Ultra or Ultra-M

chiphead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fella's

Besides the finish, what's the real difference between Gerbers Ultra and Ultra-M?

chiphead

stoven

Newly Enlightened
Personally, for light output I would go with the regular Ultra.

The Ultra M is beefed up version for the military. The M version has a lens(I think 2 actually) in front of the LED to help with sealing and it has double O-rings. Since the M has lenses it blocks a lot of the light output making it worse than the original Ultra.

Since the regular Ultra has an exposed 5mm LED there is no loss of light output.

chiphead

Flashlight Enthusiast
stoven said:
Personally, for light output I would go with the regular Ultra.

The Ultra M is beefed up version for the military. The M version has a lens(I think 2 actually) in front of the LED to help with sealing and it has double O-rings. Since the M has lenses it blocks a lot of the light output making it worse than the original Ultra.

Since the regular Ultra has an exposed 5mm LED there is no loss of light output.
Stoven!
I didn't know the M had lens! All well, that's $23 I can keep. Thanks for the feedback.

chiphead

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Also note that the LED in the M is recessed resulting in a narrower beam (as well as less output due to the recess) than the standard Ultra. I love my IUs.

stoven

Newly Enlightened
I'd recommend the Recon/Recon M over the Ultra M. The Recon is brighter than the Ultra M and it has the color dial.