longest running C cell light

HiKing808

Newly Enlightened
ok i am looking for the longest "productive" running light that uses either C, D, AA, AAA, or 123 cell batteries. by productive i mean actual useable light, not a small locator glow like the Pak survivle that last for 2 yrs running.

also i would appreciate info that has been confirmed by members of the forum, not advertised numbers that can sometimes be embellished and don't include fine print i.e. 2 yr runtime "locator glow"

i just need enought light to walk around and function, reading would be nice, but im not searching for anyone or doing nano surgery, so basic light like a photon or something

thanks guys

carrot

Flashaholic
How about the Lightwave series of lights? Or perhaps a MagLED 4D? NewBie estimated that the MagLED lights should run for a pretty long time, albeit much dimmer than the initial high output...

http://www.longlight.com/en/home/index.php
They're discontinued but you should still be able to track down the models you're interested in...

Last edited:

paulr

Flashaholic
I suggest the Tektite Expedition 300 link. A little bit old-fashioned these days, but runs on 3C's and is dive rated and practically bomb-proof.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
1AAA
Fenix E1
Fenix L0P-SE
Nuwai TM-310H

2AAA
River Rock 2AAA

1AA
Civictor V1

2AA/2C/2D
MagLED 2AA/2C/2D
The MagLED has the longest runtime but it's kinda BIG.

Nubo

Enlightened
Eternalite Elite Max, will go a very long time on 3AA, on the lowest settings. The Mfr claims something like 1000 or 1200 hours, and I can believe it. I had surgery in June and used it as an all-night nightlight for about a week, and also very frequently since then have had it on for hours at a time. On top of that I've used various higher power settings for different tasks. The self-test is still showing 2 out of 4 lamps battery meter. With all the different intensity levels you will definitely not have to worry about whether or not you can get a functional amount of light. If the lowest low setting isn't enough, just bump it up a notch.

Note - for longest run-time on low settings, alkalines are best for this light. If you run more at the higher settings then lithiums are better.

Raven

Enlightened
Put this in a c cell mag-lite, and you won't ever worry about run time again.

HiKing808

Newly Enlightened
well see i was thinking about the lightwave series, rated at 700hrs for the c cell and 900 for the D cells, but i have been reading some suspicious things about them.

they are "old" technology (don't know what "old" means, but these lights have been out for a while), the D runs 11 days to less than 5% of original brightness (advertised, it's suposed to run over a month, the original tester did not finish the test, he had to return the light) thats only 30% of advertised runtime i don't know how much longer it can realistically produce usable light.

not to mention that i really don't want any D cells and would like to get the one that uses C cells, but the run time on that obviously be shorter. one thing to note is that the test was done in 2002 so i hope the newer versions are a little better. basically i was hoping some one on here has done a recent runtime test with the lightwave series.

i am looking for a light to put in an emergency kit. i know some of you might be saying that 700 hrs is excessive, but in reading about katrina victims and how long they were without power, you never really know, also i live on an island so i really have no way of driving to someplace with power should the whole island go down.

thanks for the replys though. i've been looking at all the recomended lights and only ones that come close are the lumaray and externalight, but does anyone know of real time test. i would believe you guys more than the manufacture.

Paladin

Enlightened
A Streamlight 3C Twin-task resides in my BOB, along with a 2L3W.

The 3C with 3 leds on is adeguate for finding ones way, the 6 led mode enough for most basic tasks/reading, and the xenon throws nicely past 25 yards. On 3 leds SL says runtime is "up to 160 hrs".

A "nighteyez"(sp?) in a 2C Maglite will run even longer, although the light output is very minimal even with fresh cells. I keep one installed in a Fulton MX-991/U 2D angle head flashlight for power outage use.

Paladin

thunderlight

Enlightened
Some additional thoughts:

For 1AAA, the new Gerber Sonic with recessed LED might be a possibility [I really like this model]. Lots of 1AAA 5mm alternatives, but this one hits the sweet spot for value in my opinion.

I like the PalLite Safelite Companion [Lantern Like Model], but you may find that this has the same issues as the PakLite.

For 2C, the [I think] underappreciated Inova Radiant.

Overlooked is the Sears Craftsman Metal 5 5mm Led model that takes 4AA. This will last a long time, especially in turtle light mode, although probably not up to the advertised 130 hours or so. I do have experience with this light lasting a long time on a set of batteries. [Can't give you a number however]. OTOH, it is bulky.

paulr

Flashaholic
Really, this is not so complicated. See the disaster threads for example. Don't concern yourself about having months worth of flashlight power unless you've also got months worth of food and water. Flashlights will be the last thing on your mind once your water runs out.

LED flashlights are still useful when they're running at 5% brightness. They're not like incandescents, whose beam gets yellow, then orange, then infrared and useless, as the batteries drain. The light stays the same color and the eye adjusts.

Remember also that up in the sky there is the mother of all flashlights, called the sun. It is true that it's only on in the daytime and they shut it off at night. But before regular flashlights were invented people used to plan their activity around the availability of sunlight and generally got by ok. Flashlights are needed to walk around or fix something in the dark but over a prolonged period, a few minutes a day is likely to be enough. See Sub_Umbra's numerous posts about his adventures post-Katrina where his power was out for five weeks AND he was keeping his home under blackout conditions to avoid detection (i.e. more dependence on flashlights than usual). He still used just a few batteries total.

I think in your situation I'd try to run everything on AA cells and not C's. They're the most common battery in the world, easy to scrounge, and efficient rechargeables are ubiquitous. The multi-light setup I'd suggest is: 1) Gerber Infinity Ultra as general purpose EDC. This is a 1AA pocket light that should run 20+ hours on a cell. 2) Some small AA-powered LED headlamp. 3) A more powerful AA light like a Fenix or PT Tec40 or Surge. 4) A few packs of AA NiMH cells and an Energizer 15 minute charger with a 12 volt power cord so you can recharge from your car during the power outage. 5) A few dozen AA alkaline cells (maybe a 40-pack from Costco) in the fridge as backup. 6) A cheap SLA powered spotlight (recharge in car) for when you need something really powerful. 7) A few 10-packs of coin cell keychain lights so you always have one with you and you have some to give away.

The Fenix L1T might be a good alternative to the Gerber but I haven't tried one yet.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
This sounds like a case where that Nite Ize drop in LED in a 2D body might come in handy. Not super bright, but definitely usable light with a long run time.

HiKing808 said:
ok i am looking for the longest "productive" running light that uses either C, D, AA, AAA, or 123 cell batteries. by productive i mean actual useable light,

speederino

Enlightened
Amongst the variety of items in my disaster kit, I have a couple of long-running D-cell lights, but more importantly, a few packs of these:
http://www.greenbatteries.com/battery-adapter.html

No matter what kinds of batteries I encounter, I'll be able to use them.
Oh, there's a 9v pak-lite in there too, just in case. All the task lights are 1AA Gerber IU's.

+1 on the NiteIze PR-base LED drop in in a 2D body. That setup will run just about forever.
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/niteize_magbulb.htm
Quickbeams stopped the test after 24 hours; light output didn't drop much in that time.

+1 for the Gerber Infinity Ultra. Mine works great for wandering around the house in the dark. I use it often and have not run down the first battery yet. Also, I've installed a four die WahWang led (not surgery) into a MiniMag and have used it for a night light for about three weeks! Perhaps 8 hours per night and it is still very usable!

joema

Flashlight Enthusiast
HiKing808 said:
ok i am looking for the longest "productive" running light that uses...123 cell batteries. by productive i mean actual useable light, not a small locator glow like the Pak survivle that last for 2 yrs running...just need enought light to walk around and function, reading would be nice...
The HDS U42 and B42 will run for over 300 hours at the 0.3 lumen setting, which is plenty of light to read by.

At the lowest setting of 0.08 lumens, it will run continuously for over 1,000 hours, and that's still enough light to navigate with dark adapted eyes.

The U60XR is more efficient and will run even longer.

There were some 18650 battery tubes made for the HDS lights. In theory, a single 18650-powered U60XR could run for over 4,000 hours at 0.08 lumens.

If you want a super-long-running light, the HDS lights are hard to beat. I don't know of any single-cell CR123A light with a longer running time. Plus they are regular utility lights, not specifically designed fringe "survival" lights. The long running time is simply a side benefit of the wide range of output control.

Edit/add: output is also fully regulated at those levels, unlike some other dim, long-running LED lights that use simple direct drive.

Last edited:

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I am a lousy, rotten, stinking, useless excuse for a human... but that hasn't anything to do with this subject...

I have a few of the mentioned lights. I have the 4AA and 3C Pro Poly Streamlights in 5MM and LUX catagories. The 5MM lights are aside as emergency stuff.

I have M*gleds in 2, 3 and 4 cell variations. I keep them handy as user lights, but know that some 28 hours can be had from 2D batteries.

I have a NiteIze module in a 4D M*g. It is centrally located in the kitchen, but is pretty much exclusively for emergency. It should never need batteries with the kind of use a week long power out would need.... perhaps even two weeks could be covered.

I have 7 different "old" SMJLED PRs in seven different configerations, that are QUITE usefull and are known to have great runtime (unlike the "new" SMJLEDs...)

As to my initial comment... I feel very much like I'm caught between a rock and a hardplace. I can't seem to do ANYTHING right if you would listen to most of those close to me. I get VERY easily put out. And it rubs my Sister the WAY wrong way. And I don't know how to stop. It can be mostly traced to being :broke: most of the time. And this isn't the very best time of year for our business....

:sigh: