David 19 lion reghargeable

Jumi

Enlightened
I bought this today from local store.

It is little bigger than regular david19
Lenght 105/117mm and also head is little thicker(25mm)

This is from manufactures site, sorry nothing in english yet

http://www.zweibrueder.de/produkte/stabundtaschenlampen/ledlenserdavid/david19rechargeable.html

And this is Finnish site http://www.leatherman.fi/web/index.php?id=336

I paid 65$ for it, it's little pricey but 3D Led M@g is 73$ locally and I want to buy something in local stores also.

It came in gift box with charger and charging cradle and nylon pouch.

Lion cell is 14500 700mAh, don't know yet does it have protection or not. To charge the light you put light on and chargers plug in hole side of the light. red led on other side glows. Charger is 5V 200mAh so i quess charging time is around 4hours, nothing in manual. When the cell is full light turns green.

I haven't charged mine yet but my friend at office had to get one for himself and he charged his. Mine is still on on for after an hour and is now dimmer than in beginning.

I don't have any really bright led lights but this is now my brightest one, against:

Kl1 with one primary is much dimmer
Bog 3w with 2 primarys is dimmer, but with nice sidespill.

Oh and this light is FOCUSABLE and it really works
In narrow focus it's like Kl1 but in widest it has donut hole in the center like some 5watters.
But very useful in the middle, but not much sidespill.

Now it's starting to get dim so I better stop writing and go home and put it in charger.

Juha

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have some kind of love-hate (or better hate-love) connection to Zweibrueder lights.
Would like them...

* if they were NOT so expensive,
* would not use this damn Optic with a hole in the center (where debrids clog like if it were a magnet. Why in Hell not using a better model, or putting a lens in front?)
* and had a better HA finish.

You are unlucky not to have bought a Fenix instead. Would have been € 30,-- less than You have payed (www.lighthound.com).
Usually I tend to follow Your idea of supporting local stores, but not when the article is worse than the one I like, or the price offered is too much.
(f.e. I ordered my 1st Fenix from lighthound, because I only had an offer for € 67,--. With all s/h costs from the US I got it for € 43,--)

PS: alle the Davids have NO 2-stage output and thus are worthless. Being able to dim the light without loosing the color, is the main advantage of the white LED. Any more expensive light not featuring such, is a waste of money.
Sorry to be this blunt

Last edited:

naturelle

Newly Enlightened
yellow said:
* would not use this damn Optic with a hole in the center (where debrids clog like if it were a magnet. Why in Hell not using a better model, or putting a lens in front?)

The actual delivered models from 2006 do no longer have this hole in the center.

PS: alle the Davids have NO 2-stage output and thus are worthless. Being able to dim the light without loosing the color, is the main advantage of the white LED. Any more expensive light not featuring such, is a waste of money.
You're right, but there are much more lights on the market which do not have a 2-stage output. And the DAVIDs are the only "mid-price"-lights with focusable head.

Dirk

Last edited:

pirinst

Newly Enlightened
Cool Jumi. I have the David 15 which I pocket carry and use every day at work reading manifest bills inside trailers at night. Have a backup 1-cr123 led lensor which I'll use if and when the David 15 breaks or gets lost.

Also have the 3 AAA led lenser as a car carry for close up light.

I notice a lot of internet people really like the higher cost led lights and there isn't a lot of interest in the coast brand. (The incan section is also a big fan of higher
end lights as well for some reason) Myself-biggest bang for the buck that meets the
job.

With that said, why a rechargeable David led lensor? They hardly use any batteries as it is. Maybe the focus feature? Anyhoo, glad to see someone else that likes
the coast led lensor series.

I prefer the luxeon models btw. Anxiously waiting to see what/who comes out with the
Cree XR E production models....

Jumi

Enlightened
Hi all

When I got home yesterday the light was very dim and I measured the voltage of the cell, only 2.8v so it looks like the light is DD. Put it in the charger, when charged the voltage was 4.1v. I measured the current draw without tailcap: 1.2A! and tailcap in the circuit 1.0A. After maby 10 minutes the current draw was settled to 700mA.

This reghargeable version of David 19 is many times brighter than regular version.

I tried with both my kL1 with 1 primary on and David was still brighter than these two together.

Then I tried XM-2 bored to 18650 and with TV1J in DD which draws aroud 1.2A and my new toy beat that too.

Quality issues: The light is only splashproof, the finish wear fast if carried with keys, no protection for optic.

What I like: this thing is Bright, focus is usefulln no need to get cell out for regharge.

Juha

Concept

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Jumi

I have a David 15 (first decent LED). I still like it and use it at work along with a P1 and now a LOP SE. It is my only light with an optic so I like the having a different beam and I am waiting to see if maybe I can mod it when the cree LED's become a bit more mainstream.

clifton4th

Newly Enlightened
Hi,
I was thinking about buying a David 19 Rechargeable, but now I read this so I'm not sure any more. This is my story:
I used to have a Led Lenser Microfire, which is a small 1,25W rechargeable torch, but unfortunately I lost it. I still have the charger and 2 rechargeable batteries. I have never seen such a powerful lamp this small and really loved it. Well, I had quality issues, after a while the lamp had to be hit softly against a hard surface to be bright, otherwise it was just very dim. Also the paint wore off. So they sent me another one with which I was very happy.
I used to live in Germany where the Led-Lenser brand is very strong and (nearly) everybody would call them the best torches available, so I don't really know any alternatives. I've spent the whole evening on flashlights though I only got really confused.
I sent Zweibrueder (the makers of Led Lenser) an email asking whether I could use my old batteries in a David 19 R., as well as how high the Lumen output is, but after two weeks they still haven't replied. This lamp costs around 59E including shipping, I don't want to spend much more, but if there's no other way, I will have to.

I want an LED torch which I can put into my pocket (less than 15cm, preferably smaller than 10cm), which doesn't break easily, which is rechargeable (lithium please, I go hiking and sleep outside when it's -20 degree Celsius, so Ni battteries won't do) or can be used with standard rechargeable lithium ion batteries properly . I want at least 30 L output, but I don't necessarily need more than 50 Lumens. More than one output level would be great, I used to carry another torch with me just for dimm light. I really like it focusable, otherwise I would like a very long throw. Battery life should be more than one hour with rechargeables (I'll still have to buy some spare batteries). I would really, really enjoy if the brightness stayed consistently high up till the battery was flat.
I know that I demand quite a lot. If there isn't any torch like this, do you think one will come out during the next couple of years? LED technology seems to develop rapidly.
Thanks in advance.
Clifton4th

Concept

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am hoping for a Fenix P1 SE to come out before Xmas (3 stage version of the P1). If you have a look at Fenix-store run by 4sevens he has the standard P1 which you could check out. LuxIII (T bin), regulated, runs on CR and RCR123 Li-ion, AR lens, HAIII anodised and about $45 USD delivered anywhere.

Fingers crossed for the P1 SE!

Oh and welcome clifton4th and naturelle

Jumi

Enlightened
clifton4th
If you liked Microfire you'll also like David19 R
David has LuxIII Microfire has LuxI. You can use your old 14500 li-ions and charger with it.

Lumen output is >55lumens (based on eye test: 2xKl1< David19 R) so 2-stage switch would be nice.

Durability: I dropped it accidentally 2 times on concrete floor, once on becel and once on tailcap. I like that it has springs at both ends so no damage to cell.

Juha

Last edited:

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
clifton4th said:
or can be used with standard rechargeable lithium ion batteries properly .
based on Your findings, the

Fenix L1T is Your light, if "standard Li-Ion batt" means AA-size (= 14500), else stay with concept´s choice
Fenix P1 for CR123 Li-Ions

chesterqw

Flashlight Enthusiast
if having no multi level output means the light sucks, more then 70% i would say SUCK!!!!

you get what i mean?

white led has more advantage then no colour shift when dimmed.
go read up on them k?

clifton4th

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for your help.
Some more questions:
Which bin is the best, I couldn't find any information, if you could just post a link?
I don't know what 14500 li-ions are, are they the ones used in the microfire?
I don't have a charger and li-ions except the ones for the microfire, which I believe uses special ones (at least when i googled for it, I only got a couple of Chinese websites and no shops in Europe to buy them), so I guess a Fenix + a charger + batteries would be more expensive than just a David R. for 50E.
So can I put AA sized lithium rechargeable batteries in the L1T, don't they have around 3V and normal AAs have 1,5?
Thank you
Clifton4th