Huntlight FT-A3

Buffalohump

Enlightened
Hey guys,

I'm looking around for a light that will replace my current keychain light, the Fenix E1. I'm not wild about the beam of the E1 and I use my keychain light quite a bit.

I was looking at the new L0P SE, but the multi-stage thing is not a huge issue for a keychain light.

What I do like is good throw (long runtime is not essential as I always carry more than one light and spare cells) and a nice solid, white beam. It doesn't have to have a wide spill.

I was browsing Lighthound (my favourite light dealer) and saw the Huntlight FT-A3. I have their FT-02X, which my wife carries, and I/we are very happy with it.

These are the specs of the FT-A3 according to Lighthound:

AA powered
1 hour runtime
45 lumens output
7cm X 1,4 cm

So it's the same size as the E1, which is important, and has quite a lot more output. I don't know if it is regulated though. It goes for $34.

Does anyone have any experience with this light? Love to hear your opinions/thoughts/suggestions.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
I have this light, and have EDCed it for several months now (note that the newer FT-A3s have knurling on the head, but otherwise seem identical to my earlier specimen). I also own the E1 and L0P, so I can give some perspective.

Overall output on the FT-A3 is excellent, about 10% brighter than my L0P according to my lightmeter (the L0P is my wife's EDC). The beam has a slightly less tight hotspot than the L0P, which I rather like (note that the peak throw is a bit less than the L0P for this very reason). Sidespill is about the same, except for the slight increase in brightness on the FT-A3. Interesting, my new L0P-SE has a very similar beam profile to the Huntlight (i.e. broader hotspot), although again with just slightly less output.

But there is a trade-off here - the runtimes are considerably less than the L0P. On the FT-A3, I get only about 30 mins to 50% on alkaline or NiMH (with NiMH much better regulated, of course), and just under 1 hour with L92 lithiums. My L0P gets over 1 hour on alkaline, and about 1 hour 15min on NiMH.

Build quality is quite good, although I find there's not that many threads on the body for screwing in the head, making a bit tricky to hold the unit together when you are changing the battery (which I do frequently, obviously). But it has a more substantial feel than the L0P otherwise, and the HA has held up well to date.

If the runtimes don't bother you, I'd recommend this light. But for most people, I think the L0P is better value. I also find the E1 beam a little blue and ringy, despite the great run time (nearly 3 hours on NiMH). For the best of all worlds, I'd recommend the L0P-SE for most everyone today. Once I'm done testing my sample, it's going to become my new EDC.

Buffalohump

Enlightened
Thanks for that great assessment, helps a great deal.

I guess the L0P has it then!

I actually like most things about my E1 - except the beam, but that's a fairly critical aspect of any flashlight : )

But the different stages will make things more interesting at least...

And give me a good excuse to upgrade

:grin2:

veleno

Enlightened
I'm a little confused. :confused:

Here http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showpost.php?p=1683210&postcount=1 there is a FT-A3 with a new circuit and it has about 11-13 lumens.

Lighthound sells 2 versions with the same description: one with a R bin and one with a S bin. Have they really 45 lumens? Differences between the R and S bin?

I'm really interested in buying one, but I have to be sure of the output.

veleno

Enlightened
light_emitting_dude said:
There are some new AA and AAA huntlights coming out sometime next week and have the new SSC led. Check them out!

Thanks for the news! I only hope the AAA Huntlight will not have 3-4 levels + sos and strobe... :thumbsdow

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast
veleno said:
Thanks for the news! I only hope the AAA Huntlight will not have 3-4 levels + sos and strobe... :thumbsdow

Jon said they are going to be single stage.

frankr

Newly Enlightened
I already have a Huntlight FT-A3 - (S version 45 lumen) and it is a great light. Any idea what the Lumen output will be with a SSC led. Will I be able to use a Li-Ion 10440 battery with the SSC led version? If so how many more lumens would I get?