Digital Video Recorders

Lonewolf

Enlightened
Anyone have one of these? Is there anything I need to know when buying one? What are your opinions of DVR's?

Brock

Flashaholic
Hi, Darell and I just bought the Canon ZR 40. It is the entry level DV camera. It is pretty nice. My only issue with it so far is if you move the movies to the computer and edit them, you can't move thm back to the DV tape via the firewire.

The camera is pretty small and light and work well. Darell what am I forgetting?

Darell

Flashaholic
Oops...

Brock - what's this about not being able to go from the HD to the DV? Yikes! I still don't have my firewire card, but I just assumed that would be possible! Arrrg.

Oop. Sorry - I'll get out or your DVR thread now. But I'll be back when others respond. I've been interested in a DVR for a while now too (though I must say I also didn't know they were called DVR's)

- Darell

Darell

Flashaholic
Tivo and ReplayTV are hard disk based video recorders (replacement for VCR) but oh, so much more! You can "pause" live tv with the push of a button (it just keeps recording at that point, and you can begin play at a later time, even if the show hasn't yet finished). Random access, automatically programmable from a menu (you can record everything that has "light" in the title, for example). The latest ReplayTV is internet connected as well, and you can even transmit entire recorded shows to other ReplayTV owners. The have very good commercial skip now too.

I seriously want one, but haven't convinced myself to part with the cash yet since I don't watch TV much anyway...

Lonewolf

Enlightened
I didn't know they were called DVR's either until I started looking into them last night. I always went by the brandname Tivo.