Fenix P1 gives off yellowish tint?

Tim_K

Newly Enlightened
Hi all,

Thanks to the people at Fenix-store, My natural finish P1 today and wow, what a little rocket!! I love it. It beats my Nuwai QIII in terms of intensity and the brightness and tightness of the hotspot. And of course, who can ignore... eh.... correction, we all can ignore the small size :)

However, I did notice the tint is a bit yellowish and this is especially noticable in the spill area. Is this tint normal?

I would like to put up some pics comparing the QIII with the P1 but I don't know how to post pictures so I don't have anything to show how yellow the tint is but let's just say it's very noticable.

Tim

Tim_K

Newly Enlightened
well, I found an image hosting site and so here's the link for my picture comparison. Nuwai QIII on the left and Fenix P1 on the right. Both 1 foot away from a white background, both using fresh Surefire lithium battery. As I said, the yellow tint is very noticable.

http://img416.imageshack.us/img416/4930/img0072ni5.jpg

Is this common?

Tim

WildChild

Flashlight Enthusiast
We call this Luxeon Lottery! From batches to batches, the tint of Luxeon LEDs may vary, some are white, some blueish, some greenish, yellowish, etc. My father bought a L1P and it has a well pronounced yellowish tint but not as yellow as the 2D Maglite I modded with a TV1J Luxeon 3 (V1 tint is yellowish-greenish). My first L0P was also a bit greenish. And finally, my L2P and L2T are really white (L2T whiter than L2P which is a bit yellowish). So, it's just a matter of luck. What I can say is that even if white or blueish tints looks better on a white wall, yellowish and greenish tints will be a lot better for color rendition. This is even more true when you are outside shining the light at trees. I would say there is nothing wrong with your light! ;) I hope you enjoy it!

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello Tim,

I just checked my P1 against my KL1, Peak Rainier, ARC LSL and my Civictor.
The P1 is more yellow ( as in less white ) than the Peak,KL1 and LSL but not as yellow as the Civictor. It still seems very white when used on its own, without direct comparison. I hope this helps.

Lovely little light, though.

Be lucky...

PS - slightly less white than my MAGLED 2AA as well (I found it in the bottom of my bag. However it is much more white than my ARC LS Cyan !! ) :grin2:

Pumaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I sold my p1 because it was too cold. IMHO warm tint is good.

NutSAK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm with Pumaman here, but good tint is all a matter of opinion.

I like a "white" tint (which usually has a slightly blue tinge) or "bluish" for indoors, "yellow" tint for outdoors where color rendition matters. I have a yellowish L2P that many people would cringe at, but it's my favorite outdoor light.

I don't have a P1, but out of my two L2Ps and two L2Ts, only two of them are even close to each other in tint. It's the Luxeon lottery at work. I just choose which light I'm going to use by the activity it is to perform.

bitslammer

Enlightened
My P1 is stark white, my L0Pse is ever so slightly violet,and my L2P is maybe a tiny bit green, but all of these are only noticable to me in a pitch black room on white ceiling. When being used in real life I don't ever notice.

I'd actually like to see one with a yellow/orange tint. Hollywood has always been fond of the dawn/dusk color effect becasue it can create the illusion of a deeper more vibrant landscape with those warmer colors from the sun at those times.

Last edited:

dchao

Enlightened
Yes, you are very lucky to have the V1 binned LED. You never know, you might even have a very rare V0 tint in your P1.

Last edited:

Martini

Enlightened
If it's slightly yellow with no green, then IMHO you have the best tint for general use. Color rendition is more like incandescent.

light_emitting_dude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have had some barely noticable tint in some of my flahslights. Hey as long as it illuminates it works for me! Only we (flashaholics) can notice it right. I have asked others and they don't know what I'm talking about.

Lite_me

Flashlight Enthusiast
Martini said:
If it's slightly yellow with no green, then IMHO you have the best tint for general use. Color rendition is more like incandescent.
Agreed! I've often thought the same thing. That is probably why I seem to prefer my creamy Civictor to just about anything else I have, save a few. One, by chance, happens to be my P1 Natural. It's my lottery winner!

lexina

Enlightened
The P1 that i have is noticeably warmer than my friend's P1. Interestingly, his was a returned light because the first owner found it too white and wanted something warmer. A white beam seems brighter but a warm beam brings out the colours better so ultimately, it's a matter of preference.

windstrings

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wonder if it has to do with what battery your run... primary 3.0 volt verses rechargable 3.6 volt?

Both of mine are pure white.

But if you look at a pure while light next to a bluer one, it could play some tricks on your eyes.