MiniM@g BHC Carley 1499 Hotwire Mod (Tailcap Pics Added)

H22A

Flashlight Enthusiast
Update: Nov 8, 2006

I got some drawings back last night and would like to share it with everyone. There are two style (SW01 and Aleph). Which one do you like?

lamp1.jpg

lamp11.jpg

lamp3.jpg

lamp31.jpg

****************************************************************************************************
First of all I would like to thanks Campbell for his kindness in sending me Carley 1499 to run this prototype.

If you are running hotwire set up in BHC you will experience head wobbles with TL-3 setup. This due to head has to be turned almost to the last thread to get proper focus. To solve the problem I used regular washer and placed it in front of ceramic based. However, this is just a quick fix and wobbles still exist, but slightly less.

I noticed that Carley 1499 is even worse than TL-3 due to longer bulb and filament. Head must be turn at a point where thread has to be disengaged to get that sweet spot.

To solve this problem, I have machine shop made me a 3mm thick spacer and a new tail cap. The reason for new tail cap has to do with additional 3mm recess from the head, which rendered original tail cap useless in off mode. New tail cap solve this problem with shorter threads design and additional bulb holder in the center as original M@g tail cap (Not shown in pics but next proto will have one and o-ring also).

Testing with Carley 1499 shows that head wobbles nearly eliminated (about 95% improvement) and twisting on/off function works great. To get that sweet focusing spot, require only one full turn and should be less with TL-3 set up. The extra length added with new tail cap is not much. Judging by eye is less than 1cm.

This is setup for BHC C1499 and TL-3. I'm not sure it will work with normal head and metal reflector that comes with hotwire kit or not. I'll have to check later.

I'm sorry about my English. I have done the best I can to explain. Should you have any questions, please post here and I'll try to answer them. Thank you for looking and enjoy the show.

H22A,

IMG_1513.jpg

IMG_1514.jpg

IMG_1516.jpg

IMG_1517.jpg

IMG_1512.jpg

BHCCarley1499Beamshot-1.jpg

BHCCarley1499Beamshot-2.jpg

BHCCarley1499Beamshot-3.jpg

Last edited:

Nebula

Enlightened
Re: MiniM@g BHC Carley 1499 Hotwire Mod and Beam shots

H22A - Now that is what I have been waiting for! Will you make a kit available? Can you tell me more about the tailcap. Does it - or can it incorporate a switch? Thanks. Kirk

H22A

Flashlight Enthusiast

Nebula said:
H22A - Now that is what I have been waiting for! Will you make a kit available? Can you tell me more about the tailcap. Does it - or can it incorporate a switch? Thanks. Kirk

If there is enough demand, I will do it. This is still development stage and I have already made several changes. For switch, I tried Kroll which don't fit then the smallest McClicky still don't fit. So, I'm running out of options and it looks like twist on/off for now.

sizzlechest

Enlightened

I too would like to thank CAMPBELL for these bulbs. I haven't had a chance to tinker with mine yet. This looks like a great set up. Count me in if you offer these.

Thanks!

Nebula

Enlightened

H22A said:
If there is enough demand, I will do it. This is still development stage and I have already made several changes. For switch, I tried Kroll which don't fit then the smallest McClicky still don't fit. So, I'm running out of options and it looks like twist on/off for now.

H22A - Thanks for the reply. I can live with twist. If you do move forward I would hope that you offer the tailcaps in bare, nickel and black. I would take one of each, plus several extra "washers." Good luck with your project. I await your decision. Kirk

nemul

Flashlight Enthusiast

looking good

Nell

Enlightened

Looks like I will need to place another order when it is available. Extra washers is a good idea too.

pcaf

Newly Enlightened

I would also be interested in a spacer tail cap kit if produced! Have you looked at the Terralux tail switch, would it provide any more space or material to remove?

Paul

myk

Enlightened

and don't forget to make sure it fits in a 3AA mmag LED body too please =)

3x3.7-4.2volt li-ions = 11.2 -12.6 volts, what kind of bulb can we run off of that? :candle: :naughty: :rock:

(assuming we would just need a bigger spring?)

count me in either way -

Last edited:

H22A

Flashlight Enthusiast

I think I get some made in small run. What do you think if original M@g tailcap spring is used? Tail cap spring in the photo is just mock up. I'm plaining on using original M@g spring which all of you should already have and looks much better. I'll post update on final prototype soon.

Nell

Enlightened

I know the photos of the tailcap are only samples. Can you do a little design deatils change to make it match the head in machining?

Just my thoughts to make the unit a super torch.

Nebula

Enlightened

H22A said:
I think I get some made in small run. What do you think if original M@g tailcap spring is used? Tail cap spring in the photo is just mock up. I'm plaining on using original M@g spring which all of you should already have and looks much better. I'll post update on final prototype soon.

Setapong - I can get by with the stock springs. I have many on hand. Will the "small run" include style treatments similar to the BHC's? If not I will still want at least two sets, plus extra washers. Thanks. Kirk

H22A

Flashlight Enthusiast

Nell said:
I know the photos of the tailcap are only samples. Can you do a little design deatils change to make it match the head in machining?

Just my thoughts to make the unit a super torch.

Ues I'll definately do that. By adding curves or angles should souped up the look.

H22A

Flashlight Enthusiast

Nebula said:
Setapong - I can get by with the stock springs. I have many on hand. Will the "small run" include style treatments similar to the BHC's? If not I will still want at least two sets, plus extra washers. Thanks. Kirk

Yes, I will add design to it. Finishing will be similar to BHC (nickel, HAII black and HAIII NA)

Nell

Enlightened
#2 looks rather standard. #1 is very different, can't say I love it. I think it is missing a little detailing on #1. Maybe some texturing on the raised edges.

Nebula

Enlightened
Setapong - My vote goes to the SW01 (baker's hat). From a visual perspective the larger tailcap balances the big head much better. I would also think that the larger tailcap would make the light feel more balanced in the hand. That said, Nell is right - the SW01 could use some detail. Perhaps something - very fine - but sufficient to bring the three pieces together visually, yet at the same time not take away from the classic baker's hat style of the tailcap.

The Aleph style is nice, albeit more traditional. BTW - did I mention that I prefer the SWO1? Thanks for asking for input. I really hope the project moves forward. Kirk

H22A

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you both. I've already advised the CAD guy to add details to SW01 as you suggested. Hopefully I get feedback soon. Thanks.