Users of Kazaa please follow this link and read.

Tree

Flashlight Enthusiast
Users of Kazaa please follow this link and read.
http://news.com.com/2100-1023-873181.html

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>A California company has quietly attached its software to millions of downloads of the popular Kazaa file-trading program and plans to remotely "turn on" people's PCs, welding them into a new network of its own. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Better safe than sorry.

lightlover

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Tree,
a timely warning of this dubious practice.

If anyone is feeling generous, there are a number of charities with a "distributed computing" concept.
Same kind of thing, except that you download a screensaver or "work in background" program, and send your results in every now and then.

SETI is one, and Cambridge University has a similar concept, except that you're testing drugs via computer models.

lightlover

Brock

Flashaholic
I've got seti running on my three computers. I like the "seti driver" so it can cache the units when the seti server is down or busy. And I am not wasting my CPU while surfing CPF
smile.gif

JollyRoger

Enlightened
Google is coming up with one as well.

About the Kazaa thing. I am pretty sure the company will notify you and *ask* you for permission when they "turn on" this mechanism. If you don't want your computer part of it, it won't happen.

Spork

Enlightened
I use zone alarm. you wouldn't believe all the programs that try to access the internet or act as a server without you knowing. that and a pop up stopper is all I let run on my pc 24/7

PhilAlex

Enlightened
I use WinMX to download those snazzy educational movies...

No Spyware.

Something else I learned that was neat was go to your RUN menu in START (Win95/8) and type MSCONFIG

Go to startup and see what's been installed! Incredible!