Water resistant/proof cases with knobs???

Daniel Abranko

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone have any experience with designing or just know the inner workings of military style equipment cases with water proof knobs and dials that still operate correctly? I'm trying to design a case for a radio I own and I'm having an impossible time finding any info on knobs and dials.

-Daniel

Daniel Abranko

Newly Enlightened
I'm designing a splash resistant case/racking system for my icom 706 mobile amateur radio, and I'm wondering about making proper knob placements for 5, 1/4" knobs which will be wired into place doing duty as volume, main tuning dial, sub-dial and IF control. there will also be 13 buttons, but those are easy to splash proof.

As for the connectors, I'll have 2 watertight N connectors with their push-on counterparts as rf connections, and I've settled on a centronics 50 tab connector as a rack-compatible interface connector for all data, key, and other connectors.

-Daniel

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
20 years ago my employer made differential pressure sensing transmitters that were used in very humid parts of the oil patch.

The solution to preserving the electronics while allowing a couple of pots to be trimmed was to couple the control knob with summariam (sp?) cobalt magnets in cylindical depressions on each side of the hermetically sealed stainless steel housing. Maybe that tehnology has advanced.