PLEASE don't list your lights in your Signature! (UPDATE-It's ok searches dont do sig

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
PLEASE don\'t list your lights in your Signature! (UPDATE-It\'s ok searches dont do sig

PLEASE don't list your lights in your Signature!

It makes searching for information on a certain light nearly impossible!

Let's say you own a RA-3500 (I made that name up, isn't RA the Sun god of some ancient culture (Egypt?)?)

Now let's say you put this "RA-3500" in your SIGNATURE for EVERY POST that you make, as one of the lights that you are proud to own. Now lets say you have 500 posts.

Now, a Newbie comes along, and finds this site, and is interested in the RA-3500. He does a search, and instead of finding just the posts that discuss the RA-3500, he finds EVERY SINGLE THREAD that you ever posted in.

I am not trying to be rude to anyone! Just trying to make it easier for users to search for information!

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: PLEASE don\'t list your lights in your Signature! (UPDATE-It\'s ok searches dont do sig

Rats-- and I thought I'd finally found some info on the RA-3500 solar-powered flashlight!

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: PLEASE don\'t list your lights in your Signature! (UPDATE-It\'s ok searches dont do sig

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Alaric Darconville:
Rats-- and I thought I'd finally found some info on the RA-3500 solar-powered flashlight!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have the RA-3000, I can't get the Ra-3500 in my area yet! <grin>

Nice touch, the Solar Powered light!

Can only be used in the daytime!

LEDagent

Flashlight Enthusiast

Back on topic....I will personally remove my sig. But only to reduce the bandwith problems we've ben having.
grin.gif

D

**DONOTDELETE**

I've removed my signature line and sometimes refrain from using the quote function.

Darell

Flashaholic

You've got a VERY good point. I've done the same sort of search once or twice and had the same result you mention. The only advantage to including the lights in the sig is that you can quickly find guys to talk to privately if need be. But I think the disadvantages outweigh the advantages.

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast

Does the Search function also search sig lines too then? I do`nt search much, it takes far too long here over my slow dialup connection.
I thought in UBB6, sigs were thought of as seperate entities- hence why when you change your sig line under "profile", it changes in all your posts. The old UBB4.x pasted sigs in as part of the post- they were even there in the box if you went in to edit your post- and if you didn`t delete it, it would post the sig twice!

Anyway, no chance I`ll ever list all my lights in my sig line, there just isn`t enough room!

tongue.gif

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast

I re-read my original post, and I might have come across too strongly. The attitude here has always been very polite, and I do not want to change that attitude.

I have been on BBS's where one is almost afraid to post anything, for fear of getting spammed because you asked a stupid question, or re-asked a question that has already been asked.

It is nice to hang out in a friendly atmosphere.

If signatures DO NOT get searched, then the point is moot.

UPDATE - in doing some searches, I searched for the following (exact cut and pastes from people's signatures):

- Doug P (Quickbeam) - Reviewer -
The purple light will bring
Sean's Flashlight Site
LED's = Cold Light
Carpe Carpio!
carl
Hard Use Knives In The World
have enough features yet

NOT ONE of these searches turned up any results.

SO, I stand HUMBLY corrected. PLEASE put all your equipment in your signature. I DO think that it is a good idea, only if to see what someone else is using.

I always just assumed that the signatures were searched.

I know that other BBS's search signatures.

AGAIN, my apoligies if anyone was offended or P.O.'ed at me.

I did not know that signitures wer omited from searches. Maybe I am wrong, but my research says that they don't.

DavidW

Flashlight Enthusiast

UBB maintains a seperate file for searches. It's exactly what's in threads except it is very compressed. No siglines are attached. Some members add their own thing without using the signature feature. Those do get searched.

Darell

Flashaholic

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DavidW:
Some members add their own thing without using the signature feature. Those do get searched.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ah. There's the answer I was looking for. I'm sure that's what happened to me. Good to know that the sig is not searched. Thanks!

Latest posts