Inova T5 vs PentagonLight L3 vs SF L4 (Now With Photos!)

wacbzz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok...definatly a newbie here, but I have done a bit of research. I am looking for some opinions on an Inova T5 vs PentagonLight L3 vs Surefire L4. I want/am looking for the brighter light with the better sidespill.

There doesn't seem to be much out there on the T5. If you read the Inova website, you of course get the generic propaganda..."100 lumens, blah, blah, blah..." so I don't really put much stock in it. Same goes for the PentagonLight site...
rolleye11.gif

I have the Inova XO3 which "supposedly" puts out 82 lumens. Now, all things being equal, this is more than the L3 (@ 75 lumens). Given this to be true, the T5 (@ 100 lumens) should blast the bejesus out of the L3. Would this be true?
sssh.gif

What I don't like about my XO3 are the dark rings around the corona - and there are many. I'm not sure if my light is f'ed up but that really sucks. Since it uses the same TIROS lens as the T5, will the T5 show this as well? That would make me want to purchase the L3.

However (or but [if you will]), I have been reading here about the construction/finish of the L3 being really sucky. Has this improved?

I've also thought about a SF L4 vs the PL L3 but I've seen the comparison photos of the lights and the PL blows the SF away (IMO anyway). But in buying a SF, I know (I own other SF's) that I would be getting a very good light. I'm not that sure with the PL...
Christo_pull_hair.gif

Also, it seems that the price is just about equal on all 3 lights. Wow...

As you can see, this is a tough first post. I have nothing in paticular in mind as far as use for the light - I just know I want it to be very bright and have a good spill.

Any opinions/rants/raves would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited:

iced_theater

Enlightened
Re: Inova T5 vs PentagonLight L3 vs SF L4

Well if you like throw, you can't go wrong with the Inova. I don't know about the Pentagon Light as I've never had one. The Surefire L4 is a pure flood light but should be a very bright one at that.

The rings you see in the Inova are meant to be there, I don't really know the purpose of the rings *more sidespill perhaps?*

If you want a throw light, you might look at the Surefire L6 or L5 as they are more of a throw beam.

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast

have you considered the T4? I dont have the L4 or L3; but can tell you the T4 IMHO was a better light for me than the T5. try to get a decent holster. it feels better and looks better. I love my maxpedia it's a superbly made holster or ripoffs (if you can find one, they recently closed up :awman: shop) I looked at the T5 vs the T4 for a while and realized the T5 was less expensive.

Now however the T4 is available for $85 from Brightguy.com

A outstanding carry option is the Inova T2 in a Maxpedia holster.
IT LOOKS and FEELS GREAT!!!

tazambo

Newly Enlightened

Go with the SF L4.
You will not be disappointed, I love mine.
It will light up a front or back yard, illuminate a whole room and blind some one who is about to be in your face.
And it's small.
Perfect for my job as a paramedic.
(getting a E1L and RCR123 to try it as a TW4, can't wait).

It won't throw way down a laneway, but I don't need it for that.
I'd suggest a U2 will do that (saving for one at the moment).

Regards
Dave

wacbzz

Flashlight Enthusiast

tsask said:
have you considered the T4? I dont have the L4 or L3; but can tell you the T4 IMHO was a better light for me than the T5.

The T4 is definatly out. I do not like rechargable lights. I have a SL Stinger XT that has, from the getgo, never produced a good light. Maybe it's the light itself, but that thing has soured my taste for the rechargables.:mad:

Here is my problem with the Inova TIROS lens:
IMG_0237.jpg

Is this what I'm gonna get with a T5?

I like the specs and photos of the SF L4 but in the comparison photos between the SF L4 and the PL L3, the L3 appeared much brighter (due to the lumen count?).

Hmmmm...

iced_theater

Enlightened

Yep, all TIROS lenses are like that. You seem to like throw more, so I'd say get a light that has a lot of throw to it. Do you have a price budget?

fnmag

Flashlight Enthusiast

As stated previously. Look into the SureFire L5 and L6. They both have very good throw.

Ledacholic Anonymous

Newly Enlightened

I have a T5 and the ring from the Tiros lense is unique and interesting. At the end of the day, it depends how you are looking at it - is it half full or half empty?

Appearantly, the Tiros lenses is there to improve the through.

socom1970

Flashlight Enthusiast

I LOVE my L4 very much!!! It still remains one of my favourite EDC lights. It is so d@mn bright and puts out a WALL of light that lights up my whole backyard. It is awesome for close to moderate distance use. And it is so small, I can fit it just about anywhere(even more so with the KL4 on a E1e body with RCR123). I don't know much about PL or Inova other than I have a new X1 that I like quite a bit, but SF has a lifetime warranty and their lights are the best quality production lights I know of, bar none. I would recommend an L5 if you want more throw than the L4 puts out. Either one rates 5 stars in my book.

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast

I bought a t4 and gave it away. Then I bought a t5 and destroyed it trying to take the trios optic out...That being said I think I can add the following...
The t5 is a verry tough light. It is brighter (10-15%) than the t4 and can use 123batts or 2AW 1700's.

It does not have great sidespill. You either like trios or not. That being said...I kind of miss mine and am considering buying another one...I do not know why...just a solid light with great runtime...3hrs plus. Maybe I can strap a MMag led3AA to it in candle mode and have the best of both worlds....Or you could buy a L6 if $278 for a led does not scare you off.

Mark2

Enlightened

Of these 3 lights, the L3 puts out the most light, then comes the L4 followed by the T5. I think you would like the L3 best because it offers decent throw AND lots of side spill. The T5 has almost no side spill, and the L4 has poor throw.

Danbo

Enlightened

I ordered a T5 the other day, and I can't wait for it to get here. It will be my main truck light. I really love my Inovas. So much so, that I've sold/traded off a few of my Surefires. For my uses, the Inovas seem to cover my needs at a fraction of the cost. Will I ever get rid of my Surefire M6 or my L4? Heck no! But then, those are exceptional lights, with special uses. :)

pilou

Enlightened

The rings are there only if light up a bare wall at close range. In real life use, there will be barely visible, if at all, and youwon't notice them anyway.

wacbzz

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks for all of the great opinions and such. I want to answer a few items though...

pilou said:
The rings are there only if light up a bare wall at close range. In real life use, there will be barely visible, if at all, and youwon't notice them anyway.

Unfortunately, this is just not true. I have taken the XO3 both camping and on night walks and the dark rings are still very visible, especially on things like shrubby/bushes and the ground. It does, however, light up a long distance. It's just getting past those damned rings...:banghead:

iced_theater said:
Do you have a price budget?

My max is about $175 total (including any taxes/shipping/misc BS) and all 3 of these lights fit the bill. I can go tomorrow to a local sporting goods store and buy the L4 for $165. This, however, makes me not want to do that:
L3-L4-beam.jpg

*Thanks Mark - image from photonforums.com

It's kinda funny...nobody that ownes a PL L3 (except maybe Mark2 ??)has piped in on this thread. I was really hoping someone that had one would offer their views:anyone:

I'll probably end up going with the SF L4 simply because I know the light will be of great quality, but the PL does interest me greatly...

BR37

Newly Enlightened

I was the not so proud owner of an Inova T4. What a fragile piece of junk. Not only was the beam useless for close quarters work, it is a small pinpoint beam with little or no side spill. At least that is what my eyes saw. I have never had a high end light fail me as the T4 did. I put it on a living room chair and it rolled off and landed on the thick carpeting. I was taking out my two dogs for a night walk. I tested the light as I always do before I go out and to my surprise, it was dead. I could not believe it! It is advertised as a tactical light. It certainly did not live up to the claims of the manufacturer. I shook it a little, still dead. I whacked it against my palm and it flickered for a second, then nothing. That was it. I was really angry. I realize Inova will not make refunds, only make repairs or replacments. I did not want another T4 so I just decided the heck with it. I took it apart. First of all the glass lense is very thin glass that is easily broken. It shatters into very small and sharp shards of glass. One must be careful not to cut oneself if this happens. I noticed that the body is thick aluminum which would make the light durable.Except the inner workings are quite fragile. At least mine was. After this experience, I would not buy another Inova product. I do have a Inova 24-7 which still works fine. I'm waiting for that one to fail! LOL. I'm sure there are some people out there who are satisfied with their T4, but I was not one of them.

TacticalGrilling

Newly Enlightened

I'm one of the satisfied T4 customers. Mine has been part of my EDC for over a year and has never failed me. I like the LiON batt, the tiros has a great throw, and durability hasn't been an issue despite lotsa bumps and bruises, like falling onto the pavement while changing a tire last week! Also have T3 and T5, but always go back tot the T4.

Be Safe, Grill Tactical.

-Nick
TacticalGrilling.com

iced_theater

Enlightened

I suggest buying an L5 from either tacticalsupply or else opticshq as they have the best discounts I know of. You seem to want throw, so keep away from the L4 as it's a flood light while the L5 and L6 are throw lights.

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast

Don't believe lumens numbers! First hand accounts are best. In the beamshots of the L3 Vs. L4, it looks like the L3 is killing the L4, but I bet they're putting out about the same amount of light. I know it's hard to believe that if you've only seen those beamshots, but those comparative shots look the same as the ones on the TnC website comparing the Hyperlux V and the L4. I've got both the Hyperlux V and an L4, and they really do put out about the same amount of light, overall, but they've got a completely different beam profile. (floody Vs. throwy)

Mark2

Enlightened

I'd like to second Trashman's comment, the beamshot is kind of misleading as I also pointed out in the review on PhotonForums from where the picture was taken. I just did a quick ceiling bounce test with the SF L4 and the PL L3, and the L3 is actually putting out more light, but it's not much. But of course the L3 does throw much better.