EDC Pocketlights: does finish = durability?

wholeflaffer

Enlightened
I am still pocketing an ARC-AAA on my keychain, even though I have had a L0P-SE since it first shipped. Why? Even though I love the size and versatility of the L0P-SE, it's because of the ARC's finish. As much as I enjoy seeing a flashlight being used, including a well-worn and dinged-up body, I can't help but appreciate a well-worn flashlight whose finish is practically the same as brand-new.

I guess this might be in part due to my limited experience with "alternative metals".

I guess I have a question and a query:

-The question is, what is the harm in a decently-built flashlight suffering from surface damage to its anodizing/finish?

-And the query is, who else besides me is influenced by finish durability, and why?

greenLED

Flashaholic
regardless of finish, sooner or later it'll "damage" in a keychain - I don't really mind those character marks.

Manzerick

Flashlight Enthusiast
my ARC-P is much more worn that my girlfriends of the same age.

I wouldn't trade it due ot the "Real life" marks it has :)

although I gave her the arc before i could test it (her's is MUCH brighter)

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
My answer to the question: None. Wear only affects use of the light when the damage is so severe as to actually weaken the body of the light.

My answer to the query: I'm influenced by finish durability; just because a light isn't a shelf queen is no excuse for it to look like a key peasant. A durable finish isn't absolutely necessary, but it's a nice touch.

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
I could never understand all the fuss people make about the finish of a light! Sure it's nice to have things look new for a long time, but the scars give it character. I must say though, I don't key-chain carry mine, but do carry lights in my pockets. Even lights normally "too big" for pocket carry go into mine. UK 4AA eLed or even SL ProPoly 4AA.

As long as the light functions well and is well engineered, I don't really care what it looks like.

I don't think the beat-up finish has any effect on functional durability. If it got so worn that the case was weakened, I think you would have other things to worry about.

Last edited:

chesterqw

Flashlight Enthusiast
arc's finish is good... way better then fenix.

well, arc had the military backing them then...so maybe they had access to better technology then fenix which resides in china.

IMO, fenix's HA may be of a lower grade to keep the price of the lights down.
and also because maybe they don't have access to higher grade HA...

Concept

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't mind a few dings or scrathes as long as the light still functions its all good. I am pretty careful with my lights though so it takes a while before they are showimg some character.

Mikeg23

Enlightened
Finish durability doesn't matter, it's a tool. The only time a scratch bothers me is if it is on the lense.

I feel the same way about my hand tools and most of my guns. I also feel this way about my knives, but to a lesser extent. Nicks on a knife blade or a bent tip bother me, but that effects it's use. I try to keep stuff nice, but things happen.

Grubbster

Enlightened
I have to admit, finish is important to me in a keychain light. I don't mind a little character mark, but I don't want it looking like it has been through war. That is why I keychain a stainless matterhorn. It is one tough little bugger, and there is no "finish" to worry about.

Upplyst

Newly Enlightened
Manzerick said:
my ARC-P is much more worn that my girlfriends of the same age.

I wouldn't trade it due ot the "Real life" marks it has :)

although I gave her the arc before i could test it (her's is MUCH brighter)

You have young and quite worn girlfriends? :)