Do You Think It's Only A Matter of Time Before The Far East Jump On The Cree XR-E!

Gene

Flashlight Enthusiast
Man, I've been here on CPF since the beginning and I've never seen such a feeding frenzy like that with the Cree XR-E's! You guys here have gone NUTS!

I have to tip my hat to Don and Wayne that they don't ask more for their A19 lights with the Crees! Man, I think our wives and girlfriends haven't had a pair of shoes that have envoked more passion!

I'm wondering since these Crees are the do all and end all of all light emitters, do you think our far east manufacturers here won't be far behind?

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Do You Think It's Only A Matter of Time Before The Far East Jump On The Cree XR-E!

In the past I would say it would take them a while. But companies like Fenix seem to move pretty fast, so I'd say not too long.

The Cree is defiantly the winner in flux performance, but it's beam angle is so different that it will take longer for lights to use it since it's not just a new luxeon that would be a basic swap...

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Re: Do You Think It's Only A Matter of Time Before The Far East Jump On The Cree XR-E!

I would think they'd be on it pretty soon. Certainly haven't been dragging their feet coming out new products to relieve us of our money lately. We're a willing proving ground.

Geoff

marxs

Enlightened

i think early next year well be seeing new products from other manufacturers with high flux leds, xr-e aside. this is indeed exciting times, and ive never seen a feeding frenzy like the cree has created.

chesterqw

Flashlight Enthusiast

well, they could get going and change the dang beam pattern before making a fool of themselves.

Art Vandelay

Flashlight Enthusiast
If they don't start soon, they will have climb to the top of a mountain of patents. Reflectors & optics you name it, it's happening now. McGizmo has already proven that it can be done, and that it is worth doing. I wish some of the custom modders would put out a few prototypes.

Last edited:

Concept

Flashlight Enthusiast

I think Fenix will be one of the first. If they are at all reading the local market they will already be well into their R&D.

easilyled

Flashaholic

Yes it may be better to sit tight and wait for a while rather than being
too Cree-dy.

Raven

Enlightened
I'm rather amused by the whole thing. It's as if people didn't expect this to happen. There's just too much money at stake for there not to be incremental improvements. The specs do look promising, though, but that hardly means the current cream of the crop is in danger of becoming obsolete, because of it.

Fanatics will upgrade every development cycle, and many will probably upgrade every other cycle, but most will stick with what they have, until it breaks.

That's what you see with digital cameras. People are no longer running out to buy the next upgrade to their favorite camera, just because it has more mega-pixels. Not when their current camera does everything they need it for.

It will eventually be the same with flashlights.

marxs

Enlightened
im no expert but the law of competition tells me that they will be releasing something that is at par or bests the XR-E...competition breeds price drops as well....well sometimes at least :grin2:

PhotonBoy said:
I'm wondering if Lumileds has been sitting on some surprises in the back corner of the lab.

Blacklight

Enlightened

Lumlieds will have very comprable numbers Q1, or so a little bird tells me, and even better efficiency later in the year, using the K2.

bitslammer

Enlightened
Blacklight said:
Lumlieds will have very comprable numbers Q1, or so a little bird tells me, and even better efficiency later in the year, using the K2.

This reminds me of the rumors that both AMD and Intel have "the next 3 new chips" either Pentium 8's or Athalon 8000's locked up in a vault. No doubt there are prototyes and such that each vendor has hidden. It's probably a matter of wanting to keep a trump card (sorry for that idiom) handy.

I remember reading a well thoguh out business article one time explaining the logic in trying to stay only 1-2 steps ahead of the competition. Makes sense to me. Once yuo let the cat out of the bag the others know where they need to be to jump ahead.

greg_in_canada

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm sure there will be clones. But will they have the same lifespan (at rated current and/or overdriven)? Just like some of the 5mm LEDs start out very bright but degrade fast, especially if overdriven.

Greg