What to do with a vintage broken KL4

Dadof6

Enlightened
I bought my first Surefire L4 some time ago and the head has the serial # of A00071, which to me means that it was the 71st one out of production. Well, the 5 watter just quit and although I know I can send it back to surefire and they will fix it free, will it still have my cool, low serial # on it when it comes back?

Dadof6

Enlightened
I know they will repair it free, but will it have the same serial # when it returns?

Topper

Flashaholic*
Good question, I think the policy is more of a repair OR replace. You should call CS and ask as you do not want a replacement if you like that number.

Topper :)

Sinjz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Asking them not to replace the whole thing doesn't always work. I sent in a KL1 before and asked them to repair and return the thing. I was told they would do that, but when they finally got around to it, they simply sent me a new one. :shrug: I called back to see if I could recover the old one, but they already tossed it. :( Maybe you'll have better luck, but if you REALLY like that serial #, you might consider getting one of the great modders here to have a look.

Last edited:

cy

Flashaholic
spoke to surefire customer service and you can request same unit back. but if others get new light. I'd mod it with a new five watt or cree first.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
If it matters that much to you then I'd have a modder replace it with a nice premium binned luxeonV. Then you know it'll be bright and have a nice tint.

If cost is an issue then send it back, ask nicely if you could get it back, but don't expect it.

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dadof6 said:
I bought my first Surefire L4 some time ago and the head has the serial # of A00071, which to me means that it was the 71st one out of production. Well, the 5 watter just quit and although I know I can send it back to surefire and they will fix it free, will it still have my cool, low serial # on it when it comes back?

PM sent, I may be able to help.

cy said:
...I'd mod it with a new five watt or cree first.

Cree with the KL4 reflector = bad beam (yes, tried it already). I'd stick with a Lux V from Photonfanatic.

glockboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Buy the Lux V WWOS and pm member "grnamin", he can swap the Lux for you. It's much brighter than the original KL4.