Why no moon mode with KL1?

socom1970

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does anyone know why there is no moon mode with the SF KL1's while using Li-Ions? My KL4 goes into moon mode just fine with a Pila 168s, but both my 1st gen. and 4th gen. KL1's just turn off. I don't understand why the difference...

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I haven't used Li-ion's but my KL1 head's all go into (moon mode) with cr123 batt's.
They stay in that mode for quite awhile.

Valpo Hawkeye

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not sure, but I sent my KL1 in to SureFire for this same reason and they "repaired" it. I have run it through a full cell yet, but I put a nearly spent cell in it and it was in moon mode. It took about a month to get my light back.

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
Could it be that the circuit that regulates the output drains the battery to the point that it trips the protection circuit?

-Goatee

socom1970

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, the Pilas are protected, but, like I said, something shuts down in the KL1+168s that does not shut down with the KL4+168s. I would think the KL4 would shut down the 168s instead of the KL1.

socom1970

Flashlight Enthusiast
Valpo Hawkeye said:
I'm not sure, but I sent my KL1 in to SureFire for this same reason and they "repaired" it. I have run it through a full cell yet, but I put a nearly spent cell in it and it was in moon mode. It took about a month to get my light back.

What did you tell them? As I understand it, using rechargeables voids the warranty, so I don't want to tell them my situation because they would put a note in my info that I use rechargeables. How did you go about it?

Valpo Hawkeye

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine actually failed running off primaries. I don't have any rechargables yet. The light would go completely dark, then come back on, then off again... A new cell would fix the problem, but as soon as the light would leave regulation it would do it again.

JanCPF

Enlightened
socom1970 said:
Yes, the Pilas are protected, but, like I said, something shuts down in the KL1+168s that does not shut down with the KL4+168s. I would think the KL4 would shut down the 168s instead of the KL1.
The KL4 needs a higher voltage to be running in regulation than the KL1. Therefor the KL4 will go out of regulation (moon mode) at say 3 volts which is not low enough to trip the protection circuit in the Li-Ion cell. The KL1 on the other hand stays in regulation all the way down below the voltage at which the cell protection kicks in, so you wont notice anything until complete darkness when the cell shuts down to protect itself.

Jan

socom1970

Flashlight Enthusiast
JanCPF said:
The KL4 needs a higher voltage to be running in regulation than the KL1. Therefor the KL4 will go out of regulation (moon mode) at say 3 volts which is not low enough to trip the protection circuit in the Li-Ion cell. The KL1 on the other hand stays in regulation all the way down below the voltage at which the cell protection kicks in, so you wont notice anything until complete darkness when the cell shuts down to protect itself.

Jan
Thank you, Jan, for the info. It was really annoying not knowing the reason for this problem.