from some of the Streamlight regional distributors.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can give you S/Ns at some point but can't help you with the dates other the fact that I've had one for well over 20 years, the other one was kinda found (actually left in a car and no one knew who it belonged to) about 10-15 years ago.

Wetterman said:
They are exactly the ones and I know all that. I actually ordered a charger for them and couple of spare switches. Now share your serials and dates of purchases please...

Wetterman

Newly Enlightened
If it means something the tailcaps on both lights are stamped Streamlight Inc., pat pend. Made in USA, Norristown, PA, Barstow CA

Bullet Bob

Enlightened
I'm new here and have been lurking around for the last few weeks trying to come up to speed as it were with all this new light technology as it were. I saw this post and since I have a SL 20 sitting here that I'm going to mod out I took a look and saw there is indeed a number on the unit.
SB411697 . I actually have two of these but the other one is buried somewhere but they were obtained at the same time. If memory serves these lights I have are circa 1983. Maybe that will shed some light on your quest. (pun intended)

xcel730

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh, I thought you wanted to "date" date it.

I was gonna suggest dinner somewhere nice and quiet followed by a chick flick. Don't invite it out for a weekend in the country until you know it better.

LOL, I was thinking the same exact thing when I saw the title. I was going to add to my thread: "You know you're a flashaholic when you ask CPF members where to take your flashlight out on date". Sorry for the OT. Carry along.

Triple A

Newly Enlightened
LOL, I was thinking the same exact thing when I saw the title. I was going to add to my thread: "You know you're a flashaholic when you ask CPF members where to take your flashlight out on date". Sorry for the OT. Carry along.

Right there with you guys. I was going to suggest mini-mag candlemode dinner with a human female. Keeps flashlights in the mix, but much more satisfying overall....:eek: Sorry- please continue with light identification!