Tutorial on resetting bias to 550ma in KL1 head?

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm getting ready to put a reflector in my KL1 head and I'm wondering how some of the people here set their bias from 350ma to 550ma. Are there pictures? Is it difficult? I understand that its basically soldering a resistor on top of an existing one. Am I correct?

schiesz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you have a picture of the circuit board of the KL1? If its similar to the KL3 I might be able to point you in the right direction. I might even have some resistors for ya.

Also, haven't you done this mod before KDog?

schiesz

schiesz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, the reason I have the resistors is that I was planning on changing the bias in my old KL3. I swapped in a reflector (shaved down McR27 in one and IMS27 in the other) and changed the LED to a better bin, but couldn't get the back side open on either. Stock bias in a KL3 going to a SX0H with a reflector turns out to be very nice!

I do have the instructions for the KL3 bias mod saved somewhere, so if the KL1 electronics are similar I might be able to figure it out. Basically, when you stack resistors you get half the resistance. So if there is a .5 ohm resistor, and you stack another .5 on it, you get .25 ohm resistance.

The resistors in the KL3 are little tiny suckers, so get out your magnifying glass and fine tip iron.

schiesz

Last edited: