Photos of my 2 new EDC kits (wilderness & city versions)

coyote

Flashlight Enthusiast
[edit: you can view the Wilderness kit here in post #1. the City kit can be seen below in post #25]

i carry my Ion and other items whenever i leave the house.
i finally got around to making a pouch for them all.
it fits perfectly in the front pocket of my Levi's.
i thought you'd enjoy seeing the result.

here are the pixs i just took of it:

UltimateMiniEDCKItwebsized.jpg

Last edited:

Paladin

Enlightened
Re: Photos of my new EDC kit

Great idea, and nice work.

I need something similar to allow a pocket knife, lighter, and Inova X1 to coexist without tearing each other up. Your picture has inspired me. I already use an old rifle ammo bandolier to stow an assortment of emergency niceties in a compact roll-up fashion. THX.
Paladin

adnj

Enlightened

Sweet! I was just thinking about doing something like that.

wholeflaffer

Enlightened

An inspiring creation! Great job!

I'm already thinking about what I'd require. Personally speaking, I think I'd go with the Swiss Army Knife and Leatherman Squirt, but diverge a bit with a AAA-based light (Peak, ARC-AAA or L0P/L0P-SE?), spare battery, and a flint/magnesium stick for a real emergency spark (and to keep the smokers from asking for a light!).

Just curious, do you carry the lighter out of "habit", or just in case it's needed?

bigfoot

Enlightened

That is pretty slick!

:rock:

How did you make it?

AardvarkSagus

Flashlight Enthusiast

Cool, once I get an EDC I need to do something like that myself for my USB thumb drive (encased in a zippo lighter) and flashlight to allow them to get along without damage. Nice idea. My Kershaw Blur is clipped to the other pocket so that isn't an issue.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *

Absolutely a sweet kit!! Thanks for sharing, now I just need to find some soft leather - wonder where the wife placed her gloves! :ohgeez: :D

greenLED

Flashaholic

Very nice!

Do you roll it up, or it sits flat like that inside your pocket?

bitslammer

Enlightened

Hmmm. I'm curious. I have the leatherman Micra which appears to be a little bigger when closed than your squirt. I'm guessing you have the squirt P4 for the pliers and the MiniChamp for the scissors? Pliers, scissors, and occasional screwdriver seem to be the most used for me.

I'm wondering if there's a small multi tool that has the same things as both of yours. Now I'm gonna be buying one of those if I can find it.

Light - small multi tool - fire source... that would really rock in such a small pack.

Eugene

Flashlight Enthusiast

So how did you make that? I've been wanting something to hold three Leatherman Squirt's

Gone Jeepin

Enlightened

Nice job with the edc kit holder. I like your selection of items. I carry some of the same things - MiniChamp, mini Bic, LM Squirt P4... I use an ARC AAA-P V4 as the light. It is suprising how much you can do with just those 4 little items.

TCW 60

Newly Enlightened

Fine selfmade kit coyote.
This is mine(not selfmade)
48d4uj9.jpg

Michael

Omega Man

Flashlight Enthusiast

That's great coyote. Also curious if you roll it up in your pocket? I'm a belt-carry guy, and that would be nice on a hip, not too encumbering.

coyote

Flashlight Enthusiast

thnx you everyone for all the nice compliments!
to answer your queries-

wholeflaffer: "do you carry the lighter out of "habit", or just in case it's needed?"
i'm a non-smoker. i live in the mountains and having the ability to make fire is a must. i considered carrying a mag bar but so far have been lucky having these mini bics work when i ask them too. they work one-handed and quickly, and i generally have a spare stashed somewhere nearby in my kits, vehicles, saddlebags, etc. (in fact i do carry a mag bar in my survival pack, along with eight other methods to start a fire)... reguarding your spare battery comment: like most CPFers, i usually have another LED light (or 2 or 3 or....) on me. plus, with a low-beam runtime of 140 hours, the Ion itself is probably enough.

bitslammer: "squirt P4 for the pliers and the MiniChamp for the scissors?"
correct. and having both allows me, for example, to hold something with the pliers while using the SAK to screw or cut. i also found the the quality and feel of the tools in each unit were slightly different (sizes of the screwdrivers, etc). and there is no ballpoint pen, tweasers or tiny-tiny true-phillips screwdriver in the P4 (and i prefer the blade quality in the SAK). generally, i use the sak for "fine" work and the P4 for ranch-work.

xracer: "Stitching leather can be tough, how did you stitch it ?"
i stitched it on my 1950's singer featherweight sewing machine. first i folded the glove-thickness leather and stitched one side, placed a tool in that corner, marked it and stitched it. with that tool in place, i marked the leather again with the next tool in it, on and on. as you can see, my stitching has a lot to be desired. i just couldn't get the thread tension correct.

greenled: "Do you roll it up, or it sits flat like that inside your pocket?"
it lays flat with a slight curve to mate the curve of my thigh. this occurs cause it can flex at each of the seams i stitched. i once tried making something like this with hard non-flexing leather and found that it wasn't anywhere near as comfortable to carry and that it left a much too obvious bulge when observed by others.

Arc AAA-P vs Ion: i too edc a modified Lux 1 arc AAA. the reason it wasn't included in this kit was it's length. all four tools are approximately 2 1/4" long. the Arc AAA is 2 3/4" long so it went into yet another pouch that holds 2 3/4" long tools (the Arc, a William Henry T9-CF folder and two Seecamp magazines). this one's my "City" kit. you want a photo of it?

Last edited: